It's official. E cigs to be registered as a medicine in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
"Deborah Arnott, chief executive of ASH, said: "MHRA regulation can ensure that adult smokers can continue to be able to buy e-cigarettes as easily as tobacco, but promotion to children or non-smokers will be prohibited."

If that's all that is involved I'd support the move. If however we have to by our stuff exclusively from pharmacies at 2mg or lower strength then I would be violently opposed to this.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
E-cigarettes to be regulated - MHRA - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

A second article. The problem is the approval process and ultimately who will be capable of passing the "stringent testing". Ultimately, the costs will increase dramatically, I suspect.

Our research has shown that existing electronic cigarettes and other nicotine containing products on the market are not good enough to meet this public health priority.

Of course their research is based on pharma standards used for drugs as opposed to the standards used on cigarettes.

Last edited:

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
This is a terrible decision, although I'm not surprised it's happened. I think we're about to witness a long drawn-out court battle.

I will write further on this shortly, once I've collected my thoughts - but it has serious implications elsewhere. We already know that the MHRA will be pushing for the EU to follow suit, and once this has happened I think we can say goodbye to the current e-cigarette industry in Europe.

What remains on the market in 3 year's time is anyone's guess - but I don't believe it will be the products that vapers want and need.

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
This is a terrible decision, although I'm not surprised it's happened. I think we're about to witness a long drawn-out court battle.

I will write further on this shortly, once I've collected my thoughts - but it has serious implications elsewhere. We already know that the MHRA will be pushing for the EU to follow suit, and once this has happened I think we can say goodbye to the current e-cigarette industry in Europe.

What remains on the market in 3 year's time is anyone's guess - but I don't believe it will be the products that vapers want and need.

Thanks for getting back to us, Smokey.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the hard work you've done for us so far. I'm so sorry it has come to this.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

JJ

icehunter

Sep 2, 2012
uk
ok so immediate impact is nouthing
hardware will aways be available just like buying a lighter or pipe
now diy should not change if you buy from a licence chemical suppliers

what will it hit the company making elite and the other disposable cig yes big time

will it stop the mum and pop resell web sites no it may increase price but how many sites do we know were they make there own hardware ? very few there mostly reseller

so the question is what's the real impact my take is it will stop unasfe supplier of liquids that we just dont know whats in it .a label may say 54g or
pg but the truth is you just dont know how its been made cut or anything so onthat side it can be good news

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada

so true, so true :(

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
The "challenge" I have with this "regulation mentality"...is that it backfires.

Example:
Let's say, for example, that in the USA we decide to make e-cigs and NRT's prescription-only. Thus, only available to tobacco users trying to quit/switch.

What would happen? I guess, if you want nicotine, you'd have to start smoking so you could then turn around and get a prescription???? lol.
What happens with cigs? Are they prescription only? No. But e-cigs are. :facepalm:

I know, it's been said before. CES even has it in her signature line. Which are they trying to ban and why?

What about NRT's in the UK? Prescription only?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
They didn't ban ecigs, and are allowing them to still be unregulated for a 3 year period, until they can figure out a way to have regulations on them which won't create a major impact on the ecig community is far from terrible.

A man condemned to the death penalty and gets a stay of execution, is still condemned to die at some point unless he receives a pardon. The industry has received a stay of execution, nothing else... so yes it is terrible unless the decision is overturned. May not affect us initially but it has the potential to!

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
The "challenge" I have with this "regulation mentality"...is that it backfires.

Example:
Let's say, for example, that in the USA we decide to make e-cigs and NRT's prescription-only. Thus, only available to tobacco users trying to quit/switch.

What would happen? I guess, if you want nicotine, you'd have to start smoking so you could then turn around and get a prescription???? lol.
What happens with cigs? Are they prescription only? No. But e-cigs are. :facepalm:

I know, it's been said before. CES even has it in her signature line. Which are they trying to ban and why?

What about NRT's in the UK? Prescription only?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Why would you want nicotine is the ?

jSquared

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
London, UK
It could have been a lot worse.

Exactly how? An outright ban with immediate effect was never really on the cards - not in the UK. A lot of us have seen this coming for a very long time, and, believe me, it doesn't get much worse than this. It may well be just the first nail in the coffin, but the lid's already on.

JJ

Last edited:

jerzi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2013
Florida, USA
A man condemned to the death penalty and gets a stay of execution, is still condemned to die at some point unless he receives a pardon. The industry has received a stay of execution, nothing else... so yes it is terrible unless the decision is overturned. May not affect us initially but it has the potential to!

Ecigs weren't condemned to death., Ecigs have already got the pardon, they just need to fight for the terms of release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread