Should a biginner get thesed Fasttech Dripping RBA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
I planning on getting a vamo from fasttech and also wanted some rebuildable attys for dripping. I haven't had an rba before but I want to spend as little money as possible so I am considering these two: $5.56 SM20 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer for Empire KeCig K100 - blue / 2.4 and $6.14 V5 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer - 1.0

How hard are these to work with for a beginner? should I expect to have to replace the atomizers and where do i get spare parts for these, other than wicks and wires?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The inexpensive "clones" can be unsatisfying and problematic in surprising ways. Experienced RBA folk can sometimes tweak them into submission, sometimes not. I think that if a person doesn't have some experience with it, it can be confusing and frustrating to "do everything right" and not know why its not vaping right. For the combined cost of the two you mentioned, you might want to instead get one decent RBA. Say an IGO-L, or whatever name gets lots of good mention here in the RBA subforum. The RSST does have a decent reputation for being an easier build; but I would suggest starting with a dripper, as you had intended.

E_DeCastro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
SOCAL, USA
Last edited:

Kamoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
La Mirada, CA
IMO, drippers are easier to set up than genesis style atties like the RSST. No mesh to torch or hot spots to work out. And at those prices you can buy a couple of each & use them for spare parts. You should look into getting a cheap multimeter to check your coil resistance. These drippers perform better with sub-1 ohm coils on a mechanical mod & there are lots of threads here on ECF for different builds/modifications, have fun!

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
IMO, drippers are easier to set up than genesis style atties like the RSST. No mesh to torch or hot spots to work out. And at those prices you can buy a couple of each & use them for spare parts. You should look into getting a cheap multimeter to check your coil resistance. These drippers perform better with sub-1 ohm coils on a mechanical mod & there are lots of threads here on ECF for different builds/modifications, have fun!

thanks, that helps. won't my vamo tell me the ohms?

perhaps this one will do? http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002445/1179900-best-a830-digital-multimeter

Last edited:

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
my opinion was intended for an absolute beginner. my actual favorite device IS a cheapo Phoenix on SS mesh, to me those hit harder than and faster than anything else I have tried (various aga, termC, rsst, igo-l)

but in terms of ease of use, because the rsst has insulated wick hole + the bottom of you mesh won't touch any metal (because of the juice container) it eliminates the thing that frustrates rba/rda beginners the most: - shorts & hot spots (95% of the time for a decently wrapped coil)

on an rsst I just throw an unoxidized piece of mesh, wrap some kanthal 28 and I'm good to go in less than 3 mins.

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
IMO, drippers are easier to set up than genesis style atties like the RSST. No mesh to torch or hot spots to work out. And at those prices you can buy a couple of each & use them for spare parts.

I like that idea. i like the look of the cheaper atty but it seems like the atomizer is recessed which might make it harder to work. The cheaper one is 2.4 ohm. The other one says "Dual coil head, each measuring 3.4ohm individually (1ohm overall resistance)." i don't have a clue how 3.4 ohm individually adds up to 1ohm overall. Moreover, I think dual coils might present dexterity problems for a biginner like me.

ebhomepc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
United Kingdom
The nimbus clone from fasttech I have 2 from 2 separate orders one came with brass posts and a really deep well also thick steel top cap the other came with steel posts smaller drip well and thinner steel top cap both work really well. Remember don't just line the air hole make sure the coil is the same height as the air hole and lined up this prevents the really scratchy strong TH.

Just a note the screws and the Allen key I think are going to brake fast we need to find out what size screws to replace them with.

EDIT The top caps and driptips are really tight so your best sticking a drop of eliquid on the o rings to prevent them tearing. The quality of them are not bad especially for the price there are very miner machine blemishes but not noticeable. Overall I'm happy for the price no worse quality then my igo-l.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
Indy, when people talk about dual coils they talk about a circuit in parallel,

The total resistance is the inverse of the sum of the inverses:

resistance = 1 / (#coils / resistance of each coil)

(assuming each coil has the same resistance of very close)

IF each coil is 3.4 ohms each the total in parallel should be 1.7 ohms

Resistance = 1/(2/3.4)

Word of advice, dont pay attention to the numbers fasttech give you, they seem to just throw numbers at ya for the heck of it

Also, you are buying a rebuildable, why do you care about any coil that comes installed? I doubt anyone in the RBA sub-forums will advice you to stick with a pre-made coil from china

regarding ebho comment, what I like about the RSST is that you dont need to torch anything (I just wash my mesh properly), roll, put it in, wrap some wire. good to go.

again, I do prefer Phoenix or other RDAs that allows for a VERTICAL wick (I have both Phoenix & IGO-L, to me Phoenix >> IGO-L once mastered)

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Doctor Jones, you have nothing to fear. You can't get a much more simple and rewarding RBA experience than a simple dripper.

Check out this thread for a step by step photo tutorial on how to build a similar RBA. These principals will apply to any dripper.

Rebuild tutorial

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9421933

I was in your shoes about 4 months ago. It's alot easier than some make it appear. Good luck bro :)

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I planning on getting a vamo from fasttech and also wanted some rebuildable attys for dripping. I haven't had an RBA before but I want to spend as little money as possible so I am considering these two: $5.56 SM20 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer for Empire KeCig K100 - blue / 2.4 and $6.14 V5 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer - 1.0

How hard are these to work with for a beginner? should I expect to have to replace the atomizers and where do i get spare parts for these, other than wicks and wires?

I recently received my first order from FastTech,which included 3 of these RDAs. I have been VERY satisfied with them so far. The build quality of them is excellent, the finish on the outside is nice, and they vape well, for what they are.

They are clones of the SmokTech "Squid" which is a smaller version of the "Octopus". Personally, I think this is a FANTASTIC choice for a beginner. It is very easy to rebuild, has plenty of room inside to various wick and coil setups, it performs well, and is easy to clean.

I think when all these other folks suggesting Genesis-style RBA's, or setups that use stainless steel mesh, they have forgotten what the word "beginner" means, because those are definitely NOT "beginner" devices, especially if you are not mechanically and electrically inclined.

I say if you are interested in rebuilding, this is good atty to start with. It can use any wick and coil you want--from the simplest "nichrome wire and silica" to flat, twisted Kanthal on SS mesh. Knock yourself out!

And "dhomes"--I know you are a HUGE fan of the RSST--and it IS a fantastic Genesis RBA for experienced vapers on a budget, or who are just curious about getting into Genesis-style atomizers, but , dude, suggesting ANY Gennie to someone who is a "beginner" is like suggesting that a 16-year-old who just got their license should get a Bugatti Veyron for their first car...

Last edited:

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
I recently received my first order from FastTech,which included 3 of these RDAs. I have been VERY satisfied with them so far. The build quality of them is excellent, the finish on the outside is nice, and they vape well, for what they are.

They are clones of the SmokTech "Squid" which is a smaller version of the "Octopus". Personally, I think this is a FANTASTIC choice for a beginner. It is very easy to rebuild, has plenty of room inside to various wick and coil setups, it performs well, and is easy to clean.

I think when all these other folks suggesting Genesis-style RBA's, or setups that use stainless steel mesh, they have forgotten what the word "beginner" means, because those are definitely NOT "beginner" devices, especially if you are not mechanically and electrically inclined.

I say if you are interested in rebuilding, this is good atty to start with. It can use any wick and coil you want--from the simplest "nichrome wire and silica" to flat, twisted Kanthal on SS mesh. Knock yourself out!

And "dhomes"--I know you are a HUGE fan of the RSST--and it IS a fantastic Genesis RBA for experienced vapers on a budget, or who are just curious about getting into Genesis-style atomizers, but , dude, suggesting ANY Gennie to someone who is a "beginner" is like suggesting that a 16-year-old who just got their license should get a Bugatti Veyron for their first car...

Stereo, no I'm not a huge fan of the RSST, my fave & main topper is a Phoenix (I already mentioned this)

THEN an AGA-T

then an IGO-L

but I found that the RSST is the one that gives me the less trouble when setting up. I drop unoxidized mesh, wrap my coil, good to go, how is that complicated?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i have several and most of them fit the bill as regular ol RDA's you buy elsewhere for 3x the cost. wrap the wire around the wick kinda evenly i use a toothpick with the wick strand. attach to the screws, pull out the toothpick and drip not hard at all.

Imho if you are truly beginning and want to try an rba go for a Smok RSST

nothing to do with dripping.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
Trasher, true, i actually misread the question!

I thought he was asking for a good beginner RBA/RDA, my bad!

I don't have one of those, do they have a hole in the posts? that one of the things I truly dislike about the IGO-L

that said, am i the only one who thinks vertical coils taste better than horizontal ones? I mean, even the same device (phoenix) seems to work better when the coil is vertical vs horizontal

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
she can probably change an alternator too. I'm pretty much resolved to get the attys i mentioned, my concern was mostly whether I will need spare/replacement parts other than wicks and wires and where to get them.

I guess the title of your thread threw me off, a little. Its nice when the question posed in the title reflects the information sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread