Status
Not open for further replies.

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
I thought it would be a good idea to give my tumbled Raw grand a nice dip in my ultrasonic today. So I put a couple of grips of dish soap and ran it for 15 minutes

Now the finish is distorted and looks awful. Has anyone else had problems with ultrasonics and tumbled raw finishes? Better yet is there a way to get that nice clean finish back?

To make it worse i broke the 510 removing the positive and have to send it in. Bad day all around.
View media item 427966

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
aluminum darkens/"turns" in alkaline conditions. dish soap is alkaline. the ultrasonic is like a catalyst for intensifying the soap's efficacy.

(dishwasher also not good for aluminum)

smile.gif

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Send it in I can run it through the tumbler it should clean up just fine

Just mail it to the address on your website and include a note on all the stupid things I did to it today?

That just sucks man. Im sorry. Wasnt the new ss 510 was it?

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention and was totally my fault. I've removed it several times with no problems. Really ...... at myself as I just ruined my favorite mod (temporarily ruined).

Mrs C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Indiana
No REO backup but do have a GDNA V4.2 which will keep me squonking while mine is in for repair. I think it is time to get that anodized black LP/SL that has been calling my name.

If they travel in the same box don't be surprised to find a 3rd shortly after :lol:

RickCain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
You could have him send the new one back with the one youre sending in for repair! Itd be like christmas!:D

The compulsive side of me says no, just knowing I can't use mine is reason to get another one before the repair. This will ensure I can screw up and not be without at least one REO.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
I put my aluminum gas stove manifolds in the dish washer with dish washer soap and it turned them almost black. I believe it's like pdib stated earlier, the alkaline in the dish soap quickly tarnishes the aluminum. I suspect the machine wash soap causes this reaction even faster than the hand wash soap.

In the case of my manifolds I was not able to clean them shiny again, even with steel wool and tarnish remover. I suspect it would take a good resurfacing with a bead/media blaster to bring it back. Robs tumbler will probably do the trick.

Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread