SS Mesh wicks, dry burn to clean the coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
Vape mail brought an RSST today, got the mesh and coils installed, pretty straight forward, oxidized, works great, no problems. would like to keep it that way, so I gotta ask, how do you clean the wick and coil? I have a Terminator C, and an Oddy clone, RSST was pretty easy build comparatively, but I am wondering, how do you clean the wicks and coils on a genesis. Main reason I ask is I use alot of vanillas and sweeteners in my mixes, and it always has caramelized on my silica wick and coil set ups, so I clean them and dry burn them fairly regularly. It keeps flavor and vapor production up. do you dry burn these too? I know you want to keep the oxidation, so before I do anything stupid, again, anybody got any advice and experience with caring for these? I googled and read threads on here, but most of it is about hot spots and getting coils installed on the mesh, not much about care thereof. thanks as always. cheers.

dezyner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2012
United States
I rinse mine off in the sink. Fill the tank with water a few times and shake it out. Once that done, I dry fire the coil. So far it hasn't really needed that but I do it anyway (it also tends to dry the water out of the mesh). Refill and vape.

Far out. that's what I was looking for. appreciate it. I take care of coils more than I need to, but I vape alot of stuff that needs burned off periodically. taking care of equipment is part of the gig for me. thanks, have a great weekend.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
When the tank is empty, I tip the mod to near horizontal, with the wick at 12 o'clock. Hit the power button repeatedly, until the coil eventually begins to glow. Eventually, the wick will dry out, and the crud on the coil will begin to form a whitish ash. Brush the ash off with a little Dentek brush. Make any adjustments to the coil, if necessary. Refill and vape.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I rinse mine off in the sink. Fill the tank with water a few times and shake it out. Once that done, I dry fire the coil. So far it hasn't really needed that but I do it anyway (it also tends to dry the water out of the mesh). Refill and vape.

I do this too and it works well. But for me, after I do this, the flavor is not really good for about half a tank.

edit...I have a coil that needs cleaning (SS mesh in a DID)... looking at it closely, it's kinda gunked up and the flavor is off. This time, instead of rinsing everything with water and dry burning the water off, I emptied the tank and dry burned. I took a soft toothbrush and gently brushed the coils. Refilled the tank. The coils are now clean and the flavor is back immediately instead of tasting bad for an hour. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread