vaping and respiratory problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

aasupplyny

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
USA
Have any long term smokers noticed less respiratory problems since they've started vaping? ie: bronchitis, shortness of breath, asthma, etc..
I usually get bronchitis every 4-5 months when smoking analogs.

I haven't been vaping long enough to notice anything. I'm also aware that there isn't an scientific data for back up. I'm just curious about peoples long term experiences with vaping and respiratory problems.

Sorry but the threads in this section are sooooo long and I'm sure the infos somewhere. But I'm just lazy:D.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'll answer as best I can but you must learn to search by tag words!

When I quit smoking cigarettes on July 17, 2007, I did so because I had a cough about every three minutes. I woke up coughing, too. I coughed after I laughed. Coughed after taking a long drink. Cigarette smokers know the hack well.

A few months earlier, I'd had carotid artery surgery to remove a 95% blockage in one artery. The surgeon said I was a week away from "a major event." He meant a stroke, like the ones that killed by mother by chopping away small pieces of her personality with each event. I quit smoking for a month after the surgery. But cigarettes are strong lure.

I finally quit a second time with snus and Stonewall dissolvable tablets. Then I started puffing my pipe morning and evening. I discovered e-cigs that August but waited until December to order. I received an e-pipe on Jan. 3, 2008. It was one wimpy device but I enjoyed the 24mg vapor.

That was followed by e-cigars and e-cigs of all types, until today I've settled on a Janty Kissbox and Dura.

Health? No more coughing. Passed a treadmill stress test with a severe slope angle at fast speed. Scored the maximum score on a lung exhalation force test. Clear x-rays. Clear ultrasound of neck arteries. Perfect cholesterol now. HDL and LDL. That all is a result of quitting cigarettes, not a tribute to e-smoking.

We don't know what the long-term effects of e-smoking will be, but I think there is little to risk and much to gain. So I e-puff much of the day, enjoying my clear lungs and happy doctors.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Bob, thanks for the summary of your journey to ecigs. It just reinforced my decision to switch to ecigs. I just need to decide on which one. I was just about ready to buy the M401 because of all the positive reviews on this site but Sun and Kate advised me to stick with the penstyle. I just want something that is close to real cigs to help me make the transition and is reliable. I keep seeing that the battery life on the M401 is better than most ecigs but I think you have to go with a penstyle to use the usb passthrough. Have you tried different types and do you have a preference?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I've tried a bunch, to be sure, but not a 901 or 401 model. I've tried and rejected all super mini types. Both batteries and cartridges are a pain. I went to a penstyle at about four months into my e-cig experience, and was very happy with it. I got it from a forum supplier named Meltrex. I replaced probably four atomizers in the following months before Meltrex lost his father and shut down his business. When the final atomizer died, I moved on (although other suppliers sell those and I could fire it up at any time by buying a new atomizer).

Pipes are unwieldy. Cigars are too big and uncomfortable to use. Cigarillos are comfortable to use but not to carry. Forget super minis. So we're left with what I have -- a penstyle Janty named the Kissbox and 901-sized e-cig called the Dura.

I'm reluctant to encourage just one brand, and do so only because they're my favorites. Do look at others' comments and Leaford's reviews. And take note that e-cigs are still evolving. There's no perfect e-cig.

A big question mark for e-smoking is how disposables like the Ruyan Jazz are going to be accepted. Few people will relish the unreliability of present devices and the near-constant futzing we have to do with them. A disposable eliminates virtually every problem with today's refillable-rechargeable e-cig. So keep track of the news. And search reviews.

ADD: I use the Kissbox with the USB cord while working at my laptop -- and that's most of the day. I use the Dura when going outside the house.

Last edited:

aasupplyny

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
USA
I'll answer as best I can but you must learn to search by tag words!

When I quit smoking cigarettes on July 17, 2007, I did so because I had a cough about every three minutes. I woke up coughing, too. I coughed after I laughed. Coughed after taking a long drink. Cigarette smokers know the hack well.

A few months earlier, I'd had carotid artery surgery to remove a 95% blockage in one artery. The surgeon said I was a week away from "a major event." He meant a stroke, like the ones that killed by mother by chopping away small pieces of her personality with each event. I quit smoking for a month after the surgery. But cigarettes are strong lure.

I finally quit a second time with snus and Stonewall dissolvable tablets. Then I started puffing my pipe morning and evening. I discovered e-cigs that August but waited until December to order. I received an e-pipe on Jan. 3, 2008. It was one wimpy device but I enjoyed the 24mg vapor.

That was followed by e-cigars and e-cigs of all types, until today I've settled on a Janty Kissbox and Dura.

Health? No more coughing. Passed a treadmill stress test with a severe slope angle at fast speed. Scored the maximum score on a lung exhalation force test. Clear x-rays. Clear ultrasound of neck arteries. Perfect cholesterol now. HDL and LDL. That all is a result of quitting cigarettes, not a tribute to e-smoking.

We don't know what the long-term effects of e-smoking will be, but I think there is little to risk and much to gain. So I e-puff much of the day, enjoying my clear lungs and happy doctors.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear you're feeling well. Hopefully we can all recover from the damage caused by cigarettes. I miss being able to climb stairs.

I try to avoid that lung exhalation test. My pcp gave me that test 2 years ago and the results were horrible. I was 25 at the time and the machine told said my "lung age/capacity" was that of someone 56. I even asked to do it again. Same results. Not sure If you're referring to the test where you suck and blow into a tube attached to a machine.

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com
used to smoke way too many kools, use advair, and albuterol. Now, no advair, very little albuterol, and no ciggies. loosing weight, feeling great, smelling fine, drinking wine........:rolleyes:

Mucho betta journey, hope ya have the same results:cool:

Have any long term smokers noticed less respiratory problems since they've started vaping? ie: bronchitis, shortness of breath, asthma, etc..
I usually get bronchitis every 4-5 months when smoking analogs.

I haven't been vaping long enough to notice anything. I'm also aware that there isn't an scientific data for back up. I'm just curious about peoples long term experiences with vaping and respiratory problems.

Sorry but the threads in this section are sooooo long and I'm sure the infos somewhere. But I'm just lazy:D.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I've found that different devices suit different moods. I use an Intellicig Evo when I'm out and about - the battery life is great and they're very reliable. At home I use USB passthroughs for the 901, original Intellicig (DSE 103 fitting) and penstyle. Of these I use the 901 the least - I get better vapour from the other two. When not at my PC I use a Battech USB battery to plug into which lasts for several days on one charge and is very cheap to buy. I also find that vaping styles vary on whether I'm happy, excitable, sleepy etc. If I'm too keyed up and am puffing like a train then I can hit the cutout on my Evos quite easily - so it pays to be relaxed with them! Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread