Nautilus Mini & high VG juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Badger

Apr 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hi, been off cigarettes for a week now but I have been attempting to vape for about a year. Now that I'm only vaping it's time to ask some questions from actual users vs. the spacey kid at the store I go to.

I bought a Kanger Evod kit to start. The tanks were awful and I upgraded them. But they still leaked and spit boiling vape juice in my mouth, which is pretty gross. Last weekend I bought a Nautilus Mini. Right away I cooked the (BCV) coil because I didn't know you had to let the coil sit for awhile before use. OK, got it. That coil still worked for awhile but after a few days the vape tasted burned. I was using Artisan Vapor Co Salted Caramel juice, which is pretty viscous (there is no spec on their page for the VG/PG ratio but I suspect it's higher in VG). I ordered their Ember Preserve juice and got it the other day. It's 70/30 VG/PG and really thick. I put some in the Mini and it really doesn't work very well. I got a big *glorp* sound followed by a blob of hot goo in my mouth. The coil was flooded. I cleaned it out and put in some other juice I had (VG ratio unknown) which is much less viscous and it's working a lot better. I am still using the Kanger Evod batteries.

So long story short how do I use high-VG juice in this thing, and do I need a battery with higher voltage? The Kanger is 3.7V while the Aspire VV+ is 4.2V. I am using the 1.8ohm coils.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Thin it with a bit of distilled water. Sounds like max VG to me. Use 1 ml of distilled water per 15 ml of juice. Should give you a thinner cosistency approximating a 60vg/40pg juice. Should work great, just make sure to shake it up after mixing, thenlet it sit for 10 minutes to settle in the bottle. Then fill your tank as normal. Be careful, it's going to be noticably runnier.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Two comments; choose to ignore or investigate further.

1. High VG is not perfect for the Mini Nautilus, but just about usable. You can dilute it a little, or get used to sucking in extra liquid without firing the button. I often have to do it, and cover up the air hole almost closed with a finger over it. You will get used to knowing when it's getting a little dry inside the coil.

2. 3.7 volts is not really enough to get the best out of this type of coil/atomizer/tank. Some folk say "oh, but I use 3.7v on my iStick and it works fine", but over 4.1v+ (preferably over 10w) is where it's at really. (and the 20w iStick is more than what it says on the display too)

Flooding on low power is almost inevitable. You might find VG helps this problem in a way...

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Strange problems with the Evod. I have bought over 10 Evod clones of at least 3 types lately and had no problems with any of them other than the threading being marginal on one brand/type of Evod clone.

Are you puffing hard fast and sharp? This will cause problems with flooding and such. A slower steady draw works best on most devices.

I have been using the Aspire Nautillus (bigger tank) for 2 week now and have encountered similar problems. I too have found that if you crank up the voltage a bit, that seem to help a lot. I also find that playing around with the air flow setting helps a lot, too. I haven't tried diluting at this point (I will definitely consider that from now on as needed, THANKS!), but since turning up the voltage I haven't had any problems. I actually like the Nautiluss as LOT now! Good luck!

Nibs91

Verified Member
Nov 27, 2014
Ohio
Strange problems with the Evod. I have bought over 10 Evod clones of at least 3 types lately and had no problems with any of them other than the threading being marginal on one brand/type of Evod clone.

Are you puffing hard fast and sharp? This will cause problems with flooding and such. A slower steady draw works best on most devices.

This. I had to learn how to properly inhale, as this wasn't the same as a cig. I was pulling wayy too hard and fast, getting juice in my mouth, and flooding the mini. Just let it flow, and after you let go of the button inhale a bit more to clear your tip. I got myself a pyrex tip and I prefer it a lot over the OEM tip.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Yes, thin with water. I would recommend no higher than 60vg/40pg for just about any bottom feeder. If your tank floods the best way to clear it is to remove the tank and blow through the drip tip with a paper towel over the bottom of the clearo.

Welcome to the forums. You are in the right place. You never have to smoke another cigarette again.

Flying Badger

Apr 26, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Ended up buying a new battery today to go with the Mini tank. It's a Vision Spinner II and for now I'm running it at 3.8V. At 4.3V I get a burnt taste; lots more vapor, but blech. Maybe I need to replace the coil as it's the same one from running it on the weak Kanger battery.

Thanks, Capt.Shay! I won't claim I'll never smoke a cigarette again, but this is definitely better. I am already breathing better and I don't smell like a dirty ashtray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread