Shortness of breath and trouble breathing after vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
I purchased my e-Go C twist 4-5 days ago and within the 3rd or 4th day I noticed that I started having trouble catching my breathe/not getting enough oxygen. I smoke Marlboro Reds - about 4-5 a day normally, but I've only smoked 1 since I purchased my vape. I surfed for forums for a bit and some members have recommended higher PG and others have recommended higher VG. I'm not sure which direction to take. The eliquid I'm vaping right now is an 18mg product called Cell Block Four by "The Standard" - a creamy citrus flavour. I have about 4-5 sessions where I draw 5 times each. I read on a website where a tester guessed the ratio to be 50/50 or 30/70, but there is no known ratio for it.

I've never had trouble catching my breathe before when smoking cigarettes. The first day of vaping seemed just fine. I was chain-vaping and didn't notice it any breathing problems. I also read somewhere on the forums that the tissue in my lungs were coming back to life I thought my breathing may possibly be a reaction to the vapor after a few days of not smoking cigarettes.

Some background: I also have a history of Asthma when I was younger.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight into this? Thanks.

Last edited:

Vsta

Jun 23, 2013
ny
It could be several things. You could be allergic to one of the flavors used, or you could be allergic to the PG or the VG. Try a different juice, and get both a pure PG and a pure VG juice. I'd go with a simple flavor, or even unflavored if you can find it. Process or elimination...

This. It could be poor quality juice, an allergic reaction to the PG/VG, or something to do with the atomizer/cartomizer. I'd suggest the same thing as Fizzpop.

GameDesigner

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2013
Austin, TX
I purchased my e-Go C twist 4-5 days ago and within the 3rd or 4th day I noticed that I started having trouble catching my breathe/not getting enough oxygen. I smoke Marlboro Reds - about 4-5 a day normally, but I've only smoked 1 since I purchased my vape. I surfed for forums for a bit and some members have recommended higher PG and others have recommended higher VG. I'm not sure which direction to take. The eliquid I'm vaping right now is an 18ml product called Cell Block Four by "The Standard" - a creamy citrus flavour. I have about 4-5 sessions where I draw 5 times each. I read on a website where a tester guessed the ratio to be 50/50 or 30/70, but there is no known ratio for it.

I've never had trouble catching my breathe before when smoking cigarettes. The first day of vaping seemed just fine. I was chain-vaping and didn't notice it any breathing problems. I also read somewhere on the forums that the tissue in my lungs were coming back to life I thought my breathing may possibly be a reaction to the vapor after a few days of not smoking cigarettes.

Some background: I also have a history of Asthma when I was younger.

I'd see a doctor. My suspicion is that the PG/VG ratio has nothing to do with and the amount of nicotine you're consuming is raising your blood pressure. This is especially likely if you have high nic content, are vaping a ton, and adding a cig to the mix. Add caffeine and/or alcohol to the equation and your blood pressure will skyrocket.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest

It will be different for EVERYONE.

Only way to tell:
vape 100% PG with no flavorings for a few days
vape 100% Vg with no flavorings for a few days

Then see what happens, could be flavorings, VG or PG or evenjust that juice

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
mare: I don't know, I just smoke cigarettes, I'm trying to cut down/quit with the vape thing, but the breathing problems are coming up.

Vsta: Could it be that I'm adding some juice into the cartomizer for flavouring and it's clogging up the filter/airway?

Racehorse: Thanks for the suggestions, I'm a little reluctant to go try all that out because of the expenses. Hopefully the vape shop that I go to will give me some samples to try until I figure it all out

Milkhoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Austin
I'd see a doctor. My suspicion is that the PG/VG ratio has nothing to do with and the amount of nicotine you're consuming is raising your blood pressure. This is especially likely if you have high nic content, are vaping a ton, and adding a cig to the mix. Add caffeine and/or alcohol to the equation and your blood pressure will skyrocket.

I think that might be right, since 18mg for someone that has about 5 cigarettes a day could be way too much. I smoked a pack a day at least, and started out at 18mg. When chain vaping all day I'd get the eye twitches that tells me I've overdosed on nicotine for the day, so that might be well over what your body is used to.

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
Thanks all, I'll keep all this in mind. I did have a bit of alcohol last night, but I waited for the effects to subside and felt the shortness of breathe when I vaped that night. I think nicotine overdose/blood pressure gradually rising throughout the day (is that how blood pressure works?) might be a valid point here. I'll probably lower the nicotine MG from 18 to 12 and see how that goes. I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Greaser55

May 21, 2013
Missoula, MT, USA
I have been vaping for a week. This is some of my experience with a little shorness of breath after vaping.... I accidentally ordered 100% PG 18mg liquid, its pretty harsh, it makes me cough a little, and if I overdo it I feel some shortness of breath for 5 mins or so afterwards.
I smoked a pack of Marb NXTs every day up untill a week ago and the 18mg juice is about right for me. I did make myself nic sick the other day after an unusually strong craving for a cig. I vaped like there was no tomorrow for about 20 mins straight and went through about 0.8 of a ml. Needless to say, I didnt even want to think about a cig or a vape for about 2.5 hours. Shortness of breath and the feeling of not getting enough air was one of the signs of too much nic for me, along with dizzyness, jitteryness and slightly upset stomach and increased heartbeat. I know it was the nicotine for sure because about 2 hours after I vaped way too much I tried an analog just to make sure it wasnt the PG, and yep the cig made me feel even worse, so that ruled out the PG. I would try lowering your nic because if you only smoked 4-5 cigs a day I think 18 would ba waay too much to chain vape.

GameDesigner

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2013
Austin, TX
Yeah, if you're vaping all day you might actually be increasing your nicotine intake. Do a test and only vape today when you'd smoke. If you smoke outside, go to your smoke spot to vape and only spend as much time as it would take to burn through an analog. I'd try the test on a fresh day though as alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine all can produce the same results.

Also just noticed that you said you only smoked 4-5 a day. That's nothing so you really, really need to make sure you're only vaping that 18mg when you'd normally have the analog. You could easily be doing a pack a day levels and not be aware of it if you're vaping inside casually.

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I'd also Plus One the all VG/all PG options. I have a hard time with PG and get similar symptoms. If you were smoking maybe 5 a day, then probably 6 mg nic is about right with a 12 mg for those "I must light one up" moments. Btw, Heathers Heavenly Vapes has a Purity Line which is ALL VG (vegetable glycerin) - flavoring base as well. That's a bit different to some other 100% VG offerings from other sellers as the flavoring may well be PG based in the latter's case. Just an option for you. You can buy VG at Walmart or similar store - probably in the first aid or moisturizer section. Try that one and see if you get similar reactions

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
I'd also Plus One the all VG/all PG options. I have a hard time with PG and get similar symptoms. If you were smoking maybe 5 a day, then probably 6 mg nic is about right with a 12 mg for those "I must light one up" moments. Btw, Heathers Heavenly Vapes has a Purity Line which is ALL VG (vegetable glycerin) - flavoring base as well. That's a bit different to some other 100% VG offerings from other sellers as the flavoring may well be PG based in the latter's case. Just an option for you. You can buy VG at Walmart or similar store - probably in the first aid or moisturizer section. Try that one and see if you get similar reactions

I didn't know they sell vape liquids at Wal Mart? I think I might see how the 100% PG or VG works out though, I'm going to go to the vape shop and hang out there for a bit and test them out maybe sometime tomorrow. Are the 100% items more expensive than the mixed ones?

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
Yeah, if you're vaping all day you might actually be increasing your nicotine intake. Do a test and only vape today when you'd smoke. If you smoke outside, go to your smoke spot to vape and only spend as much time as it would take to burn through an analog. I'd try the test on a fresh day though as alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine all can produce the same results.

Also just noticed that you said you only smoked 4-5 a day. That's nothing so you really, really need to make sure you're only vaping that 18mg when you'd normally have the analog. You could easily be doing a pack a day levels and not be aware of it if you're vaping inside casually.

Yeah I did that yesterday. I smoked 4-5 analogs a day so when I inhale from the vape I take 4-5 hits about 4-5 times a day. Does that sound about right?

GameDesigner

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2013
Austin, TX
Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
No they don't - but the Vegetable Glycerin is sold there as it's used for many other things - as a moisturizer, for soap making, to soften icing for cakes and all sorts of other stuff. If it is the USP Grade 99.7% pure, you can try some of that in the same way you currently use your ejuices and see if you get the same can't breathe problems. If you do, then buy a very high PG juice and see if that has the same impact.

And Stay hydrated. Very important. :)

I didn't know they sell vape liquids at Wal Mart? I think I might see how the 100% PG or VG works out though, I'm going to go to the vape shop and hang out there for a bit and test them out maybe sometime tomorrow. Are the 100% items more expensive than the mixed ones?

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
No they don't - but the Vegetable Glycerin is sold there as it's used for many other things - as a moisturizer, for soap making, to soften icing for cakes and all sorts of other stuff. If it is the USP Grade 99.7% pure, you can try some of that in the same way you currently use your ejuices and see if you get the same can't breathe problems. If you do, then buy a very high PG juice and see if that has the same impact.

And Stay hydrated. Very important. :)

Thanks. Judging from what I've seen so far on the forums, PG allergies causes skin irritations; but I guess for you and I we get breathing problems?

Are you also saying that these VG liquids at Wal-Mart contains nicotine and used for vaping also?

cometinc

Jun 23, 2013
elk grove
I have been vaping for a week. This is some of my experience with a little shorness of breath after vaping.... I accidentally ordered 100% PG 18mg liquid, its pretty harsh, it makes me cough a little, and if I overdo it I feel some shortness of breath for 5 mins or so afterwards.
I smoked a pack of Marb NXTs every day up untill a week ago and the 18mg juice is about right for me. I did make myself nic sick the other day after an unusually strong craving for a cig. I vaped like there was no tomorrow for about 20 mins straight and went through about 0.8 of a ml. Needless to say, I didnt even want to think about a cig or a vape for about 2.5 hours. Shortness of breath and the feeling of not getting enough air was one of the signs of too much nic for me, along with dizzyness, jitteryness and slightly upset stomach and increased heartbeat. I know it was the nicotine for sure because about 2 hours after I vaped way too much I tried an analog just to make sure it wasnt the PG, and yep the cig made me feel even worse, so that ruled out the PG. I would try lowering your nic because if you only smoked 4-5 cigs a day I think 18 would ba waay too much to chain vape.

So I imagine after 5 minutes you feel a shortness of breathe withe the PG, after 20 minutes it must be overkill. Do you think it could be the PG as well, seeing how after 5 minutes you experience a shortness of breathe?

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Yes, I do get a lot of breathing problems (unable to catch my breath) and tight lungs feeling with PG. BUT! to confuse things further, others can get the same breathing problems with VG!

I suggest buying a $3.00 bottle of VG from the first aid aisle in the drugstore first. It has nothing else in it.

If you vape a carto or two of that (just VG, nothing else in it) and you get the same breathing problems you'll know it's the VG that's causing them. And it is the cheapest way to start the elimination process of what's causing your malady.

If you don't get breathing problems, then you'll know that it's probably PG that causing them. It's just a process of elimination. I suggest VG only first as it's the easiest, cheapest and most readily available quick way to find out if its a VG allergy or PG allergy first because it's sold in drugstores for other uses. No nicotine, no other flavorings.

Too high nicotine can cause fast heart rate, nausea and headaches. So while there is a correlation between high heart rate for example and too much nicotine, I am inclined to think that it's the VG OR PG that's likely to be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread