what am I doing wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
hello folks I am an old lady with failing eye sight - I think I bit off more than I can chew I have built. 4 tiny coils for the kayfun4 clone except it keeps coming up at 0.2 ohms and of course the Istick 20 watts won't fire - man it is finicky I tried 28 kanthal that some youngster suggested there are 10 little wraps why does it say 0.2 WHAT is the deciding factors- the size of the wire or the number of wraps my other wire says kanthal D 0.32 it is frustrating to wrap the little coil get the itty bitty ends screwed down and the get a reading of O.2 and not see the glow I have only had one success and that was for the evod -suggestions-education-or just vape on my nautilaus mini and Istick and send the kayfun 4 to the bottom drawer - just wanted to learn to build a coil and txt a little juice- think I bought the wrong set up I am a beginner

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
hello folks I am an old lady with failing eye sight - I think I bit off more than I can chew I have built. 4 tiny coils for the kayfun4 clone except it keeps coming up at 0.2 ohms and of course the Istick 20 watts won't fire - man it is finicky I tried 28 kanthal that some youngster suggested there are 10 little wraps why does it say 0.2 WHAT is the deciding factors- the size of the wire or the number of wraps my other wire says kanthal D 0.32 it is frustrating to wrap the little coil get the itty bitty ends screwed down and the get a reading of O.2 and not see the glow I have only had one success and that was for the evod -suggestions-education-or just vape on my nautilaus mini and Istick and send the kayfun 4 to the bottom drawer - just wanted to learn to build a coil and txt a little juice- think I bought the wrong set up I am a beginner

10 wraps of 28 gauge single coil should give you a lot more than 0.2 ohms; should be more like 1 to 1.5 ohms.

If you are trying to do 4 coils at the same time, then you'd have a problem.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Do you have a decent vape shop nearby? If so I would look to them for help. Otherwise You tube videos on recoiling kayfun4. I find one of those big magnifying lenses with the light around it on a boom to be great for small work. Crafty type places have them. yeah I am an old fart so I understand. Make sure your coil is not touching a post or the case anywhere it should not.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
10 wraps of 28 gauge single coil should give you a lot more than 0.2 ohms; should be more like 1 to 1.5 ohms.

If you are trying to do 4 coils at the same time, then you'd have a problem.
no not four - I have made 4 in the past few days 1 was a half assed success - well it fired in the evod tank said1.3 and I wicked it with hemp cotton -all the lad had

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Do you have a decent vape shop nearby? If so I would look to them for help. Otherwise You tube videos on recoiling kayfun4. I find one of those big magnifying lenses with the light around it on a boom to be great for small work. Crafty type places have them. yeah I am an old fart so I understand. Make sure your coil is not touching a post or the case anywhere it should not.
not really great vape shops - mostly juice some equipment I went in to buy kanthal and wick to try to make little coils for evod came out with the kayfun 4 clone -didn't know clones existed - perhaps I need a igo l ? would it be any easier or is it just perserverence

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Well if you do 10 wraps of 28 gauge, put that on your istick without the fog chamber and test it for ohms.
It should read over 1 ohm,

If you put on the fog chamber maybe it is touching the coil and causing a short
maybe I need to get a better light and magnifying glass -perhaps some wires are crossed somewhere

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
16895869028_847ea038f8_k.jpg

should look something like this.

maybe you have extra wire sticking out from the positive and touching the deck which is negative

Last edited:

Susan2014

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2014
Va
Caro,
you are not the only old lady here LOL I got myself a head set of magnifying glasses. You wear it like a head band over your forehead then the glasses can go up and down. Got mine at Harbor Freight I think the name of the company is. Also takes time and a lot of playing until you get it where you have more good ones then bad coils.
Keep trying.;)

Reactions: Caro123

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
Before you coil the kayfun, put the chimney ring on. Take a 1/16 wide strip cut from a soda can and insert it between the screws and wall of the ring. It should fit easily. 2nd make sure your lifting the coil off the deck about 2 mm. If you don't lift the coil the negative leg can short and what you measure is the resistance of that leg.

Reactions: Susan2014

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
well I somehow dismantled the kayfun 4 and a spring popped out I have tried to put in all back together and haven't been having much luck -did finally get a little coil to glow but then it stopped and the Istick 20 said no atomizer SO I decided to try to build a kitty bitty upright upright coil for the nautilaus mini from a YouTube video using 28 kanthal and a little piece of fluffy hemp 4 mm by 15 mm soaked in juice - it is working - not the biggest vapour in the world but the reading says 1.2 ohms -9 watts on the Istick 20 the draw is a little tighter than the and the hemp fluff tastes a little different -is this okay?????

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Before you coil the kayfun, put the chimney ring on. Take a 1/16 wide strip cut from a soda can and insert it between the screws and wall of the ring. It should fit easily. 2nd make sure your lifting the coil off the deck about 2 mm. If you don't lift the coil the negative leg can short and what you measure is the resistance of that leg.
I don't understand- I somehow ended up with a dismantled kayfun -I finally got a coil to glow on the kayfun 4 but then Istick said no atomizer a few seconds later- I will try again in the meantime I managed to rebuild a tiny little coil for the nautilaus mini -watched a YouTube video used 28 kanthal 10 wraps and a little piece of hemp fluff 4 mm x 15 mm it vapes no huge vapour but reading says 1.2 ohms 9 watts draw is a little tight and tastes a little different the juice is a 60 pg 40 vg - would the fact that it is 1.2 ohms and hemp fluff be why it draws a little tight and tastes a little different??????

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I don't understand- I somehow ended up with a dismantled kayfun -I finally got a coil to glow on the kayfun 4 but then Istick said no atomizer a few seconds later- I will try again in the meantime I managed to rebuild a tiny little coil for the nautilaus mini -watched a YouTube video used 28 kanthal 10 wraps and a little piece of hemp fluff 4 mm x 15 mm it vapes no huge vapour but reading says 1.2 ohms 9 watts draw is a little tight and tastes a little different the juice is a 60 pg 40 vg - would the fact that it is 1.2 ohms and hemp fluff be why it draws a little tight and tastes a little different??????
ok I missed the fact that it's a kayfun 4 clone. The problem will be 2 things. First is take the base completely apart. Under the nut for the 510 pin is a nut that holds the base to the juice adjustment threaded base. Make sure that is tight but still allows movement. Next will be the spring, stretch it a bit for a stronger connection. That should fix your reading issues. If the tank wiggles with the juice flow closed then that nut is loose causing bad ground.

As for the mini, use 30g kanthal not 28g. You don't say what your wrapping on but coil diameter makes a difference as well as how much wick is packed in. Too big a coil and/or too much wick can cut air flow. Place the coil too close to the air hole can also cut air flow.

Hemp unless you boil the heck out of it always tastes funny for half a tank or more. I'd use Japanese cotton or gram cellucotton(rayon) if you don't want that break in taste.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
ok I missed the fact that it's a kayfun 4 clone. The problem will be 2 things. First is take the base completely apart. Under the nut for the 510 pin is a nut that holds the base to the juice adjustment threaded base. Make sure that is tight but still allows movement. Next will be the spring, stretch it a bit for a stronger connection. That should fix your reading issues. If the tank wiggles with the juice flow closed then that nut is loose causing bad ground.

As for the mini, use 30g kanthal not 28g. You don't say what your wrapping on but coil diameter makes a difference as well as how much wick is packed in. Too big a coil and/or too much wick can cut air flow. Place the coil too close to the air hole can also cut air flow.

Hemp unless you boil the heck out of it always tastes funny for half a tank or more. I'd use Japanese cotton or gram cellucotton(rayon) if you don't want that break in taste.
thank you so very much I am heading off for my 4 th twelve hour shift but I will try your suggestions asap much lay appreciated

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Last night my Kayfun 4 / iStick 50w suddenly reported a coil short. I took the K4 apart and found the center contact screw not touching the air tube spring. The spring, as a result was loose and I could hear it shaking up and down when the K4 was assembled. I suspect that this is happening on many. Mine's a Tobecco clone.

Last edited:

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Last night my Kayfun 4 / iStick 50w suddenly reported a coil short. I took the K4 apart and found the center contact screw not touching the air tube. The spring, as a result was loose and I could hear it shaking up and down when the K4 was assembled. Not even stretching would make it touch. I suspect that this is happening on many. Mine's a Tobecco clone.

The problem? The center air tube had migrated upward, leaving half a dozen threads above where it protrudes out of the deck under the coil. The center air tube had shorted to one leg of the coil.

Anyone seen that happen? After the center tube threaded itself upward toward the coil the center contact screw would no longer thread into the center tube, leaving the screw turning in its insulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread