3,452 Parents and Grandparents urge President Obama to protect children from all tobacco products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Take a good drag off of a cig and blow it thru a napkin, multiply that by thousands and you have what goes into a smokers lungs each year. If you have ever cleaned your car windows you know that it is not easy to remove.... If nothing else it ;plugs up your lungs. I hope you are not being serious in your position on cigs not being harmful.

I didn't mean to imply cigarettes aren't harmful, only that the "smoker's lungs " we've all seen are not what they are claimed to be.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
It does appear that there is dispute on the fatal dosage of nicotine. there is no dispute that an overdose can likely be fatal.
I do stand by my thought that vaping hardware and wetare sales to minors should be banned.

Underage bans on vape stuff is geared toward teenagers, who aren't likely to drink a bottle of the stuff. And it's just going to make them smoke instead, since vape bans will likely mean cigarettes are easier to get than vape supplies.

Even if a toddler did walk into a vape shop and try to buy some ejuice, no vendor would sell it to them. So this argument is silly.

All this paranoia about toddlers being poisoned by ejuice is being used to justify bans, when simple childproof caps and responsible parenting are the only things that can help prevent little ones being poisoned.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Underage bans on vape stuff is geared toward teenagers, who aren't likely to drink a bottle of the stuff. And it's just going to make them smoke instead, since vape bans will likely mean cigarettes are easier to get than vape supplies.

Even if a toddler did walk into a vape shop and try to buy some ejuice, no vendor would sell it to them. So this argument is silly.

All this paranoia about toddlers being poisoned by ejuice is being used to justify bans, when simple childproof caps and responsible parenting are the only things that can help prevent little ones being poisoned.

I was a stay at home mom for my son's entire childhood. If anyone asked me why, I'd point to him. "He's my job. I can't do two jobs at one time." Parents nowadays don't seem to get that at all. It's NECESSARY to be PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR. Child-resistant (nothing is child-PROOF!) caps are really for the benefit of idiot babysitters who can't be bothered to actually *babysit* -- or, I guess, idiot parents who can't be bothered to actually PARENT.

I understand poverty very well; we lived it for a long, long time, and just now starting to emerge just a little. But some things are more important than money -- isn't that what we're all screaming at BT, BP, and BG?

Andria

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere

Do we want to turn teens loose with subohm setups with 100+ watt mods? And I do not care what anyone says vaping is not safer than not vaping. It is safer than smoking but not totally safe.

Reactions: stevegmu

Tache

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
BC Canada
That might actually be useful knowledge... if anyone in America had any idea what a kg is or how a human's body weight translates to kg. Try pounds... that's what we all know. Speaking in metric helps no one -- unless you're discussing ejuice bottles. :)

Andria

Hey Andria!

Just to make it easier, one kilogram equals 2.2045 pounds. So at the grocery store, if I want about a pound of ground beef, I make sure to grab a package that shows at least 500 grams (or half a kilogram [a kg = 1,000 grams]).

I'm old enough that the majority of my pre-secondary schooling was using the "imperial" system, but I loved science class and we always used the metric system for our lab work.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hey Andria!

Just to make it easier, one kilogram equals 2.2045 pounds. So at the grocery store, if I want about a pound of ground beef, I make sure to grab a package that shows at least 500 grams (or half a kilogram [a kg = 1,000 grams]).

I'm old enough that the majority of my pre-secondary schooling was using the "imperial" system, but I loved science class and we always used the metric system for our lab work.

I've had ZERO experience or knowledge of anything metric, until I started vaping. Now I can visualize 22mm, and compare other sizes to that visualization; with 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, or 120ml, I can visualize it, but I still have to run to the chart I copied and attached to the wall by my "vape crap" area (one of my kitchen counters), to see how many oz it translates to. With temps, the only thing metric I know is freezing or boiling; everything in between is a great unknown. Solid weights are equally unknown to me. As for distances... ???????????

;)
Andria

ETA: actually I do have one very small exposure to metric liquids... I always drank a lot of soda, growing up, and a long time back, they started putting soda into 2 liter bottles, and some 1 liter bottles, so I learned that a liter is roughly equivalent (just a bit more) to a quart; so a half-liter (a quantity of wine I used to consume quite often, back in the day), roughly a pint.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Do we want to turn teens loose with subohm setups with 100+ watt mods? And I do not care what anyone says vaping is not safer than not vaping. It is safer than smoking but not totally safe.

A simple mechanical mod and rda can be made/pieced together fairly easily, pg and vg can be sourced from non-vape related stores, flavoring can be purchased at the grocery store. The only things an underage sales ban could possibly restrict are the nicotine(maybe) and the availability of advanced/regulated/safer gear.

Also, now it's the high wattage vaping that's an issue? What happened to the nicotine?

Of course not vaping is "safer" than vaping, but that's somewhat meaningless. Is skateboarding safe? How about driving, bicycling, drinking soda, drinking coffee, red bull, ritalin, adderall? You are free to believe whatever you like, but when you try to turn that belief into law, there had better be something behind it stronger than a feeling.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
1-13 mg per kilogram of weight is the median lethal dosage of nicotine. So a 15 ml bottle. With a nic strength of 24 mg/ml would be likely be fatal to someone weighing around 28 kg and that is at the 13 mg/kg or high end of the level. At .mid level of 6 mg/kg it is 60 kg.
if your using the old figures. actual observed results show tolerances are 10 to 100 times higher
and survivable. remember these dose's have to get into the blood stream.unless absorbed thru
tissue the liver would metabolize 70% of the dose.
mike

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
[...]
Of course not vaping is "safer" than vaping, but that's somewhat meaningless. Is skateboarding safe? How about driving, bicycling, drinking soda, drinking coffee, red bull, ritalin, adderall? You are free to believe whatever you like, but when you try to turn that belief into law, there had better be something behind it stronger than a feeling.

There's a nice document that can explain the low interest / support of actual parents re electronic and classic cigarettes over-regulations.

It's called "Youth Smoking Survey 2012 - 2013 - Supplementary Tables" and can be found on the Health Canada government site Welcome to the Health Canada Web site | Bienvenue au site Web de Santé Canada

It has figures for lots of substances, many of them unfashionable on ECF.

My conclusion from there is that tobacco would be indeed one of the least concerns of contemporary parents. It takes decades to actually kill (if ever), you cannot really overdose on it, and it does not impair reasoning / control (like in DUI or worse). And if it's becoming habit, it's pretty easy for parents to catch it.

Bringing in the picture a cigalike, it would be the least potentially harmful thing there.

No wonder ALA wasn't able to get any significant number of signatures on their petition.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
No. Society at large doesn't want to see kids smoking or vaping...
Since you seemed to have missed the question the first time, I'll repost it, with bold emphasis on the actual question.

i know people, including myself, who have been smoking regularly since I was 16 and I have to say, wouldn't people rather kids vape instead of smoking?

Reactions: nicnik

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Most people don't see the difference between smoking or vaping. Society at large doesn't want to see kids smoking or emulating smoking. If you have difficulty with basic comprehension, I advise you ignore my posts...
If most people are too ignorant to see the difference, the answer is not to accept their ignorance, it is to educate as many as possible.

If you don't believe that there are some teens who will choose smoking OR vaping, I advise you never procreate. For those who will choose one or the other, I will continue to advocate for the less(nearly 100%) harmful alternative. If you choose not to, I advise you ignore the Media and General News, and Legislation sub forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread