Not open for further replies.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Anyone come up with a decent starting percentage for the Nova flavors yet? The site recommends 15% which to me seems high. I would think 7 - 8% may be more in line.

prime
torque
tribeca
buba

I see some starting at 6 - 7% and maybe as high as 10% any followups on that?

Last edited:

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
I haven't mixed mine yet but when i do i'm going to start with small batches at 10%. I really hope 10% works out well, it would make mixing 100ml bottles very easy.

I actually haven't mixed in a while but these Halo flavors sparked my attention. I especially like that i only have to mix one flavor. In the past i've used MyFreedomSmokes nic base. Who has the good stuff now for a good price?

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I haven't mixed mine yet but when i do i'm going to start with small batches at 10%. I really hope 10% works out well, it would make mixing 100ml bottles very easy.

I actually haven't mixed in a while but these Halo flavors sparked my attention. I especially like that i only have to mix one flavor. In the past i've used MyFreedomSmokes nic base. Who has the good stuff now for a good price?

I'm still waiting on mine and hearing all these followups has hightened my anticipation. Please report back your findings when you get around to mixing them..

Last edited:

JRZROB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
NJ
Hi Guys, I received my Nova Tribeca and Prime flavorings. I mixed the Tribeca @ 70/30 PG/VG, 4mg Nic, 10% Flavor with only a 20 minute hot bath and this is the closest to real Tribeca that I have had thus far for a single flavor mix. I think the real Tribeca has more flavor than 10% (taste is sweeter to me) as I vape them side by side and possibly missing a slight hint of the tobacco. I'm going to mix up a batch with a little more flavor and let steep for a week or two. The Prime that I mixed the same way tastes a little off to me and needs to be mellowed out, might need to play around with ratio and steeping. I really like Dan's Prime recipe. Thanks to all in this thread! Looking forward to more reviews.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Mixed up some Nova prime, torque and tribeca all at 10%. In the UC now will report back in about 5 hours. Side note I got a little tribeca on my fingers and the wife says I smell like pancake syrup:) The odors seem pretty authentic. Color before steeping is pretty dead on. I know this because Halo manufacturing and distribution is in the same town I work in and I have gotten there product day 1 fresh and needed to steep it. And as another side note they don't offer a discount for walk in purchase. There not even that happy about walkin's

I did not taste before steeping as I already know what it taste like unsteeped. I want to evaluate the steeped product as I have some original fully steeped halo to compare it to.

Will likely do the buba's tomorrow.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
As promised I'm back to report on the Nova halo clone flavorings.

All mixed at 10% flavoring in a 12mg 80VG 20PG base. 3 hour steep in UC

Note: they all could use more steep time.

Tribeca,

Rating 80% (But I could be biased on this one)

I would give it a rating of 80% as far as authenticity. The thing is I must be spoiled because I make american cigarette mixes that I prefer over this. It's passable as a halo clone but not by much..... Can take it or leave it. As I make better I wouldn't buy it again

Prime

rating 100%

Dead ringer for the halo counter part. Has that nutty goodness with that mossy note that is so hard to duplicate. They got this one right...... I highly recommend it. I would buy it again

Torque

rating 92% (8 points off for that slight perfumy note)

Very close but noticed a perfume top note. This has all the elements of the original torque.
ry4 type sweetness without being over the top
fruity, mossy note which is hard to duplicate
Chocolate top note
The after taste and mout feel is a dead ringer for the original counter part. I think with more steeping it will loose that perfumey top note and it will be as exact as anything I've tasted..... I highly recommend it. I would buy this again.

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
I just got my package of Nova Boba, Torque, and Midnight Apple. Waiting on a hot bath, will try them tonight. They all smell pretty good, especially the Bobas. Will report back.

Thanks for your reports back Danny45!!

@tencentcat, how's the Midnight Apple compare to Halo's?

Also, still waiting to hear someone's comparison for Captain Jack flavoring (they do offer it now right, I think I saw someone say they got it as a free sample?) - Nevermind, I VAPIN8 is the one who mentioned that, but it was pre-mixed liquids

tencentcat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
denton tx
@tencentcat, how's the Midnight Apple compare to Halo's?
I haven't tried it since the first night I mixed it, but I think I'm going to like it. From what I remember of midnight apple there was a nice dryness to the apple, which the Nova doesn't really have. It reminded me more of clones I've tried to make myself using FW and CAP apples. But that's just after a few hours. It does seem to have that certain something that Halo does that I can't put my finger on.

It's been a few days now, so I'll try it again today and see what's changed.

As for the Bobas, I dig it. It's not quite what I remember, but it seems to nail the important elements. Heavy on the molasses / pipe tobacco with a prune/raisin element. Definitely a coil gunker.

I agree with Danny's assessment of Torque. It gets pretty close. Has that certain Halo something. Seems to lack a bit of depth though. I have a feeling steeping with help that.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Just to update on the torque. I diluted it by half going from 10% to 5% and it's much better but still I think I may need to dilute it further. 10% I feel is way to much, at 10% it gives a strong perfume top note and an undesired bite on the tongue. I'll go with what I have (5%) for a week or so to see if it mellows then adjust it if nessessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: tencentcat

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
I haven't tried it since the first night I mixed it, but I think I'm going to like it. From what I remember of midnight apple there was a nice dryness to the apple, which the Nova doesn't really have. It reminded me more of clones I've tried to make myself using FW and CAP apples. But that's just after a few hours. It does seem to have that certain something that Halo does that I can't put my finger on.

It's been a few days now, so I'll try it again today and see what's changed.

As for the Bobas, I dig it. It's not quite what I remember, but it seems to nail the important elements. Heavy on the molasses / pipe tobacco with a prune/raisin element. Definitely a coil gunker.

I agree with Danny's assessment of Torque. It gets pretty close. Has that certain Halo something. Seems to lack a bit of depth though. I have a feeling steeping with help that.

Thanks for the update! So, sounds like it has the Halo special, but the apple might be a little off? Maybe your later testing will show that's improved some, hope so!

Someone here said they had a great clone, and I bookmarked it to ask them later, but now I can't find it, maybe it was you? They posted about working on it here off and on for a while, and then finally got the apple right and that's what made me bookmark to ask later. If that wasn't you, and these flavors don't seem to get it right, then maybe I can find that user and their apple suggestions will be able to help.

* Nice! I see they now do offer the Captain Jack flavoring!! @VAPIN8 how was the pre-mixed Capt. Jack liquid

Reactions: tencentcat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread