Noob guide to Direct Dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I wrote this because I found myself explaining it a few times... If you run into a term you don't understand, look to see if it has a faint dotted underline. If it does, then hover your cursor over the word and an explanation will pop up.

OK, so you've got your new e-cig and everything is great, except... refilling all of those cartridges is such a pain! You vape so often, the regular Fluval filling can't keep up with you. Besides, every time you look at that cotton-y looking stuff, it feels like a hair is in the back of your throat (ack, thhp!) You've tried the cartridge mods, but nothing seems to work for you. You don't like fiddling around with stuff like that, anyway. It's like having a part-time job, except that it doesn't pay anything!

Here's ONE answer to your problem: Direct Dripping. Notice I wrote "dripping", and not "dipping" (a seperate but related topic). Direct Dripping, or just "dripping", is when you drip juice directly onto the bridge of your atomizer, instead of relying on the cartridge filler to do that for you.

SEALED BATTERY:

First, make sure your PV has a "sealed battery". That means there is no hole in the end that the atomizer screws onto.
4311536759_3ec47fd31e_o.jpg

[ Image blatantly stolen from DDBV while he so graciously wasn't looking ]

Liquid can leak into an unsealed battery through that hole, and ruin the battery. Note that we're talking about the battery here, not the atomizer.

No hole? Great! Let's continue:

Take one of your cartridges and remove the filler. That's the stuff that looks like cotton. Throw that mess in the trash. You won't be needing it anymore.

Now, open a bottle of your favorite juice, and drip a couple of drops onto the bridge of the atomizer. That's the thing inside that looks like an arch covered in very fine steel mesh (It's actually nickle foam). If it's dry, you will need to prime it with 3 or 4 drops. Afterwards, it will take 2 or 3 drops, depending on the atty. Start with 2, and adjust from there.

Replace your empty cartridge, and vape (if you have an 801 style cartridge, pop the white reservoir off, you don't need it). You'll get several good vapes before you have to drip again. That's all there is to the basic process of dripping!

Now, let's get into the details:

FLOODING:

If you hear a pronounced gurgling sound while vaping, and you're not getting much vapor, then the atty is flooded. There is a small heating element in the bottom of the atty, underneath the bridge. If it's drowning in liquid, it can't get hot enough to make vapor. Remove the atty, and blow the excess liquid into a paper towel. You should blow into the large hole, and the liquid will come out of the small hole on the threaded end. Keep blowing until very little liquid comes out. Wipe it clean, and don't forget the threads. Replace the atty, and try again. You may actually need another drop of liquid at this point, but try it first.

BURNT TASTE:

If it starts to taste burnt, the atty is too dry. It needs more juice, so give it another drop or two. You can avoid this foul burnt taste most of the time by paying attention, and learning how your atty behaves. Try to remember what it vaped like just before it started to taste burnt. Likely, there was a lot of vapor, but very little taste or "throat hit". Next time it vapes that way, give it one or two drops before it runs dry.

CARTRIDGE MOD for DRIPPING:

This is unnecessary, but will save you a lot of aggravation from removing/replacing the mouthpiece each time you want to drip. A lot of people just "tailpipe", or suck directly on the atomizer. The 801 style is more suitable for tailpiping, because it is longer and doesn't get as hot where your lips touch. This mod doesn't work on "whistle tip" style cartridges. Because the tip is so narrow, it's hard to drip through.

1) Remove filler.

2) Shave a mm or so off the atomizer end, so no worries about melting.

3) Remove the inserts from the mouth end. These are the two small plastic disks with holes in them, and they are in the end you place in your mouth. You can lever them out with tweezers, a bent wire, or you can screw a sheet metal screw into the hole and pop them out.

4) Cut or drill out the bottom of the reservoir (you can hold the cartridge with pliers to keep from cutting yourself). The reservoir is the part that held the juice and the filler. Make sure to get all the little plastic pieces, or shavings cleaned out. What you wind up with is a (mostly) empty tube without anything to obstruct the juice drops from falling directly onto the bridge. If you look through it from one end, it will look something like this, depending on the style of cart:

4312202222_986454d981_m.jpg

It needs to be cleaned every now and then, but that's the only time it needs to be removed.

CARTOMIZERS:

You can drip with a carto as easily as you can drip with an atomizer! Perhaps more so, since you can go longer between drips, and just "top off" with 4 or 5 drops every now and then. You can leave the end-caps off, and be sure to drip at an angle so the liquid doesn't drop into the hole in the center of the cartomizer.

The thin metal that cartomizers are made of heats up very quickly, and can get uncomfortably warm on your lips. You can cut a large hole in the bottom of one of the rubber end-caps (or "condoms") that the cartos come packaged in, and put it on the end to protect your lips from the heat. If you find that liquid gets in your mouth, or the vapor is too warm, you can take the rubber grip off of an ink pen and use that as a mouthpiece. The extra distance should solve (the majority of) both problems.

Later, if you decide you like a 3-piece PV better, don't throw those used cartos away! They are a great back-up system for the day you burn out the very last atomizer in the house.

ATOMIZER MOD
If you have problems with carts that don't fit your 901 very snugly (they are probably 510 carts), just get something like these Kobalt 8" long-nosed pliers from Lowe's:

4309283534_64c85f2248_o.jpg

Put the very end, just a mm or so, of the cart end of your 901 atomizer into that circular void by the cutting blades. Squeeze very gently until you see the tiniest bit of flex in the metal. You're not trying to make a visible change to the atomizer, here, just flex the metal a bit.

Now give the atty a 1/4 turn or so, and do it again.

Test.

After doing this, my carts fit almost too tightly, but that's perfect for dripping. There should be no visible sign that you have done anything to the atty.

T-Tip
Alternately, you can buy one of these machined brass T-Tips, designed to for dripping, from Super T Manufacturing.

4311676475_8e1b3c1a5f_o.jpg

There are also various other devices, like the grip portion of certain ink pens, that can be put over an atty and function as a mouthpiece.

Also, I have one of [these] on order from JC. I think they will make dripping even handier, since you won't have to mess around with screwing and unscrewing a bottle cap. Just whip this puppy out of your pocket, squeeze a drop into your atty, and vape! That's my theory, anyway. I'll edit this post after they are delivered if they don't work.

10_115_large.jpg

EDIT: Wow, they've selected my post to be in the new ECF Library! I guess all future edits will be to that post, instead of this one. I linked to your post from within that post, anim8or.

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Hey quasimod.....undoubtedly I will have a plethora of questions, but for now I just wanted to thank you for this post. It is really a kindness when guys/girls like you take so much time to make these noob posts. I guess I am a "quasinoob" and started out with a KR808D-1 and cartos. Silly me...I thought it would be easier and cheaper!:lol: So I finally broke down and bought an adapter and a set of 801's and 901's. I love to cook so I should have known that the whole DIY juice thing was going to be irresitable. And dripping seemed to make alot more sense than wasting a bunch of $9 a box cartomizers~! And what do you know.....here is this wonderful post explaining exactly how to do it. So thank you ! My husband probably won't thank you when he gets home from work and finds that I have spent the whole day playing with e-juice instead of cleaning the house and cooking dinner....but I figure a tall rum and coke and a fresh bottle of homemade Brandied Chocolate Cherry ejuice should calm him down :D

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I just wanted to thank you for this post...

You're welcome! :)

started out with a KR808D-1 and cartos. Silly me...I thought it would be easier and cheaper!

That's actually not such a bad choice. The cartos are almost noob-proof, with an easier learning curve than the 3-piece PV's. That's very helpful when you first start vaping, because there is so much to learn . Also, you can drip with a carto as easily as an atomizer! Perhaps more so, since you can go longer between drips, and just "top off" with 4 or 5 drops every now and then. You can leave the end-caps off, and be sure to drip at an angle so the liquid doesn't drop into the hole in the center of the cartomizer.

The thin metal that cartomizers are made of heats up very quickly, and can get uncomfortably warm on your lips. You can cut a large hole in the bottom of one of the rubber end-caps (or "condoms") that the cartos come packaged in, and put it on the end to protect your lips from the heat. If you find that liquid gets in your mouth, or the vapor is too warm, you can take the rubber grip off of an ink pen and use that as a mouthpiece. The extra distance should solve (the majority of) both problems.

Also, don't throw those used cartos away! They are a great back-up system for the day you burn out the very last atomizer in the house.

I'll edit my post to include this info.

My husband probably won't thank you when he gets home from work and finds that I have spent the whole day playing with e-juice instead of cleaning the house and cooking dinner....but I figure a tall rum and coke and a fresh bottle of homemade Brandied Chocolate Cherry ejuice should calm him down :D

Yep. That would work for me. :thumb:

just-cass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2009
ireland
pinkvaper.com
Hi Quasimod....if u have a sec id love for someone with the knowledge like you to add to the sticky forum the donts of direct dripping???looking to help noobs out with mistakes we've made and learned from(not that im a veteran or anything!just trying to do something useful/helpful)

is it ok if i link this page on it if you dont have time?

thanks for listening : o)

cass

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
Just a heads up for people that don't have manual batteries. I drip on my Revolver Elites and 401's all the time. They have auto batts and I haven't had one issue with them. Loading the carts is a waste of time since they only hold about 8 drops anyway. One or two drops is all you need.

But it is true, you can damage the batteries if you flood liquid into them.

I have flooded the atty more than once tho, but nothing to panic about, just wipe off any excess between the atomizer screw and battery threads, re-attach the atty and vape away.

The Elite's atomizers are just like 401's in that the bridge is exposed. Makes dripping crazy easy on these types of atomizers.

Been doing this for months and still have the original batteries.

It's so easy to put a drop or two on them, I'm able to do it while driving :thumb:

But I have to say, dripping is SOOO much better than using filled carts, I even swapped to dripping on my 510's.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Hi Quasimod....if u have a sec id love for someone with the knowledge like you to add to the sticky forum the donts of direct dripping???

Hi cass! Absolutely. I've been trying to think how I could boil down my (limited) knowledge into some bullet points since I got your invite. That's a tough writing style for me, since I usually just babble on-and-on until my fingers get tired.

looking to help noobs out with mistakes we've made and learned from(not that im a veteran or anything!just trying to do something useful/helpful)

Great idea! At first, I thought your brand-new Sticky Forum might be a bit redundant, because of the brand-new ECF Library. Now that I see what you're doing over there, I understand how wrong I was. You're approaching the subject from a different direction, and I think each forum will enhance the other. The trick will be to get plenty of links in the Sticky Forum that point to the expanded articles in the ECF Library.

is it ok if i link this page on it if you dont have time?

Absolutely! No need to ask, just link away! :)

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
okay...here come the questions :)
I have an auto PT from V4L. KR808D-1. They say it's made to plug directly into your PC. Is this correct? Because when I start looking at other posts I hear that you have to have a powered USB hub or adapter that puts out at least 1000 ma. But isn't the entire nature of a 2.0 USB port on a PC that it only puts out 500 ma ?

just-cass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2009
ireland
pinkvaper.com
hi again

dont worry bout boiling it down....u gotta say what you gotta say!!if u were referring to my asking for one or two concise points i just meant topics really and your area of expertise is a VERY important one...it will prove invaluable to the sticky forum should you choose to impart your knowledge to us:D

if you wanted to perhaps you could write a few bullet points on the definite donts and then a link to this thread for more info?

alot of time and energy went into it im sure n i would want to do your hard work justice!

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Just a heads up for people that don't have manual batteries. I drip on my Revolver Elites and 401's all the time. They have auto batts and I haven't had one issue with them. Loading the carts is a waste of time since they only hold about 8 drops anyway. One or two drops is all you need.

But it is true, you can damage the batteries if you flood liquid into them.

Yeah, Even though dripping on auto batts is "not recommended", I've read elsewhere that dripping on auto batts was do-able, and also that care must be taken. I wrote that guide with the absolute noob in mind, so I wanted the info to be as bullet-proof as possible. Also, I don't have any personal experience dripping with an auto.

The Elite's atomizers are just like 401's in that the bridge is exposed. Makes dripping crazy easy on these types of atomizers...

Do you gut the carts and drip through them, or remove them each time?

Been doing this for months and still have the original batteries...

I've read that elswhere, as well. If you don't mind posting a detailed explanation of how you do it, I'd like to quote and/or link to it from within that guide (since you have actual experience doing it). I've always hated having to read an entire 50-post thread to insure I get all the info. I like it a lot better when people update their original post.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
This is a bit off-topic for this thread, but I'll make a stab at it. However, if you want to attract answers from people that are more knowledgeable about V4L PT's, you might want to start a new thread where they can see it. :)

I have an auto PT from V4L. KR808D-1. They say it's made to plug directly into your PC. Is this correct?

Yes. I used a manual PT from V4L plugged into my laptop. Works fine, but I have read references to reports from people who say that it is possible (yet statistically unlikely) to fry your motherboard.

Because when I start looking at other posts I hear that you have to have a powered USB hub or adapter that puts out at least 1000 ma.

Some people have tried to use wall adapters that are designed to charge batteries, and they don't put out enough Amps to power a PT. Also, there are differences in PT's. Some have in-line batteries that supply the Amps, and that battery is constantly being recharged. Others have no in-line battery, and rely on a power source that puts out enough Amps to operate the atty (such as a powered USB hub or adapter). I've read somewhere it takes a minimum of 1 Amp (1000 mA) to operate an atomizer, and that 2 is better. That's really about the extent of my "knowledge" of PT's. I don't normally use them. :)

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Thank you! I didn't mean to bring specific product lines into the thread,btw. I just thought that it might make a difference in your answer because what little I do know is that every brand is different! But I do get the point.....and I will do that. I'm looking at a really nice PT from Vaprlife so I just wrote directly to the company. One thing is for sure....by the time anyone has made an informed decision about their e-cig gear they will have gotten one hell of an education! Thank goodness for the Internet!!!

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
I've read that elswhere, as well. If you don't mind posting a detailed explanation of how you do it, I'd like to quote and/or link to it from within that guide (since you have actual experience doing it). I've always hated having to read an entire 50-post thread to insure I get all the info. I like it a lot better when people update their original post.

Here you go. I think I addressed all of your questions. Let me know if I missed something.

Here's a picture of my Elite next to a 3ml bottle of JC liquid
eliteandliquid.jpg

Pull off the empty black cart and you see this thing :):
eliteatty.jpg

As you can see, the bridge is fully exposed (so there's no mystery as to where the liquid is going--unlike a 510 for example). It's the same bridge type that's on the that's on a 722 or 401 (tho the 401 is not interchangeable with the Elite or 722)

It's getting some buildup around the base (this is the day before cleaning ;))

I usually pop the empty cart off, tilt the e-cig slighty (like below) and put a drop on the large flat portion of one side of the bridge and then, tilt it the other way, to put a drop on the other side of the bridge.
elitetilted2.jpg

Let it soak a couple seconds and the bridge wicks the liquid away (if it pools, then you put too much on and may need to dab any excess away). Different liquids flow better than others, but two drops rarely floods the atomizer. Some liquids like the DIYflavorshack variety are thicker and make some pretty large drops, so usually one drop is sufficient.

Put the empty cart back on and vape away.

I normally get about 6-10 good hits and that's enough to satisfy the craving. But if the liquid is tasty, repeat as often as necessary :D

I've hollowed out the ends of some of the carts, but it really is a simple matter of pulling off and slipping on a 401 cart, there's no lining up to be done like there is with other carts. Just slip it back on any which way you like.

Last edited:

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
Excellent thread guys!! I've been a dripper only for over 6 months now and I don't think I'd ever go back to carts. Don't miss the messing around and taking so much stuff with me. I just grab my pv of choice, a bottle of juice and go. It's so simple.
I love my Evo/401s, they are a perfect pocket pv. But I find them very hard to drip in. They just seem to go dry so fast, only 1-2 drops at a time. I like the 901s and 510 for dripping - 2-4 drops and I just have to get the drops in the tube - no aiming. :)

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
As you can see, the bridge is fully exposed

A lot of people "dip", as opposed to "drip", with this type of atty. Instead of dripping liquid onto the atty, they dip the bridge of the atty into the liquid (held in something like a contact lens case). Have you ever tried that? If so, how does it compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread