Rebuilding without an ohm meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
I just sat down to rebuild a Ce5 head. I do not have an ohm meter. I am using cotton for my wick, and I read somewhere that when using cotton, the only thing that will happen if there is a short, is that it just won't work. Now I am second-guessing myself.
Am I right?

I don't want to like, blow up or anything.

i will be putting this head on a puck-style mod, 4AAA.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
The worst that can happen is your battery blowing up in your face. Not probable but possible. The material of the wick has no real bearing on the effects of a short. I've always had a hard time getting a good reading with a multimeter, even good ones. I've got a couple mods that I use to check resistance. If I didn't have them I'd get one of the test boxes with the 510 threads. They seem to work pretty good, are simple and reliable.

cedric212

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

E_DeCastro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
SOCAL, USA
just put the leads in (red on red and black on black) turn the dial to "ohms" shuold be the ohm symbol. then put one lead on the center pin of the atomizer and the other on the case/ threads of the connector then you should be able to read the resistance.

edit black on the comm port and the red in the middle port.

Last edited:

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
I am testing the entire head after I completely put it together- however I think (hope) I may have found my problem...after getting flustered and picking up my tray to set everything aside for awhile, my positive tip of the multimeter meter fell off on to the floor!! So my thinking would be if it was loose the whole time, probably wouldn't be reading properly LOL.

We have done some careful re-attachment and once the glue dries I will be retesting and seeing if I just rebuilt a head 5 times for no dang reason!

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Short the two leads together you should read 0 or very close to it. .01ohms

Well it was reading about 2.3 so I was subtracting that out of my head-reading results before the whole fall-apart trick- now it's reading 7.0 if I touch the leads together and let it settle down.
ETA: well now I am getting a 2.7 when touching them together- looks like this thing is just junk.

Last edited:

E_DeCastro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
SOCAL, USA
Well it was reading about 2.3 so I was subtracting that out of my head-reading results before the whole fall-apart trick- now it's reading 7.0 if I touch the leads together and let it settle down.
ETA: well now I am getting a 2.7 when touching them together- looks like this thing is just junk.
sorry for the late reply. it seems you are having a problem with your meter. try pushing the leads into the meter to see if they are seated. i would also unplug one lead and put the tip of the other socket of the one you just removed. and then vice versa to verify your leads are good. if its the meter might try a new meter. sorry for all your troubles.

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
sorry for the late reply. it seems you are having a problem with your meter. try pushing the leads into the meter to see if they are seated. i would also unplug one lead and put the tip of the other socket of the one you just removed. and then vice versa to verify your leads are good. if its the meter might try a new meter. sorry for all your troubles.

The black reads about 12ohm when put where the red goes, the red reads about 4 . No clue what they should be doing lol

1LastShot

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2012
Right behind you
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread