Allergic to VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I am allergic to coconut/palm oil which VG is made of. What's a good site to get a wide selection of PG for the 510? Figures I am allergic to the healthy stuff! LOL

I am confused by this statement. VG is not made of palm or coconut oils, but it might be made from these oils, as well as corn and other vegetable oils. The oils are hydrolyzed to produce VG and the other product is the fatty acids associated with those oils. There is no veg oil left in the final purified VG. It is just glycerin, as in >99% pure.

Are you having problems with VG and feel you are having similar allergic reactions to that of palm or coconut oil?

And what do you mean by "a wide selction of PG"? Do you mean a wide variety of ejuice flavors that use PG as opposed to VG? If this is the case, there are many vendors. MyFreedomSmokes has a lot of following here, and lots of flavored e-juices, as well as unflavored, in PG. But really there is no shortage of PG juices available...most of the vendors listed at the bottom of the ECF homepage carry PG juices...its more common than VG juices.

mrtuna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
I am confused by this statement. VG is not made of palm or coconut oils, but it might be made from these oils, as well as corn and other vegetable oils. The oils are hydrolyzed to produce VG and the other product is the fatty acids associated with those oils. There is no veg oil left in the final purified VG. It is just glycerin, as in >99% pure.

Are you having problems with VG and feel you are having similar allergic reactions to that of palm or coconut oil?

And what do you mean by "a wide selction of PG"? Do you mean a wide variety of ejuice flavors that use PG as opposed to VG? If this is the case, there are many vendors. MyFreedomSmokes has a lot of following here, and lots of flavored e-juices, as well as unflavored, in PG. But really there is no shortage of PG juices available...most of the vendors listed at the bottom of the ECF homepage carry PG juices...its more common than VG juices.
I am having the some reaction and looked up what it is made of. Is there a way that processing can take the allergins out? I am looking for many flavors and will check out what you suggested. Sorry if questions are lame! Total newbie.

Wolf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2009
Kingston, WA, U.S.A.
Are you sure it's an allergic reaction? There are many similar symptoms between allergies and withdrawal. There was a post some time ago about this only the concern was an allergy to PG. Many of the things in cigarette smoke can cause you to go through withdrawal. Coughing, sneezing, runny nose and itching are some of the things I went through. I thought I was allergic to the PG and started using VG, but after a while everything cleared up and I can now use either. I'm off to see if I can find that information for you. If I do, I'll post the link here.

mrtuna

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Livestrong article:
Vegetable glycerin is used in a number of personal and hygiene products and is also available as an oil supplement in liquid form. Glycerin is a plant extract that is thick like syrup, has no aroma and has a sweet taste, according to Botanical.com. Glycerin for use as vegetable glycerin is often derived from plants like coconut or palm. The product is used in shampoos, soaps, toothpaste and herbal remedies. Understanding the dangers of vegetable glycerin enables consumers to make wise choices regarding their household products.
Skin Irritation
Skin lotions and products containing vegetable glycerin may cause redness and irritation for some users. According to the label from one brand, Now Foods Vegetable Glycerin, found on iHerb.com, the product is to be discontinued if any such irritation develops.
Allergic Reaction
Any individual allergic to palm or coconut oil (or their extracts or byproducts) should be wary of products containing vegetable glycerin. Some products containing vegetable glycerin also contain preservatives to extend shelf life, states HealingWell.com, such as sulfite preservatives, which may also trigger allergic reactions.
Labeling Misconceptions
According to National Health Federation, glycerin is used an an emollient and a humectant, or key ingredients to lotions and shampoos to help keep creams and lotions retain their moisture. However, unless a product specifically states that glycerin comes from coconut or vegetable sources, it may actually be a product of pig fat, and when combined with disterate, or stearic acid, may actually be quite caustic or irritating to the skin.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Livestrong article:
Vegetable glycerin is used in a number of personal and hygiene products and is also available as an oil supplement in liquid form. Glycerin is a plant extract that is thick like syrup, has no aroma and has a sweet taste, according to Botanical.com. Glycerin for use as vegetable glycerin is often derived from plants like coconut or palm. The product is used in shampoos, soaps, toothpaste and herbal remedies. Understanding the dangers of vegetable glycerin enables consumers to make wise choices regarding their household products.
Skin Irritation
Skin lotions and products containing vegetable glycerin may cause redness and irritation for some users. According to the label from one brand, Now Foods Vegetable Glycerin, found on iHerb.com, the product is to be discontinued if any such irritation develops.
Allergic Reaction
Any individual allergic to palm or coconut oil (or their extracts or byproducts) should be wary of products containing vegetable glycerin. Some products containing vegetable glycerin also contain preservatives to extend shelf life, states HealingWell.com, such as sulfite preservatives, which may also trigger allergic reactions.
Labeling Misconceptions
According to National Health Federation, glycerin is used an an emollient and a humectant, or key ingredients to lotions and shampoos to help keep creams and lotions retain their moisture. However, unless a product specifically states that glycerin comes from coconut or vegetable sources, it may actually be a product of pig fat, and when combined with disterate, or stearic acid, may actually be quite caustic or irritating to the skin.

Well, there you go. It could well be just that. No problem about posting noob questions...that's what this forum is for! I don't have these issues, but evidently it is possible for some. PG also bothers you?

Wolf: good point. I had gastric issues initially probably from withdrawal, as has been discussed here on ECF. I do still have a couple real analogs a day currently. Without them, or at least what's in them (snus might work), I get constipated and stomach achy. Makes sense since the MAOIs in tobacco affect the smooth muscles, the colon being one. This is a typical cholinergic response of MAOIs.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I had a reaction to vg,My entire body developed a rash.It happened overnight and took a while to heal.

Keyzygirl, wow! That sounds like an overt immune response, not just irritation. I wonder if others have had this. I have not at all, but it sounds like a reaction I get to penicillin. Body rash is definitely something that is indicating a serious threat, and the next time it could be the throat closing up. I take it PG is not a problem...considering you are an ultra member now.

Wolf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2009
Kingston, WA, U.S.A.
Kurt do you have any idea where the PTBs have tucked the allergy and withdrawal information? I can't seem to find it and someone should really sticky it in the New Members area.

ETA: I found it. If you look in the FAQs there is a lot and I do mean a lot of good information for new vapers.

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, I don't think I'm allergic, but am having nausea issues. Going back to pg as soon as my order get here from TW.
Too much nicotine can make you nauseous.
Are you also getting headaches?

What strength juice are you using?
And how much of what cigarettes did you smoke?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Kurt do you have any idea where the PTBs have tucked the allergy and withdrawal information? I can't seem to find it and someone should really sticky it in the New Members area.

ETA: I found it. If you look in the FAQs there is a lot and I do mean a lot of good information for new vapers.

I don't know exactly, but this should get you started, if the FAQ is not enough:

Health, Safety and E-Smoking - E-Cigarette Forum

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
PGs fine,I dont take chances with VG anymore.Strange to me that most people are opposite.

Glad PG is fine for you. Ya, it is sort of the opposite, but then we are all different towards chemicals, and we are vaping chemicals. I sort of envy you, actually, since PG would make DIY much easier, and I would get to try a lot more flavors from vendors. I think PG is a slightly better anti-microbial than VG too, although they are both good at that.

Wolf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2009
Kingston, WA, U.S.A.
That is a beautiful dog, what kind is it?

That Raja, she's a white Siberian Husky with blue eyes. Actually what they call an Isabella white which is really a red dilute. In other words she looks all white, but in the right light you can see blonde to very pale red markings. The other is Riki and she's a red Siberian Husky, also with blue eyes. I know TMI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread