Status
Not open for further replies.

dhughey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Memphis, TN
After a lot of trial and error, i have built at 1.7 ohm microcoil with 9/10 wrap .28awg kanthal on an igo-l.

Now, as a precursor, i must say i have always been a proponent of sub ohm coils. I love the vape of a .6ohm igo-l on my mech. I absolutely love the vape of my AGA-T+ dual 1 ohm coil, which is .5 ohms overall. But, i do see the safety issues in new users building this style of coil on any rba/rda.. We constantly see "why is my switch hot" and whatnot. So saying that I will say this. . .

I love the micro coil. (For the micro coil aficionados i understand it's not tight, and there are other issues, but i have been playing with this new thing (to me), so i appreciate any and all advice on how to better it.)
Edit: this is used on a vamo

1.jpg 2.jpg

As for the comparison to sub ohm coils -
The flavor is there, it's amazing, right on par with a sub ohm
The vapor is there, slightly less than a sub ohm. I like it.

I do have two airholes on the cap. I have an igo-l with one air hole drilled out, but i used the one with two air holes drilled out. Overall i prefer the two holes, whether it be sub ohm, or this micro coil at 1.7.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome, as i said i love sub ohm, but i'm playing with this micro coil business and i love it.

I also think that as close as it is to sub ohm, any new person beginning to rebuild, should absolutely try this route before sub ohm.

Safety first!
-Daniel

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Daniel, Good work bro. Once you get those wraps closer, it'll perform even better. A HUGE misconception that is passed around is that "coils can't touch or you'll get hotspots".

I agree, with coils like the proper micro below, the entire coil becomes one orange, awesome, vapor churning hotspot with the quickness :)
ebuvuzut.jpg

I tend to compare sub ohm builds to proper micro in much the same way I do engines:
Sub ohm = Old school carbureted V8. Boisterous, low tech and inefficient, although once a performance standard.

Proper Micro (I say proper cause I have seen many pix of what people call micro coils, but they are way too large bore and/ or the wraps are not tight) = modern Performance V6. High tech, efficient and surpasses performance / output of larger displacement engines of yore.

In fact, a proper micro coil performs as well as an old school coil of 1/2 the resistance - a 2 ohm micro performs equal or better to a 1 ohm old school.

Last edited:

dhughey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Memphis, TN
Daniel, Good work bro. Once you get those wraps closer, it'll perform even better. A HUGE misconception that is passed around is that "coils can't touch or you'll get hotspots".

I agree, with coils like the proper micro below, the entire coil becomes one orange, awesome, vapor churning hotspot with the quickness :)
ebuvuzut.jpg

I tend to compare sub ohm builds to proper micro in much the same way I do engines:
Sub ohm = Old school carbureted V8. Boisterous, low tech and inefficient, although once a performance standard.

I'm sorry to cut you off, but as the owner of a 1985 Jeep CJ7, with a 304 amc engine.. i'm sorry, but your comparison is valid.

The same way the carb is oldschool and amazing! is the same way as the new "microcoil" is amazing.
It's subjective. And subjectively i love sub ohm builds.. But i have to give props to the new age. Your fuel injection is amazing...

But im oldschool and i love the carb... :)

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
I'm going to try a "micro" coil that is spaced out abit like what Dhughey has on the 1st post. I was able to run 0.9 ohm coil, but I don't know how to replicate going that low again on an eVic.

Edit: 30g Kanthal A1, wrapped in 1.5mm pin, with some spacing between each coil, and reading at 1.6 ohm. Less vapor compared to the touching microcoils, but flavor seems to be the same. I'm eating garlic shrimp chips, drinking crown royal maple, and vaping red bull; I am still able to taste the red bull. I have little experience with sub-ohms, so I can't compare it.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I just need to grab me a REO so I can rub elbows with you and Pdib, lol

Jeremy, every day vaping without a slick squeezebox like a REO grand is a day that much more complicated and less enjoyable than it can be bro. If I had another spare, I'd shoot it to you but I'm down to only 3 right now.

Not only is a REO insanely practical, bottom fed RBAs are about as simple as they get to build, experiment and achieve awesome vape sessions. I look forward to when you, Jasl90 and Jerms join us on the dark side. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Jeremy, every day vaping without a slick squeezebox like a REO grand is a day that much more complicated and less enjoyable than it can be bro. If I had another spare, I'd shoot it to you but I'm down to only 3 right now.

Not only is a REO insanely practical, bottom fed RBAs are about as simple as they get to build, experiment and achieve awesome vape sessions. I look forward to when you, Jasl90 and Jerms join us on the dark side. :)

If I could suggest just get two - then you can mix and match em like this:
y6yramet.jpg

7arujaqa.jpg

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
There really isn't much to go wrong, rocket science it ain't.

Dude, I totally blame my stupid google-pad-thingy for that! That is NOT what I typed at all! (lying,lying)

I know for a fact that you, stO, are a master coil builder. (lying about the "fact" part, but admit that its probably the case)

Are you using silica? I found that it can't keep up. The fluff off a q-tip does great, if you just wanna do a quick swap-n-see.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
iPhone 5 (micro) vs Brick car phones of the 90's (OS coil) ?

Pdib / JE: well said. I didn't wanna go there but that was what I was thinking too :)

bad comparison ---:D
os coil 28g. w/ nano wrap and cotton is like a Challenger w/ a HEMI and a supercharger.. Old school still takes you there..in first place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread