Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanrokz

Mar 30, 2015
TX
So, I've had my Atlantis for awhile now, and all of a sudden I'm getting an AWFUL chemically taste and little to no vapor production. I've emailed Aspire and they simply said it was a cleaning issue. I've done everything I know to do though!

I've thoroughly cleaned the tank and all parts, changed juices, changed coils (same on 3 different ones), everytime I change a coil I take many primer hits and let it sit for around 20 minutes, I've tried two different battery mods, and nothing seems to work!

It's not the mod because my Kanger works just fine on both. Please help me I can't figure out what's wrong...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So, I've had my Atlantis for awhile now, and all of a sudden I'm getting an AWFUL chemically taste and little to no vapor production. I've emailed Aspire and they simply said it was a cleaning issue. I've done everything I know to do though!

I've thoroughly cleaned the tank and all parts, changed juices, changed coils (same on 3 different ones), everytime I change a coil I take many primer hits and let it sit for around 20 minutes, I've tried two different battery mods, and nothing seems to work!

It's not the mod because my Kanger works just fine on both. Please help me I can't figure out what's wrong...

You have an Atlantis for a while; how long is a while?

Have you attempted to clean the coils or not?
Do you have any new coils?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Are you properly priming the head by dripping drops on top of wicking material in a new head until fully saturated?
Then fill tank & assemble to base then take a few unpowered primer puffs.
See a few bubles rise from wicking holes?
Are you restricting liquid flow by mis aligning the center tube or over tightening tank to base?
Authentic replacement heads verified via security code on package checked on aspires site?
Under or over powering them?
All seals / gaskets in place with no nicks or damage?
Have you cleaned & dried the air chamber in base underneath head?

Reactions: Susan~S

ryanrokz

Mar 30, 2015
TX
Edyle: Awhile as in about 2-3 months and just two weeks ago this problem arose.
Topwater Elvis: Yes, I have the new OCC coils. I used them before though and there was no problem. I have done all of those things short of what Retro said to sit in the liquid themselves. Cleaned everything including coils (5 day clean total to ensure dried). I have gone through two whole new packs directly from aspire's website so their original, one pack was .5 ohms and this current is .3 and all of them do the same thing!

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Based on the reduced vapor, it sounds like dry hits. Is this a new pack of coils? If so, are they cotton or ceramic? Might just be a dud batch. Are they authentic? If not, that's the likely culprit. The knockoff coils don't wick as well or produce as much air flow. Go to your local b&m and get a eleaf melo coil and an authentic Aspire cotton coil. They're interchangeable and will give good indication as to what the issue is. Lots of people have had better luck with the melo coils. Don't go thicker than an 85/15 vg/pg consistency, either. If you don't want pg in your juice, 3% distilled water added to max vg juice (1ml per 30) produces about an 85/15 thickness.

Reactions: Ggrhaulin

ryanrokz

Mar 30, 2015
TX
Based on the reduced vapor, it sounds like dry hits. Is this a new pack of coils? If so, are they cotton or ceramic? Might just be a dud batch. Are they authentic? If not, that's the likely culprit. The knockoff coils don't wick as well or produce as much air flow. Go to your local b&m and get a eleaf melo coil and an authentic Aspire cotton coil. They're interchangeable and will give good indication as to what the issue is. Lots of people have had better luck with the melo coils. Don't go thicker than an 85/15 vg/pg consistency, either. If you don't want pg in your juice, 3% distilled water added to max vg juice (1ml per 30) produces about an 85/15 thickness.

They aren't dry hits because it has no "burnt" taste, rather a more chemical taste; almost as if the metal from the coils is melting away. They are authentic coils, this has happened with two batches from Aspire themselves. Haven't tried the eleaf melo coils yet and I may do that. I use max VG (80vg/20pg) but always have and this is has never been a problem before. Could it possibly be the base went bad or something??

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
It's possible that some cleanser you used deposited some residue on the big, beasty o ring on the airflow control base. Break it all down, put all components except for the coil in some really hot tap water with a few drops of dawn dish soap. Use dawn... it really is the mildest stuff out there. Let it soak for an hour, then hand scrub it all with a clean washcloth. Then soak it all in hot, clean water. Another hour. Then rinse it all with hot, clean water, place it all on a paper towel, and let it air dry. It'll probably take an hour or so. That will eliminate the possibility of any of the components having some soret of deposit. Hate to say it, but the only way to test this is twofold... use a new coil at this point and a juice you haven't been using in the tank. If the taste is still there, it's one or more of your o rings. If not, try your juice again. If the funk comes back, your juice got contaminated or went bad. If not, life is good.

ryanrokz

Mar 30, 2015
TX
It's possible that some cleanser you used deposited some residue on the big, beasty o ring on the airflow control base. Break it all down, put all components except for the coil in some really hot tap water with a few drops of dawn dish soap. Use dawn... it really is the mildest stuff out there. Let it soak for an hour, then hand scrub it all with a clean washcloth. Then soak it all in hot, clean water. Another hour. Then rinse it all with hot, clean water, place it all on a paper towel, and let it air dry. It'll probably take an hour or so. That will eliminate the possibility of any of the components having some soret of deposit. Hate to say it, but the only way to test this is twofold... use a new coil at this point and a juice you haven't been using in the tank. If the taste is still there, it's one or more of your o rings. If not, try your juice again. If the funk comes back, your juice got contaminated or went bad. If not, life is good.

I will try this and then post back the results. The juice I'm trying to use is the same as in my Kanger which works perfectly so it is not contaminated juice. Also, when I deep cleaned it before I did not use cleaner, but vodka instead as I read that was the best thing to use for clearomizers. Also, the coils aren't difficult to screw in, but I thought maybe a short too. How could that be from EVERY coil though?
EDIT: I forgot to mention that the coils read fine on an ohm reader.

Noticed you said the .5 ohm coils worked and you're only having trouble with the new .3 ohm coils? I believe the .3 ohm coils are designed for the Atlantis V2 which has better airflow. You haven't said if you're running a mech or a regulated device but if you are, running a mech, a fresh battery is firing that coil at almost 60 watts and you are most likely getting burnt hits. Try out a .5 coil if you have an old one kicking around

Reactions: edyle

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Edyle: Awhile as in about 2-3 months and just two weeks ago this problem arose.
Topwater Elvis: Yes, I have the new OCC coils. I used them before though and there was no problem. I have done all of those things short of what Retro said to sit in the liquid themselves. Cleaned everything including coils (5 day clean total to ensure dried). I have gone through two whole new packs directly from aspire's website so their original, one pack was .5 ohms and this current is .3 and all of them do the same thing!

That's a big jump!
A 0.5 ohm coil takes 32 watts at 4 volts.
A 0.3 ohm coil takes 53 watts at 4 volts.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I'm curious what you find out. I'm done with my Atlantis, and actually I'm probably done with Aspire.

After a recent cleaning of my Atlantis, I noticed a touch of rust (yes- rust!) on the outside of the collar thingy (where the airholes are). Aggravated and not thinking it through, I cleaned it up again and scrubbed like hell to get the rust off.

Since then, multiple cleanings, and forcing myself to vape as much as I can stand through it, I cannot get rid of this nasty taste - and I know it's rust, it's just inside somewhere I can't get to.

kartoffelfaust

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
USA
I'm curious what you find out. I'm done with my Atlantis, and actually I'm probably done with Aspire.

After a recent cleaning of my Atlantis, I noticed a touch of rust (yes- rust!) on the outside of the collar thingy (where the airholes are). Aggravated and not thinking it through, I cleaned it up again and scrubbed like hell to get the rust off.

Since then, multiple cleanings, and forcing myself to vape as much as I can stand through it, I cannot get rid of this nasty taste - and I know it's rust, it's just inside somewhere I can't get to.

Interesting - I didn't think about that. There really is no good way to clean the base and air inlets. Once a week, I rinse mine in hot tap water, using a higher pressure sprayer in the sink while rotating the airflow to the various settings, then blast compressed air through it at 90psi. I use an air compressor to dry parts after washing.

I wonder if the center pin became dislodged and is making dodgy contact with the coil, possibly arcing?

Also, switching to even lower resistance could be a surprise if your not used to that. As was mentioned earlier, that's a huge bump in wattage! Singe the wicking once and the coil is fried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread