Ethyl Maltol crystals question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Pappas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2013
Rochester, Minnesota, United States
I just ordered an ounce of the Ethyl Maltol crystals and was hoping to get some tips on how much to add to liquids.

TFA says "These can be dissolved in alcohol or Propylene Glycol @ 10%. (use a little heat)". But I find myself stymied on how to figure out how much of a dry crystal to add to a liquid to equal 10%. Liquid to liquid I understand. A cc in my syringe into a 10 ml bottle and I have 10%. But I haven't seen anything on this particular issue for all my hunting.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
This question always pops up and always leads to a debate. According to Wizard Labs, 1/8tsp dissolved in 10ml of PG will result in a 10% EM solution. Some people have reported having problems getting the crystals to stay in suspension, but, knock on wood, it's worked for me every time I mix it. I do have to heat it, carefully, in the microwave and agitate it several times to get it all to dissolve, but it works for me.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.

michaelsil1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
that's funny, sort of like the blind leading the blind?

Blindleadingtheblind.JPG

Reactions: smacuser

RobertNC

ECF Veteran
Dec 25, 2012
Athens
I strongly agree with the poster who said get a scale. A small set can be had on ebay for a song, and I would not use anything else. I suggest you make 5% solutions. The MSDS/Tech Data on EM states 7.7% solubility in PG. I use 50-50 PG/VG, the solubility in that is much lower. I make ~5% solutions and yes it takes a while to dissolve but they are clear and stabel over a long time and temperature range.

It is worth the minor effort to use weights instead of teaspoons. I don't make a true 5% solution because I weigh 0.5 gm EM and then just add 10 mL 50-50 PG/VG, but in DIY, reproducibility and consistency are what counts not whether you have a analytical chemists' definition of a true 5% solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread