Positive coil is always a hot spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
The coil that is connected to the positive post is ALWAYS a hot spot, and none of the other coils ever glow. From what I understand is that the center coils are supposed to glow first. Any body know what the deal is? I'm using 32 gauge kanthal on 400 ss mesh if that helps.
IMAG0097.jpg

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
top hot spot was always my nemesis... always.
tips:
1. pulsing short bursts, over and over... after a good doz. bursts, gradually increase time...
2. take a screw driver head (flat) and push or indent the top wire towards the inside of wick, giving more coverage to wick
3. try the cheesecloth thread trick... it ALWAYS works for me... (natural unbleached cheesecloth; 1 strand about 10" long... wrap it around the coil where the wire (coil) will go and wrap your wire over it... use a drop of juice to "glue" the thread to the wick... porous ceramic works best but ss mesh is fine.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
top hot spot was always my nemesis... always.
tips:
1. pulsing short bursts, over and over... after a good doz. bursts, gradually increase time...
2. take a screw driver head (flat) and push or indent the top wire towards the inside of wick, giving more coverage to wick
3. try the cheesecloth thread trick... it ALWAYS works for me... (natural unbleached cheesecloth; 1 strand about 10" long... wrap it around the coil where the wire (coil) will go and wrap your wire over it... use a drop of juice to "glue" the thread to the wick... porous ceramic works best but ss mesh is fine.

so just take the cheese cloth and wrap around the wick, add a drop of juice and then wrap the coil around the cloth? hmmmm. I will try this too.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
I used two brass washers to basically extend the center post closer to the wick(helps with the hot leg) it does sound like you may have the top coil too tight.

The center post sucks on the aga t2, the nuts never tighten fully and i kinda have to wrap it tight to get it to stay on the post. The nuts area all stripped except for the top one.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
I had the same problem for the longest time and it was very frustrating. The key is getting both legs the same length. If one is longer than the other you're going to have a hotspot. Make sure both legs are the same length. This may not solve all your problems but it will eliminate one for sure.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
definatly tension is the issue with this top wrap, to tight youll get a hot leg, to loose and the same. I like to take the top wrap to the other side of the pp and then attach. this will give you more coverage to the wick. also it helps when you relieve the tension or ultimately loosen up that top wrap, sometime when you loosen up that top wrap, because its to tight, it now is to loose(because you use thin wire) by attaching the wire to the other side of the positive post it can actually hold better tension to the wick.you said the top nut is the only nut that holds? this is not good, I have always found to get the right tension on the top wrap you need to slightly tighten down the top nut and slightly tighten up the second nut. also a small washer will help, this will lessen the spand on the aga's distance.

schotzky

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Kansas
Ok I did everything in that video and I still have that positive wire hot spot issue. At first all the coils will be glowing beautifully, then I drip a little juice on there and fire it again, boom its hot again. That AND my provari will keep shooting E1 messages at me, which means a short. Ok, now, I don't have any shorts that I can see. The wick inside the tank isn't touching the bottom or the center post, the wick outside isn't touching the positive post, none of the coils are touching, the ground is securely fastened, and I have made sure to trim all wires. The coils aren't wrapped too tight either. ...!

This thing has been doing this to me since day one, I've had it for a couple of months now. I'll give it a shot every couple of days and I'll spend a couple of hours doing it and every time I get that damned hot spot. Maybe I just have a bad AGA T2, idk. I have a different dripping atty coming in the mail, I think I'll like that one better anyways.

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
Ok I did everything in that video and I still have that positive wire hot spot issue. At first all the coils will be glowing beautifully, then I drip a little juice on there and fire it again, boom its hot again. That AND my provari will keep shooting E1 messages at me, which means a short. Ok, now, I don't have any shorts that I can see. The wick inside the tank isn't touching the bottom or the center post, the wick outside isn't touching the positive post, none of the coils are touching, the ground is securely fastened, and I have made sure to trim all wires. The coils aren't wrapped too tight either. ...!

This thing has been doing this to me since day one, I've had it for a couple of months now. I'll give it a shot every couple of days and I'll spend a couple of hours doing it and every time I get that damned hot spot. Maybe I just have a bad AGA T2, idk. I have a different dripping atty coming in the mail, I think I'll like that one better anyways.

I think that maybe you should try pulsing it a little more, start at a lower voltage and then work your way up, this will help with oxidizing the SS where the coil is at better and then when you add juice and you get a red hot top coil try tightening the coil to the wire by moving it into the coil a little more while it is still red, and if the doesnt work then get it good and red and try pushing the wire between the post and the coil in to a J toward the coil, it may be a backwards J depending on which way you wrapped it.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle

Don't forget that the coil will shrink a bit the first time you fire it. If you can't twist the wick inside the coil after firing it then you wrapped it too tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread