Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
thumbs_up_smiley.gif

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
Thanks guys! :) Things are in the works, so to speak........

Capt., that's high praise, coming from a man of your talent and skill. High praise, indeed. :toast:

Steamer, the thing I'm running into on the gdna/peko deal is, it looks to me like the sides are not flat. More of a curved, oval type shape.... That, without a cnc, would be hard to do without a lot of hand shaping....

I can only imagine how many hours it would take to get that right with metal...

Mundy, that sig of yours is awesome. :D

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
That brass bad boy is incredible (ya brass is my 2nd fav. metal, if that was any mystery ;))...I can handle the lure of the aluminum's but I think you've found my breaking point. That must have some serious nice heft to it though.

I'd love to make one of those out of solid copper but the machining would be an absolute nightmare...you could probably do it out of tellurium copper but $$$?

Crazy nice work CC, what really kills me is I have the basically the same toys as you and...whatever, brass has lead in it you know? :laugh:

TheTurk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2014
New jersey
Gotta pick up some brass rod to make the button... Other than that, it's basically done. Pics are not doing this one justice. It is super bright and shiny in person...

hOG737E.jpg

Ma3nNBN.jpg

GOvBRWv.jpg

What do you guys think of the bead blasted finish on the 6061?

YZ46Hiq.jpg

1wG7ARD.jpg

7Zr7m2n.jpg

I like the bead blasted alu. Would be my first choice
Did you change the dimensions with the brass one or same specs? You said you were gonna give them some weight loss treatment [emoji106]

Also capt. Steve love and admire your work but you need to get in line i saw it first [emoji39]

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
That brass bad boy is incredible (ya brass is my 2nd fav. metal, if that was any mystery ;))...I can handle the lure of the aluminum's but I think you've found my breaking point. That must have some serious nice heft to it though. She's all there for sure...

I'd love to make one of those out of solid copper but the machining would be an absolute nightmare...you could probably do it out of tellurium copper but $$$? I definitely wanna do one in copper. Super fast speeds and feeds, right??? :D

Crazy nice work CC, what really kills me is I have the basically the same toys as you and...whatever, brass has lead in it you know? :laugh: Mill? Basically the same. Lathe? Arguably, yours is a bit better than mine. Get to it!!! Oh, and my brass??? It has no lead..... I use only the finest, lead free brass, mined from the mountains of .......... ok,.......you got me, my brass may or may not have lead in it. But it is conflict free, free range, totally organic brass..... :lol:

I like the bead blasted alu. Would be my first choice
Did you change the dimensions with the brass one or same specs? You said you were gonna give them some weight loss treatment [emoji106] Same specs.... I have promised Asdaq that the next brass one will be a slimmer, trimmer, more lightweight version. :)

Also capt. Steve love and admire your work but you need to get in line i saw it first [emoji39]

Reactions: Quigsworth

ayopassthat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2014
New York, New York, USA
custom-classic, I love the bead blasted aluminum. I think a polished/plated atty would look great on there

Here's something I have been working on. The box was originally going to be for a dual 18650. I used a router and jig for the pocket. The wood is curly maple finished with boiled linseed oil and dewaxed shellac. My next will be more compact and hand friendly

9fw0X01.jpg

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Gotta pick up some brass rod to make the button... Other than that, it's basically done. Pics are not doing this one justice. It is super bright and shiny in person...

hOG737E.jpg

Ma3nNBN.jpg

GOvBRWv.jpg

Great work CC,:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: now you wouldn't want to drop that on your foot coming out of the bathroom first thing in the morning :danger:

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
Thanks, you guys are awesome! :)

Penguiness, I'll be sure and keep y'all in the loop. ;)

Ayo, that's a killer squonk box you got there. :)

Studio, your mods are amazing. I can't even imagine what it took to do some of the things you've done...

I am humbled.... :toast: And yes, that sucker is all there, for sure... :D

Reactions: penguiness

Genosmate

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
South Africa

hOG737E.jpg

Ma3nNBN.jpg

GOvBRWv.jpg

YZ46Hiq.jpg

1wG7ARD.jpg

7Zr7m2n.jpg
CC.The first time I became interested in making a mod was when I saw a pic of a Pdib and wanted to make one in metal,I had no machines at the time.
I've got the machines now,but the ability of the machines far outweigh my own,these mods are just great.
Brilliant job.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
wow cc that brass looks sick, that could def qualify as a weapon man :D

I just finished up a set of buttons on a woody, figured I'd post a few pics of how I do my flush buttons

20150427_213018_zpshi1zaqxn.jpg
Thanks for the pics turbo, I especially like your use of toothpaste to affix the tactiles, gotta love that minty fresh smell vs epoxy :)

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
I must say after using the DNA-40 for a while now I've come to realize two things.

A) it burns through batteries like there's no tomorrow
B) I do see a few benefits over the mech mods in that you have the ability to "fine tune" your vape and find the sweet spot of your liquid. With duals metered at 0.35 I get a great vape at 29W but if I bump it up to 31.5W I get a stellar vape. I guess this ability to find the sweet spot is an arguable benefit. However you sacrifice battery life because at that wattage my batteries drain 20-30% faster at least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread