Ithaka with no non resistance wire! Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada
Hey everyone just returned from a much needed holiday. I saw a lot of different setups, a lot of rebuild-able atomizers that all had post's for the positive and negative connections so no non-resistive wire was needed. I was wondering what everyone thought I am sure it could be done to Ithaka and the Ody? Me personally I don't mind using a small screw driver or Alan key to fasten wire. To be honest I think I will have to go pick up some reading glasses today my wire's are getting worse rather than better and an upgrade to just resistance wire would make my year. I know its been done in other atomizers but wouldn't it be the best in the Ithaka or Ody let me know what you think. Love my Ithaka but my wires made by me suck can't wait to order my ss window. Any news on the brass upgrade kits yet?

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Brass kits will be shipped with the GGTS batch Imeo made in about 2 weeks. You can orer your SS window now.

As for Ithaka with no no res wires it would require a complete design change. While I would love to see Imeo make a GG rebuildable that didn't require NR wire I don't see it happening for a while at best since Ithaka just came out and Imeo has a lot of projects. That being said if you don't like twisting wires I would recommend possibly using ready wires or buying a wire wielder. Also like Ody it is possible to built Ithaka with only 1 nr wire for the posative side and just lay the res wire in the metal negative channel.

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
There is a way to make the Ithaka work with out NR wires, I used to use it on Ody v1.
Take a piece of stiff wire, I used piece of spring that I straightened out. Take that piece of wire and wedge it in between the inside nut and the ceramic the shape it to run up the inside of the ceramic to the positive channel and curl it over the top edge of the ceramic. If you have a Ody v2 or an Ithaka the ground is already present. By adding a strip from the inside post, the positive would be present.
But....there is the issue of keeping a strong connection by simply placing your coil and wick on top of the ceramic channels and not using any NR wires. I tried adding a hook, a hoop, but retaining a solid contact was undependable. It can be done but it doesn't work as good as the original design does.

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
Thanks for the info I still can't believe how helpful everyone is and how they support each other its an example for the rest of the world

No problem I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now so I've got all their info in favorites lol. Honestly the only reason I don't have a TSAF is the turn around time.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Making Ithaca with 2 bolts is the easiest thing in the world guys. We just put an adapter on Ithaca that has 2 bolts on it and thats it. But why do you want to make your life difficult? 2 bolts will have small distance between them, you will have to use a tool to assemble it and you have to be up to 40 years old to see what you are doing there

AdamAnd

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2011
Ajax, Canada
Yes Imeo I had Laser eye correction one year ago but still need reading glasses yes it sucks getting old. It was just a thought I watched a lot of people wire this type of unit up fast and easy with great results it was just a thought my coil making skills should be getting better all the time but to be honest I don't think they are going to try and get a wire welder maybe that will help. Just thought if there where 4 posts you could do dual coils X or parallel and save on the non resistance wire and wrapping time. Doesn't hurt to ask if anyone could come up with a better system I am sure it would be you. Just off topic here but I can't seem to login to the COV site to preorder my steel window for Ithaka.
Making Ithaca with 2 bolts is the easiest thing in the world guys. We just put an adapter on Ithaca that has 2 bolts on it and thats it. But why do you want to make your life difficult? 2 bolts will have small distance between them, you will have to use a tool to assemble it and you have to be up to 40 years old to see what you are doing there

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
all atomizers are made with 2 bolts, like the A1 atomizer 1-2 years ago Adam. Only GG (and some others after GG) are made like GG series. As for the time to make a coil, be sure that Ody-Penelope-Ithaca are the atomizers that need 2 minutes exactly to make a working coil on them and without the need of glasses too. I already did that on one of my videos. The only time you have to spend is to twist wires but you can make a lot of them when you have a little time at home and use them every time you need a new coil, or you can buy the premade ones. They are very cheap as you know.

And dont forget that resistance wire is very thin and not very easy to be handled. No Resistance wire is thicker, more visible and you can feel it in your hands much better

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO

I will throw in my .02 since you comented.

I think the tools required statement and difficulty is down to the individial. While I think that Ithaka, Ody, Penelopy, and iAtty are easy to set up I personally find that I get the best results when i twist the wires with tools. My joints are stronger and smaller then hand twisting and are easier to manage because of this. On the other hand I use a china rebuildable on my wooden VV bottom fed mod because there isn't currently a GG atty that will work with it. And while I do absolutely need a screwdriver to tighten the wires down I don't find it any more difficult to set up then any of my GG attys since I normally rebuild it when I am at home with my rebuild supply kit which has a screwdriver included. I can say either one can be fun to work with or at time a bit annoying. So while for me I don't mind the res no res setups of GG attys I can see why some people would prefer a res only version of a gg rebuildable.

As for ready wires. While I am very thankful that you make them available at a very fair price I prefer to build my own coils. I have used about 6 ready wires 2 broke because I was to rough with them the other 4 were great. The joint is small so they are great to work with but I like the ability to set up my resistance exactly the way I like it. I also like that I can leave extra wire to work with and handle.

That being said if you ever decided to make a Ithaka style rebuildable that didn't use nr wire I would be first in line to buy it. I don't hate joining wires as a matter of fact it can be quite pleasurable making a perfect wire or coil setup. And someday I might buy a wire joiner even if for no other reason that welding 2 wires together looks fun. But you will still have to pry my current Ithaka away from my cold dead hands. It is easily in my top 10 purchases ever made. Not just for e-cigs but anything I have bought. VIR will be right up there along with it :)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Thanks a lot for your post fright my friend:)

On Ithaca you can make a coil when you are out of home too without the need of tools if you agree. And if you want to use tools to make better twisting then you do it at home when you are resting and then its easy to use them outside home. And the long wires make you feel very comfortable while you put them around the big bolts of Ithaca and its o-ring, while the thin and small R wire is difficult to go around a small nut on other atomizers.

You have atomizers made like this. I know that you are familiar with them. But you also know that if you already have your wires ready, then Ithaca is much easier to be build at home or outside home:)

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
I agree with you Imeo. And I normally do exactly as you say and build multiple coils at once while relaxing watching a movie or whatever. I can build my gg rebuildables as easily and quickly as most anything I have tried. That said personally I am 100% happy with my Ithaka but I can see how some might prefer a nr setup :)

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Thank you fright. I know that some people are used to only R wires, but I really think that they have to try GG atomizers to see how easier they are. To my opinion people that cant twist wires when they are relaxed at home, they too cant use only thin R wires around small bolts. But the ready made wires gives a solution to those people too.

LongHaul

Howdy Y'All
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Bradenton, Florida
I personally would like to see a cup that has a small screw on it for the negative side and a small piece that goes under or replaces the center nut and comes up for the positive with a set screw on it as well. No need for dual wire. I have these thoughts cause I can't twist without tools and while I love my ody and Ithaka I hate the dual wire set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread