Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Like wine, juices improve over time. Steeping is very important. Flavoring is just chemistry and it takes time for the flavor bonds to complete their task. I've seen juices vape in 3 days, but more often in a week to two weeks. They can be even better in a month and some swear three times that long. Best to just experiment with it yourself and figure it out as you go along. One thing is for sure, it's not done steeping today. Welcome and Power Up and vape On!

Coulson

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2013
Behind you!
Like wine, juices improve over time. Steeping is very important. Flavoring is just chemistry and it takes time for the flavor bonds to complete their task. I've seen juices vape in 3 days, but more often in a week to two weeks. They can be even better in a month and some swear three times that long. Best to just experiment with it yourself and figure it out as you go along. One thing is for sure, it's not done steeping today. Welcome and Power Up and Vape On!

Im with Billbeckusa on this one. It a process of bonding. The longer it sits, the more bonding, thus more flavor and great taste. Usually, a week is good if your mouth is drooling and can't wait another min! 2 weeks to a month is better. Get a rotation going so juice is always steeping and you dont run out. Its also good to note that if your in dire need, rapid steeping does help the juice mature faster. But in the end, there is no substitute for patience, and letting it develop naturally

Tanrichguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Rochester, NY
...Its also good to note that if your in dire need, rapid steeping does help the juice mature faster. But in the end, there is no substitute for patience, and letting it develop naturally

Rapid steeping? Can you explain this to me? Sorry but I am still smoking analog cigs and will be vaping on Thursday for the first time. I dont have any liquid yet so I will need to use it right away...

Coulson

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2013
Behind you!
It varies so widely its often hard to tell. If you get mixed on order e-juice you are looking at anywhere from a week to a month depending on the flavoring of the e-juice. Fruit based flavors, in my experience, need at least 2 weeks or more. Tobacco flavors are sometimes fine at a week, better at 2. Coffee flavors are usually fine with a week while baked goods like cake or cookies and anything cream based need 3-4 weeks. That is just my experience based on my own DIY and what I have found from mixed to order e-juice. Most of the places that mix to order, that I use, date the day of mix and I start my steep count from their date. ANd its just a guideline - sometimes you have to just try a few drips out every week or so until you hit the right amount of time and then remember it the next time you order that flavor for how long it should sit about.

If you order from a custom maker/mix on order site, read the paperwork that comes with it or check their site - they usually have guidelines for how long they think their e-juices should steep for the best flavor possible. WHile longer is usually always better, if you get one you don't like it may never get better for you no matter how long you wait.

As for e-juices from 'manufacturers' that premix and store e-juice before sale, often the shelf life is long enough that they need no steeping. I usually use e-juice I get from china (like Hansen of DK), Italy and even some US companies immediately as i know they have had plenty of time in a dark place (shipping crate) for several weeks while being shipped and sold.

Last edited:

Coulson

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2013
Behind you!
Some juices never improve. I have some here that tasted so crappy that even 4 years of steeping hasn't helped! I'm debating if I should give them another year or two.

I would have tossed them after several months if you were not happy. My opinion is to have the freshest juice possible, properly steeped (1-4 weeks, no direct sunlight, cool dark place), based upon your vaping habit (how much you vape in a given time frame). There is a point at which the juice won't get any better. Remember: PG, VG and Nicotine have a shelf life of a year... give or take in proper conditions. All things perish is some form!

marianna

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
Netherlands
Steeping seems to be necessary for blending base liquids with tobacco or citrus flavors.
And perhaps the time it requires depends on the nicotin level as well.
I think the reason that I can vape my juices immediately, is that I don't use tobacco nor citrus and no nicotin.
Anyway, I love vaping my home made e-juices at once. :2cool:

If someone buys ready-to-vape e-liquid from a store, it probably already had enough time to steep.

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    noob question but whats a good amount of time for juices to steep

Too broad of a question :)
    It varies so much from juice to juice, vendor to vendor.
    Did you have anything in particular in mind?
    Is it a simple flavor like one fruit? Or complex like Hazelnut Caramel Macchioto?
    What is the pg/vg ratio?
    See what I mean? :)

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 13, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    As a rule NETs require the most steep time.

Huntsman of HHV is one of my favorites. It used to take me three weeks. I have reduced this to 10 days when I need it. Now, when I get the new juice, I shake it up vigorously, then take the cap off. I then 'breathe' the bottle by squeezing all the air out, and releasing it to bring in fresh air about five or six times, twice a day. I do this for two days. Then I replace the cap, put them in a dark place and shake them twice a day while leaving the caps on. On the final steep day, I breathe it twice, but I put the cap on when I finish.

I have found no juices that this method does not make in a good vape-able state within ten days. I vape Ahlusion, HHV, MOV, Highbrow, and AiV. 90% of my juice is NETs. If you are not using one of these juices, it likely will still work.

Tanrichguy

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 2, 2013
    Rochester, NY

Coulson

ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2013
    Behind you!
    Holy Moly! I had no idea this was going to be so complicated. Though I would imagine that if you were buying "off the shelf" juice they would already have a certain amount of maturity, no?

Depends on when the juice was made and stored. Letting in steep naturally is always best... but if you cant wait, a hot water bath of 125 degrees (dont go over 140) for a few hours helps alot. Just shake the bottle every 30 mins. Not complicated at all

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Holy Moly! I had no idea this was going to be so complicated. Though I would imagine that if you were buying "off the shelf" juice they would already have a certain amount of maturity, no?

With most juices steeping and letting juice breathe is a personal preference not a requirement. After trying literally 100's I can count on one hand juices that actually improved in taste after 5 ~ 30 days steeping IMO.

Some folks just like to make vaping sound complicated for some reason, it aint, fill device, install on battery, mash button, vape.

Last edited:

djezewski

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2013
    Wayland, New York, United States
    My menthols have all been fine right away. The Rum & Coke I have is just starting to ripen after 1 mo(not really liking that one so I ordered some lime add to it) My tobacco & honey is 2 1/2 weeks old and almost ready..so yes, I have to agree with other posters, if it is pre-mixed it is good to go, if custom blended it needs time. I bought a non- see through plastic file box the keep mine in while they steep so they are kept in the dark. I found one of my menthol blends yesterday that I forgot about, while it is 2 years old it is wonderful..I want to order that flavor again I just wonder what it will taste un-aged like that :facepalm:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread