Status
Not open for further replies.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC

I've noticed that air flow has a lot to do with vapor/flavor... Have you played with different air hole positions?

Beyond that... Your setup sounds very complicated... My personal opinion and preference...

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

Doubled up 3mm Silica
Just under 2" of 28 gauge Kanthal
Evenly spaced

Comes out to about 0.8 ohms... Perfect.

------------------
Sent using psychic mind control powers... and Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheBoom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2013
The Dot
Built mine the day I got it with the short piece of silica and 32 kanthal that came with it. Been hitting great since that day and beats my gennies in terms of flavour and vapour production anytime.

That being said mesh wicks do have an issue with flavour sometimes and especially so if you run silica through it. They seem to work against each other.

Sometimes the best option is the simplest option.

SteamDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Rebublic of Texas
ok here's my input.
silica - so/so
xc-116-1/32"- 32ga @ 1.8 ohm - not so good.
xc-116-bigger- 30ga @ 1.4 ohm - damn near perfect.

IMAG0592.jpg

astrocity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
In a haze of vapor
How long are you guys letting the xc soak? I feel like mine tastes like hot mess similar to silica....I just cannot get a clean flavor out of my igo L..... do you get great flavor out of the gate? I pulled my xc and it looked a bit burnt.....seems really hot overall whether im using 32g or 29g kanthal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
I let my xc soak for as long as it takes to put the drip tip back on and put the mod in my face. This stuff is amazing.

I second the keep it simple comment, and the air hole needs to be positioned just right, so the incoming air passes right over the coil.

The best setup for an IGO it's what works for you with what wick and coil materials you have, what kind of device you're connecting it to, and your preferred type of vape. I'd compare your question to: "what's your favorite juice?"

That said, I'd recommend ditching the mesh. If you're using a mechanical mod then I'd recommend shooting for about .8ohm. If you don't have any I'd recommend you order some xc-116 and use your silica in the meantime.

I just wrapped up a 1.1 ohm coil with .8mm ribbon. Ended up higher res than I expected so I'll try one less wrap next time. Still hits like Debo though.

Last edited:
Loving this thread but having some questions if you don't mind ...

What is xc and where do you get it?
The "ribbon coil" I guess is the resistance wire in your pic that you've wrapped around your wick?
Where did you get that wick & the ribbon coil?
Why choose ribbon coil over regular wire? Isn't it harder to wrap?

I use 32g kenthal resistance wire with 5 wraps around a doubled over 2 mil silica wick. I get around 2.0 ohms and vape at around 4.5 to 5 volts. I also place my coiled wick very close to the edge so I can align the hole there (drilled out to 1/16 in). My problem is that sometimes i get a perfect vape, other times its too harsh; as if the hole was rotated all the way around (but its not). I'm guessing it may be the long wire from the center post going towards the coil which I've located close to the edge that's getting too hot & over heating my vape. I notice the setups I see here aren't close the the air hole. Wouldn't that make the vape too harsh? Another problem I'm having is my setup gets gunked up rather quickly.
Any advice is very much appreciated.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
XC-116 is braided ceramic rope. I get my XC-116 from BigTex, they kiln treat it which is ESSENTIAL.

I got my .8mm ribbon wire from RTDVapor, looks like they're out of the .8mm right now

I heard ribbon was hard to work with before I got it, that it likes to unwind if you don't keep it tight, I have not found this to be the case. I always anneal it like I do round wire and it has been holding the shapes I put it in just as good as round kanthal does.

As of right now I personally haven't chosen ribbon over round. I'm still pretty new to rebuilding so I'm trying out different options. I plan to do another build or two with ribbon this week.

I think the reason people do choose it over round is surface area. With ribbon there is A LOT of surface area in direct contact with the wick material.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Loving this thread but having some questions if you don't mind ...

What is xc and where do you get it?
The "ribbon coil" I guess is the resistance wire in your pic that you've wrapped around your wick?
Where did you get that wick & the ribbon coil?
Why choose ribbon coil over regular wire? Isn't it harder to wrap?

I use 32g kenthal resistance wire with 5 wraps around a doubled over 2 mil silica wick. I get around 2.0 ohms and vape at around 4.5 to 5 volts. I also place my coiled wick very close to the edge so I can align the hole there (drilled out to 1/16 in). My problem is that sometimes i get a perfect vape, other times its too harsh; as if the hole was rotated all the way around (but its not). I'm guessing it may be the long wire from the center post going towards the coil which I've located close to the edge that's getting too hot & over heating my vape. I notice the setups I see here aren't close the the air hole. Wouldn't that make the vape too harsh? Another problem I'm having is my setup gets gunked up rather quickly.
Any advice is very much appreciated.

I make my coil as close to the hole as possible too. Make sure that both legs are equally as long, not just the one to the center post. You want the coil to be in center of the heated wire, since wire heats hottest from the center out. Having just one long leg moves the center, causing a hot leg.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
If you are going to use mesh make sure you roll it up tight for a dripping setup the tighter the better you don't need to over oxidize it that will interfere with flavor. Definitely 1ohm or lower 28ga on a mechanical mod. Using mesh means using a lot if juice cause it tends to run hotter than other wicking materials. I've tried everything wick wise except the ceramic which I'm going to get some of soon. Really though it comes down to your air hole placement and I believe juice you're using for best flavor,throat hit and vapor cloud. Just keep tinkering and I'm sure you will find the right combo that suits you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread