eRoll-C "Like sucking a milkshake through a straw"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
Received an eRoll-C kit yesterday (Totally Wicked have them at sale price) and have used it over the last 24 hours so far. Never used the original eRoll, but was attracted to Eroll-C because of its dinky size, stylish cig-alike appearance and also the largely positive reviews of its predecessor. And of course the eRoll-C is an upgraded eRoll – so it must be better right?

From reading eRoll reviews, I can say that all the drawbacks of the old model still remain in eRoll-C: small tank size and battery life, hot atomiser cover, air hole etc. – but for the most part I accept these niggles and can live with them. What I find difficult to get around is the stiff draw. Vapour production can be decent, but you really have to WORK for this with long, hard pulls that feel like sucking a thick milkshake through a straw. I haven’t read about the original eRoll having such a tight draw, but it’s definitely a problem on both of the eRoll-C units that came with my starter kit. In fact, video reviews of the original eRoll often show the reviewers producing a fair amount of thick vapour without much effort – making me think that the airflow channels in the new eRoll-C tanks are not as effective as the old ones. I have put 70/30, 50/50 and 0/100 PG/VG liquids through the eRoll-C, and used both SR and LR atties. They all wick but I get the same draw. This really spoils the experience on what otherwise would be a great alternative to my more cumbersome e-cigs. Even real cigarettes which the eRoll-C is supposed to emulate have an easier draw than this. If you draw lightly on eRoll-C, vapour production becomes less than a cheap store bought disposable. I’m loathe to resort to a thinner e-liquid like 100% PG because I don’t like the harshness (plus vapour will be even thinner).

I haven’t given up on eRoll-C yet and hope the draw can somehow loosen up over time. Anyone else picked one up and having the same issues? Know any workarounds?

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I'm glad you have not given up on it and I am sure someone who can help you will come a long. I just don't know much about them.:oops: I tried different things but was not 100% satisfied until I started using the reo. There are so many options out there now. I do wish you all the luck in the world and hope I read a future post about how happy you are with vaping. :)

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
I don't have a eRoll-C kit, but I think you can drill out the (2) air-intake holes and this will increase your air-flow. I did this to increase the air-flow of my Kanger Pro-Tank 2 BCC and AnyVape Davide BCC. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Do you mean the side and bottom air holes? I don't have the tools for that. I did try to prise open the vapour channels of the inner tank to widen them as they seem like really narrow slits that would slow the vapour from being drawn. Also have made sure when the tank goes in that the flat sides are in line with the gaps on either side of the atomiser head.

Fiddling hasn't made much difference. Neither has using 'non-sugary dessert' e-liquids that are supposedly easier on the head. Draw is still too tight so I guess it was made like this. The channels in the tank system really let down an otherwise great little device.

EDIT: I'm going to try and get my hands on an old tank from the original eRoll - just to see if it is any better than the new one.

Last edited:

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
I'm glad you have not given up on it and I am sure someone who can help you will come a long. I just don't know much about them.:oops: I tried different things but was not 100% satisfied until I started using the reo. There are so many options out there now. I do wish you all the luck in the world and hope I read a future post about how happy you are with vaping. :)

Thank you, in fact I'm more than happy with my other vaping device/s. eRoll-C was a 'gadget impulse buy' more than anything else...thought it would make the ideal stealth device to avoid setting off fire alarms in buildings. And I'm still using it here and there, despite the draw problem.

Reactions: DHolly

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
IMAG1319.jpg IMAG1325.jpg

I received a pack of original eRoll cartridges and tried one on the newer eRoll-C. The draw has slightly improved - going from being very stiff to firm, with just a bit more vapour production. It's only a very subtle difference but it makes my eRoll-C a lot more usable and fit for purpose.

The vents in the original cartridges seem identical in design to the newer ones except they do look a tiny bit more wider - or at least open - than in my 'C' cartridges. The 'C' cartridge vents look like they are supposed to be the same as in the original cartridges but, because they are such tiny slits, the molding process can be hit and miss, leading to some vents not being as well manufactured as others. Maybe that's why I got my particular eRoll-C kit at sale price … it was from a bad batch!

IMAG1333.jpg

Another thing about the original plastic cartridge is that it is more comfortable in the mouth than the metal-coated 'C' cartridge. The metal on the 'C' cartridge is not only harder but also noticeably heavier when dangling the e-cig hands free between lips or teeth. My only complaint about, the old cartridge is its visual appearance. The translucent material doesn't match the rest of the e-cig and makes the unsightly build up of internal condensation highly visible.

So all in all, I think the eRoll-C is worthwhile only if you can get hold of one with better air vents than I received. Otherwise you are better off with the original eRoll.

IMAG1296.jpg IMAG1297.jpg

I guess using an eRoll-C as a back up to an Ego One with 0.5 ohm head is bound to highlight differences in air flow.

Last edited:

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
Glad the old tanks helped a little. I've never used the eRoll-C, but I love my eRolls. I find that I have to take a small primer puff, and then a nice long drag. After the atty heats up, the primer puff doesn't seem needed. Good luck!

Yes, that's how I usually do it too. And if I want to make the most of the 0.4ml juice that the tank holds, I sometimes take a longer first drag instead of a short primer puff. Either way works.

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
I shared this thread with customer support at Joyetech UK and was advised that the draw on both eRolls and eRoll-Cs have to be tight enough to activate the automatic batteries, but since I was finding the draw on eRoll-C particular hard, they were happy to send me a complimentary pack of 'C' cartridges. I received the pack yesterday and tried one of the cartridges, which fortunately had a slightly better draw that was similar to the older style cartridges. Thanks Joyetech!

Here is a photo comparing it to the one of the cartridges that came with my kit. The left cartridge is from the kit and the right cartridge is from the new pack. The one from the new pack seems to have visibly wider and better defined side slots for air channels.

IMAG1347.jpg

Haven't tried the other four cartridges from the new pack yet, but if they are the same as the one pictured above, I will be a satisfied e-Roll-C owner. Now that my 'C' is working properly, I may do a full review of it after a bit more use.

k73t5.jpg
eRoll-C finally in action!

Last edited:
Reactions: AstroTurf

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
North Las Vegas, Nevada,U.S.A.
I shared this thread with customer support at Joyetech UK and was advised that the draw on both eRolls and eRoll-Cs have to be tight enough to activate the automatic batteries, but since I was finding the draw on eRoll-C particular hard, they were happy to send me a complimentary pack of 'C' cartridges. I received the pack yesterday and tried one of the cartridges, which fortunately had a slightly better draw that was similar to the older style cartridges. Thanks Joyetech!

Here is a photo comparing it to the one of the cartridges that came with my kit. The left cartridge is from the kit and the right cartridge is from the new pack. The one from the new pack seems to have visibly wider and better defined side slots for air channels.

View attachment 426607

Haven't tried the other four cartridges from the new pack yet, but if they are the same as the one pictured above, I will be a satisfied e-Roll-C owner. Now that my 'C' is working properly, I may do a full review of it after a bit more use.

View attachment 426610
eRoll-C finally in action!
V2 Cigs had a similar problem with their "EX" battery. The original "EX" battery had a nice "airy" draw, but a "forceful" draw was required to activate the battery and V2 immediately redesigned the "EX" battery with a "tighter" draw. Glad that everything worked out:)

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Cheers EJAB. Not a V2 user so didn't know that. Guess we have to appreciate these tiny auto batt cig-a-likes for what they are. Luckily I only have to put up with a "firm" draw now. Downside is I'm concerned about getting 'smokers lines'. This might be another way that the eRoll gives you the same experience as cigarettes!

Sometimes my eroll draw gets too tight and I first use a pin to gently clear out the hole at the bottom. That ususally does the trick, but I just do a bit at a time and try again, because sometimes I've gotten the draw too airy.

The other hole is next, it the bottom one didn't help enough. I've never gotten a new eroll with too tight of a draw though, so the problem might be different with yours. I figure you probably have two batteries. Are they both too tight?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'm trying to figure out why threads from this section don't show up in my posts....
Will someone just like this or respond. It's harder to get here under the new system.

Links to other ecf articles aren't working for me. Maybe things are still being put back together, but I'm glad we can post again.

Reactions: four2109

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Thanks for the tip nicnik. I didn't have a pin on me but tried with a toothpick. Didn't seem to make a difference, will try with pin later. What exactly does it do? Am I jabbing at an air pocket or something?

I made one worse once, when the tip of the wooden toothpick broke off in the 2nd hole, and I couldn't get it out. What I try to do with a pin, is angle it in every direction, trying to scrape the surface of everwhere it can touch, but gently, because I haven't much idea of the insides. I attempt to scrape off any gunk that might have built up. I also blow in and out of the holes, however that often switches the battery on for about 10 seconds, so I do that only with no atomizer attached.

Other things I've done to lighten the draw include, removing the mouthpiece end of the cartridge and the next disc inside (this also results in a more enjoyable 'soft tip' type of feel - probably great for people who want to vape hands-free), blowing through the atomizer to make it more airy, rewicking (I use cotton) or removing a strand or two from the wick (I always at least modify the wick on a new atomizer so that it will wick faster for my high vg content liquid), or just simply changing atomizer or cartridge to see if that's the problem.

It sounds like you might dislike a tight draw as much as I, so you might not want to keep one loose in your pocket. I do that a lot, and that could be a big part of why the problem develops for me. Also, with the top two parts of the cartridge removed, stuff gets inside the cartridge air chamber, but that's real easy to clean.

Reactions: Jin_888

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
I made one worse once, when the tip of the wooden toothpick broke off in the 2nd hole, and I couldn't get it out. What I try to do with a pin, is angle it in every direction, trying to scrape the surface of everwhere it can touch, but gently, because I haven't much idea of the insides. I attempt to scrape off any gunk that might have built up. I also blow in and out of the holes, however that often switches the battery on for about 10 seconds, so I do that only with no atomizer attached.

Other things I've done to lighten the draw include, removing the mouthpiece end of the cartridge and the next disc inside (this also results in a more enjoyable 'soft tip' type of feel - probably great for people who want to vape hands-free), blowing through the atomizer to make it more airy, rewicking (I use cotton) or removing a strand or two from the wick (I always at least modify the wick on a new atomizer so that it will wick faster for my high vg content liquid), or just simply changing atomizer or cartridge to see if that's the problem.

It sounds like you might dislike a tight draw as much as I, so you might not want to keep one loose in your pocket. I do that a lot, and that could be a big part of why the problem develops for me. Also, with the top two parts of the cartridge removed, stuff gets inside the cartridge air chamber, but that's real easy to clean.

It would be good to know how much juice or gunk can get inside the battery enclosure. I guess we can scrape it with a pin but the problem is it would just fall off inside and gather somewhere else unless we can get it out of the casing altogether.

The cap on the new metal coated eRoll-C cartridge seems very difficult to remove with the end of a paper clip so I followed your advice on an old eRoll cartridge. Thanks - that's another tip I will add to the list - although after removing the inner disc I reinsert the cap to help condense flavour. And then I can still keep one eRoll loose in the pocket without fluff and stuff getting in.

And you're correct - I dislike a tight draw. Although I have vaped pretty tight ego tanks and CE4 clearos in the past, I then moved on to Kanger Emow tanks with airflow controls and my main devices now are the equally airy Ego Ones. So going from these to the eRoll system has been a challenge on the draw front but with the help and feedback I'm getting here, I'm finally getting to a point where I can use it regularly *thumbs up!*

All these little tips and fixes reminds me of getting the original ego-tank system to work many moons ago. In fact, the eRoll seems to be the ego-tank reincarnated in cig-alike form.

Last edited:
Reactions: nicnik

Jin_888

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london
Does anyone else find that their eRoll or eRoll-C has a harder draw when switching from a SR atomiser to a LR one? I have been trying to work out why this may be, but no joy. I would expect the LR atty to produce an easier draw because it is burning liquid faster, however, the draw definitely slows down for me.

Read elsewhere on this forum that the SR atiies have three slots in the wicking pin and that the LR atties only have one. But both my SR and LR atties have three slots, so should wick and draw the same. I asked Joyetech customer service about this and was advised that there shouldn't be a difference but that there may be a slight structural difference between SR and LR...but whatever it is wasn't made clear.

If I could get an SR draw from an LR attie that would be all my eRoll problems sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread