Status
Not open for further replies.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Has anyone had a coil taste burnt/bad right out of the box, or new?

First time this has happened to me. Evod BCC. Around the 15th coil I've used since I started using the EVOD.

I thought it was rather weird, so I took a look inside, and I noticed the wire was wrapped around like 2 MORE times , and MUCH closer together then any of the other coils I've checked from the SAME package (2.2ohm I believe). I thought this unusual, as it came in a blister 5-pack. All the other coils looked the same. The coils on this one were sort of scrunched up, and the bottom part (the part you only take off to replace the coils, not to look at them) came off right away, on accident....never had that happen before either.

Anyway, I put it in the bottle with the rest of the spent coils, but I thought this rather weird. Anyone had a coil bad, right out from the start?

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
most of my KPT heads have been okay OotB, but i did get one that would E1 on my prover, i rebuilt it and it was fine. Quality Control is not one of Kangers specialties lol

I hear that, of my 3 blister packs of 2.2ohm head about 1/3 were 2.8-3 ohm. QC is a big problem on just about all heads you buy no matter what brand. These days I don't even use coils that I didn't make myself.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
I hear that, of my 3 blister packs of 2.2ohm head about 1/3 were 2.8-3 ohm. QC is a big problem on just about all heads you buy no matter what brand. These days I don't even use coils that I didn't make myself.

i concur. rebuilding is not only cheaper in the long run but saves you aggravation as well. if you want to get mad at yourself for making your own coil and it pops due to a short, at least its your own fault.

And lets not forget its quite satisfying to build the coil, wick it, fill it and vape it.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
I need to get into (re) building but I have no idea where to start

Well, if you are talking about rebuilding pro tank or evod coils, they are extremely easy. Just look up a vid on youtube, I haven't done my own yet, but as you can see, it is exceptionally easy, no technical skill or know how required.

As far as true rebuidables I don't know

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
Well, if you are talking about rebuilding pro tank or evod coils, they are extremely easy. Just look up a vid on youtube, I haven't done my own yet, but as you can see, it is exceptionally easy, no technical skill or know how required.

As far as true rebuidables I don't know

For me rebuilding an evod coil is about as easy as it gets. I would much rather do an evod coil than rebuild my phoenix style rebuildable. The grommet on the bottom is much easier to deal with than post with screws. Rebuilding an evod coil might even be faster than punching and replacing a carto for a tank, once you get the hang of it.

I am also addicted to the extra flavor you get from replacing silica with cotton in my evods. Also just replacing the cotton lets you keep the coil for alot longer than normal.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
For me rebuilding an evod coil is about as easy as it gets. I would much rather do an evod coil than rebuild my phoenix style rebuildable. The grommet on the bottom is much easier to deal with than post with screws. Rebuilding an evod coil might even be faster than punching and replacing a carto for a tank, once you get the hang of it.

I am also addicted to the extra flavor you get from replacing silica with cotton in my evods. Also just replacing the cotton lets you keep the coil for alot longer than normal.

Thanks for the input! In fact, I think today I'm gonna go ahead and buy the materials I need to re-coil.

What coil should I get? I'll go ahead and get cotton AND silica so I have comparison, where should I get them?

Thanks for the info. I've saved every single coil to date, so I have a ton of spent coils for both my evods and pro tank.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Ive been through about 20 heads. 1 of the protank heads that came with my protank registered 2.9ohm and should have been 2.5ohm. I kept trying to use it for a few days but it just didnt vape well, when i swapped it out i was blown away.

One of my evod heads also registered atomizer short =(

Other than that they have been fine. Im glad they only cost under a buck each, so a dud here and there isnt going to bother me

Btw both of my bad heads came from Kangertechs china site lol. All of the evod heads ive purchased since that original order have been fine. Maybe QC or manu cleaned up a bit im not sure

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
Thanks for the input! In fact, I think today I'm gonna go ahead and buy the materials I need to re-coil.

What coil should I get? I'll go ahead and get cotton AND silica so I have comparison, where should I get them?

Thanks for the info. I've saved every single coil to date, so I have a ton of spent coils for both my evods and pro tank.

I use kanthal 28 and 30g wire. I get my cotton from qtips as we have over 2000 of them and they are sterile.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI

I use 32 gauge kanthal that I got on ebay. I do 6 wraps to get a 2.2 ohm coil, I am thinking about getting some 30ga to bring down the ohms a little to test. For cotton I use cotton balls, I got a bag of 200 at the dollar store that will last me for years. I did try using qtips for cotton but got paranoid that I was vaping the glue used to attach it to the stem. I have never bought sillica since cotton worked so well for me.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
I use 32 gauge kanthal that I got on ebay. I do 6 wraps to get a 2.2 ohm coil, I am thinking about getting some 30ga to bring down the ohms a little to test. For cotton I use cotton balls, I got a bag of 200 at the dollar store that will last me for years. I did try using qtips for cotton but got paranoid that I was vaping the glue used to attach it to the stem. I have never bought sillica since cotton worked so well for me.

Heard from many here as well as my mom (nurse) the way that the cotton is held to the qtip is with water basically. Its not glue as they must be sterile as they are approved for use for oral applications. Now i get mine from my mom as they are hospital grade but its the same for like Johnson and Johnson.

I hated silica, just a crappy taste. I found that i replace my cotton wick more often then silica but its only because its cheap and i can do it so fast and simple.

I use mainly 30g but i dabble with 32g at times. im going to start using 28g to get the ohms around 1.5-1.8 and keep using the micro coil method as its the best coil i have ever used.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Just finished a repair on a bad evod head. Wrapped 28g kanthal 4/3 on a 2mm. electronic screwdriver.
Resistance at 0.8-0.9. Slid in 3mm of cotton yarn and though I can't use it on the provari, it's working great
on a "kicked" mod at 6v.edit...haha i mean 6W. But man the base gets hot.

Just got the 28 kanthal today and it's my first coil with it. It's much easier working with the 28 than the 32.imho

Got the silicone cap upside down but she's leaking some so I'll be changing it back.

Any advice?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread