Throat Bleeding from E-Cig???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoAlias

Dec 25, 2011
SF, CA
Hi Everyone, quick question:

Is bleeding throat a known issue from e-cig ?

I'm 35 and I switched to vaping from 1pack/day AmericaN Spirit about 18 months ago. Intermittently I've been getting blood in the throat, first only in the mornings, now it comes throughout the day sometimes also.

It seems to be related to dry mouth - meaning, when I get dehydrated from vaping, it seems to coincide more with blood in spit/taste of blood in my mouth, but that correlation could be wrong. I vape only Mister E Liquid gray matter formulated with 50% VG

At first I thought it was from gums, but I now determined it's definitely from the throat. Sometimes I can sit there and spit up several balls of red bloody spit from my throat until the spit goes pinkish or normal white color.

I did a quick search on the net but couldn't really find anything. Is this from e-cig or a sign of deeper health problems? I feel as healthy as I have in my life, so I'm hoping it's not serious?

Is this just dehydration in the throat, cracking from being too dried out from the PG? I have kind of been ignoring this for a while but realized I should probably find out the bottom of it or quit vaping itself also.

THANKS!!!!

Reactions: Karrah

Leal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2010
Montana
I haven't heard of this before. Vaping does dehydrate and it is important to drink a lot of water. There is also a possibility that you are sensitive to PG. try getting a liquid that has a higher VG content. Aside from all that, it is important to go to a doctor. The Internet isn't a good substitute for a physician.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
First of all you say this has been happening for 18 months? I think you should have gone to see a doctor or if you are typical person now a days that might not have health insurance got to a free clinic. It could be all sorts of things especially as a past smoker or it might not even be related to smoking but something else.

It could be as simple as a sinus infection or something more serious. It could be from severe dehydration but I cant imagine you would let yourself get so dehydrated that you would get bleeding of the mucous membranes. I know this sounds gross but many people get dry mucous membranes and pick their noses to the point that you might have broken some capillaries and you are not bleeing down your nose but the back of the nose and its going down your throat.

I say this with the deepest sincerity and worry, but seriously get your silly .... down to a doctor. :)

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Is your nose dry? Do you ever see blood when you blow it or is it crusted blood? If so, it could be like post nasal drip but with some blood. I have alot to cough up in the mornings from having post nasal drip during the night. Its especially bad this allergy season. If it was a tear or bleed in the throat it would continue and I would think there would be pain. I vape Grey Matter 12 and 18mg and GM is the strongest TH juice Mr E makes so if your throat had a sore you would definitely feel it inhaling. Disclaimer: I'm no doctor... just using logic as I would if it was me. If you do have dry nose, Ayr gel works well and you can get it most anywhere like Walgreens. Also, saline nasal spray helps. And, of course, if none of this pertains or doesn't help... get to a doctor.

Edit: that post nasal drip stuff that gets coughed up feels like its coming from the throat or just below the base of it in the chest. When the nasal membranes are dry, they make a lot of mucous trying to sooth them. The nose can feel dry and even stuffy but between the nose and throat its full of mucous and goes down the throat. Okay... TMI... nuff said.:oops:

Last edited:

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
BASICALLY, VAPING DEHYDRATED YOU. IT PULLS MOISTURE OUT OF YOUR BODIES NECK CELLS, NOSE CELLS, ETC.. AND THIS WATER ATTATCHES TO OUR GLYCOL AND GLYCERINE THROUGH PROCESS OF humectants. So your VG and PG gather all of your water and then when you exhale them, the plume of vapor is now high in the moisture that was pulled from your bodies water. So if you vape and stay dehydrated, vaping can literally wind up dehydrating you. This would be 1 explaination for why you are getting dry throat and blood. Still, a dr visit is best.

NoAlias

Dec 25, 2011
SF, CA
Is your nose dry? Do you ever see blood when you blow it or is it crusted blood? If so, it could be like post nasal drip but with some blood. I have alot to cough up in the mornings from having post nasal drip during the night. Its especially bad this allergy season. If it was a tear or bleed in the throat it would continue and I would think there would be pain. I vape Grey Matter 12 and 18mg and GM is the strongest TH juice Mr E makes so if your throat had a sore you would definitely feel it inhaling. Disclaimer: I'm no doctor... just using logic as I would if it was me. If you do have dry nose, Ayr gel works well and you can get it most anywhere like Walgreens. Also, saline nasal spray helps. And, of course, if none of this pertains or doesn't help... get to a doctor.

Edit: that post nasal drip stuff that gets coughed up feels like its coming from the throat or just below the base of it in the chest. When the nasal membranes are dry, they make a lot of mucous trying to sooth them. The nose can feel dry and even stuffy but between the nose and throat its full of mucous and goes down the throat. Okay... TMI... nuff said.:oops:

Thanks for your useful reply. This seems exactly like what it is. It is right beneath base of throat mostly in the mornings. Probably cause I sleep with my mouth wide open and throat and nose are dehydrated from vaping. I'm not sure why it happens in the day sometimes too though. I feel zero irritation in the throat or anywhere else... just see blood sometimes.

And yea like I said I'm definitely seeing the doctor, no need to reply with that anymore :D

Thanks everybody

NoAlias

Dec 25, 2011
SF, CA
BASICALLY, VAPING DEHYDRATED YOU. IT PULLS MOISTURE OUT OF YOUR BODIES NECK CELLS, NOSE CELLS, ETC.. AND THIS WATER ATTATCHES TO OUR GLYCOL AND GLYCERINE THROUGH PROCESS OF humectants. So your VG and PG gather all of your water and then when you exhale them, the plume of vapor is now high in the moisture that was pulled from your bodies water. So if you vape and stay dehydrated, vaping can literally wind up dehydrating you. This would be 1 explaination for why you are getting dry throat and blood. Still, a dr visit is best.

Perfect explanation... this seems like it for sure.
This is why I posted here, the doctor likely knows .... about humectants and would just mention me to stop vaping.
But yea I am do for a check up anyway, best to rule out anything more serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread