show off your mech! homebuilt mods only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

memoe

Mar 26, 2014
Amarillo, Tx,USA
Made this a year ago still use at the CPU.
5V USB.jpg 5V Pass.jpg

Reactions: thetrucker

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm not sure if this thread is only for ground-up mech building, though I do those too and will post some here later. However I also do a lot of take-a-crap-mod-and-make-it-good renovations. This is a recent example of one of those.

I saw potential in this Who Dares Wins 26650 mod, especially the form factor and material, and thought in the worst case I could use the aluminum casting and replace the main components. That turned out to be the case. Stock performance was poor, hampered by a typically weak switch (current passing through small spring) and iffy contact with the 510 center pin. I bypassed the stock switch and installed an LPG tube mod switch up top. It doesn't look much like an LPG switch anymore because I shortened the bezel so the button would sit up high. A quality spring loaded 510 replaced the original. There is one wire inside going from the bottom of the battery to the 510, otherwise the connections are solid and mechanical. Hits great and feels very nice in the hand. Been using it with a 4200 mah battery, but will probably try one of the new 5200 mah types. Total height to the top of the button is under 90mm.

I'm not sure I'm done with the finish with this one. All I did was chemically strip it, square up the top and bottom surfaces, soften the edges and give it a satin hand finish using different grits of metal finishing pads. The front seems to need something though. Maybe a big circular Lucky Strike sticker or a bulls eye?

$19.43 Who Dares Wins 26650 Mechanical Box Mod - 1*26650 / aluminum alloy / black at FastTech

IMAG0483_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0486_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0491_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0494_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0493_picmonkeyed.jpg

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
This is a modified Yiloong Fog Box. It hit poorly stock, so I replaced the switch with a high-flush type, the 510 connector with a full size spring loaded one, and rewired everything. None of that was as easy as it sounds inside the PITA cramped interior. The first thing I did to the wood was open up the upper tank ring to accept 23mm tanks. That made it too weak and easily breakable, so I cut half of it off. With the quality spring loaded 510 the atty no longer needed support. I then shortened the height and exposed the copper battery tube, which I just couldn't resist doing, rounded all the edges as much as I could, and refinished.

Fog Box

IMAG0458_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0456_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0454_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0460_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0461_picmonkeyed.jpg

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
Progress on another 26650 mod. The insides are all done and I have just started to shape it. Will be rounded both sides and angled on the atty side. It's designed for how I like to hold this kind of mod, with atty side toward the palm and index finger on the switch. Will have a custom tall tank to fit.

IMAG0502_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0504_picmonkeyed.jpg
IMAG0503_picmonkeyed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread