Clapton coil attempt, what's the advantage here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
The advantage is that you get to show off your build on the forums or to your vaping pals and get some validation of self worth or something.

For me personally the 'fancy' coil builds are not in any way better than a standard build. It all boils down (pun intended) to surface area in contact with the wick, so your 3 wraps of clapton coil would equate to say 8 wraps (a guess) of 28 AWG in terms of contact area.
The twisted coils are good for increasing the contact area whilst keeping the 'ramp up' time low, but I prefer the vape from lower gauge single strand coils.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
So what's the deal with the clapton? I tried to make one, it's not as easy as it looks, that's for sure.

I got 28 wrapped with 32, 3 wraps on 2.4mm got me to 0.9ohms on my dna. Big beefy coil, but what's the advantage? Mainly in drippers?
For me, the Clapton vape is a beast. It generally blows away a single wire coil setup. The double wire wrapped with a single thinner wire holds a ton of juice with the massive amount of surface area it affords. The density of the vapor is much thicker for me and the flavor is usually much more intense.

EU6EN3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2013
red dot
i tried macro coil, mirco coil, parallel coil, twisted coil and clapton coil, heres my finding in a controlled duo build in 15 watts mod.
( taste as it varies in diff tank used) scale 1- 10 for Vape produce, 1 - 10 from cool to hot, 1 - 10 taste
1) macro & micro coil more or less the same just the diameter of the coil. (easy to make n maintainace, decent vape)
- coil 'glow' fast, vape produce 5, taste 5-6, 4-5 cool vape
2) paralled coil (need to change cotton very often as it get burn easily) not recommended for mint or menthol juice as the juice get too 'cold' due to the fast heat. it cover the actual taste
- coil 'glow' damn fast, vape produce 6-8, taste 7, 6-8 warm vape
3) twisted coil (falls between parallel and clapton) much easier to make than clapton and better than paralled as it produce much slower glow.
- coil 'glow' slower than (1) & (2), thick vape, n denser taste compared to parallel. warm vape 6-8.
4) clapton (hard to make but worth it)
- coil 'glow' much slower than the above but produce damn lot of heat thus making the vape more warmer and denser. Vape produce is 6-8, taste 6-8, 7-9 nice warm to hot vape. cotton doesnt get burn easily as it glow slowly.

just my 1cent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread