Second hand nicotine from vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
From what I've read, the nic in e-vape disperses quicker than in analog smoke. However, erring on the side of caution is always best, especially around kids in such a confined space. Just remember also, now you are not exposing him to the other 3,999 chemicals in analog smoke that can linger on your clothes and in your breath, he was more at risk then than he is now.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
According to the information I have read, the water vapor produced by ecigs dissipates in less than 9 seconds, considerably faster than cigarette smoke. Additionally, it does not leave deposits or contaminate everything exposed to it. That said, even second hand smoke has not been definitively proven to be an actual health risk therefore vapor from an ecig should be even less so. Of potentially more concern might be the example set by vaping in front of a child. For that reason alone I would refrain from any exposure to the child if at all possible.

Reactions: heath71

Cyia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Independence, Missouri
I recall someone saying they for the last 2 years have vaped near their pet bird and have done tests on the bird to see if nicotine was being transferred to the bird an all tests on the bird came back negative. And they said they vaped literally next to their cage so I'm going to take a guess and say it's not bad as long as you don't blow it in the kids face.

Also read earlier that everyone has some sort of level of nicotine in them naturally being intake from foods ect and our environment that carry it naturally.

Don't know how well you feel about all that jazz but as I stated before I think in a car with the windows down and you aren't blowing it directly in his face, he should be fine.

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
"Conclusions: For all byproducts measured, electronic cigarettes produce very small exposures relative to tobacco cigarettes. The study indicates no apparent risk to human health from e-cigarette emissions based on the compounds analyzed."
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Regardless of any studies I personally choose not to vape around children.

Last edited:

iceman68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
I recall someone saying they for the last 2 years have vaped near their pet bird and have done tests on the bird to see if nicotine was being transferred to the bird an all tests on the bird came back negative. And they said they vaped literally next to their cage so I'm going to take a guess and say it's not bad as long as you don't blow it in the kids face.

I feel sorry for the bird being used as a test subject with no say in the matter. :p It's kinda like the canary in a coal mine.

And how did the subsequent testing get done? I can just imagine the conversation at the veterinarian:

Bird Owner: "I'd like to get my bird tested for nicotine."
Vet: "How much does he smoke?"
Bird Owner: "Nobody smokes, we vape right next to his cage."
Vet: "You what?"

I'm glad the bird is okay.

BigLebowski

ECF Veteran
May 17, 2013
Clearfield, UT
I feel sorry for the bird being used as a test subject with no say in the matter. :p It's kinda like the canary in a coal mine.

And how did the subsequent testing get done? I can just imagine the conversation at the veterinarian:

Bird Owner: "I'd like to get my bird tested for nicotine."
Vet: "How much does he smoke?"
Bird Owner: "Nobody smokes, we vape right next to his cage."
Vet: "You what?"

I'm glad the bird is okay.

I can see the conversation happening, the bird is just hanging out waiting for another hit, chirping like a fiend.

vapo jam

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2013
county of orange, ca

Also read earlier that everyone has some sort of level of nicotine in them naturally being intake from foods ect and our environment that carry it naturally.

Don't know how well you feel about all that jazz but as I stated before I think in a car with the windows down and you aren't blowing it directly in his face, he should be fine.

i saw that one too - something about how bird's respiratory systems are a lot faster and a lot more sensitive than humans, so since no chemicals from ecigs were detected in the bird, there's supposedly zero chance that it would have any effect on a person. (don't know how true this statement is, just repeating what i remember)

wish i saved the link... i'll post it if i can find it

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
There have been at least two major studies since the thread quoted above of the so-called "second-hand vapor":

ClearStream Air Published! | ClearStream by FlavourArt

IVAQS Project

As someone else put it, you would have to exhale the vapor directly into their mouth in order for someone else to receive any measurable nicotine from exhaled vapor (and even then it wouldn't be enough to produce any type of effect).

Also, check the CASAA website at CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (and join while you're there! :) ) for many other documents on this and other related topics.

markent

Jun 1, 2013
Samoens France
This is a question I have been wondering about since I do vape sometimes in the car with the window rolled down with my son in the car. I was wondering if I am exposing him to nicotine and how much? Anyone know?

I think that as one of the largest attacks on the use of e cigarettes is that they will encourage younger people to to become nicotine users, that not vaping in frpnt of them is probably more responsible, firstly this reduces the risk of normalising nicotine use hence reducing thennumber of people taking up nicotine use and there by lessening one argument in favour of restrictive legislation

mtw4shore

Moved On
Nov 7, 2012
I think we can all agree that we don't want our children to smoke. It is a filthy, unhealthy habit with more drawbacks than could be written. That is why we quit! The difference between smoking and vaping is not known to a child, especially younger ones. I can't say if you should or shouldn't vape in your car with your child, windows up or down, that's your right as their parent. All I can ask is- do YOU think you should? Go with what you think is right.
My parents smoked in the car with the windows up. My sisters and I would open the windows to get the smoke out because it would burn our eyes, and we would get yelled at for letting out the cold/warm air out. For that reason, I never smoked in the car with my daughter, and I don't vape with her either. :2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread