Status
Not open for further replies.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Does anyone have a recommended temp and joule setting for a .09 build?

I am running 28Ga Ni200 at 25j TP at 450 F my coil is 4.5 mm ID and the resistance is 0.085 ohms. Which at the ID I am using is about 4 turns.

The only problem I have with it is I use juice at a very surprisingly high rate in my Lemo 2 and I have to be a little careful not to chain vape or I'll get Nic-buzzed. The taste is excellent and it generates plenty of clouds. However it may be a little cool for you but I am accustom to cool vapes.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
I am running 28Ga Ni200 at 25j TP at 450 F my coil is 4.5 mm ID and the resistance is 0.085 ohms. Which at the ID I am using is about 4 turns.

The only problem I have with it is I use juice at a very surprisingly high rate in my Lemo 2 and I have to be a little careful not to chain vape or I'll get Nic-buzzed. The taste is excellent and it generates plenty of clouds. However it may be a little cool for you but I am accustom to cool vapes.
Wow 4.5 i.d huh? its so weird messing with the temp control, everthing seems bass ackwards. :blink:

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well just for the heck of it I let it sit and checked it again. .09 exactly and the vape is better then .089 because that set it at .08. Close enough for govt work. Amazing what 1/100 makes on these things. I'm not really sure if your reading is .089 and it shows .08 on the main screen if that is what it sets it to or it uses the .089. Seemed like it made a diff.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Does anyone have a recommended temp and joule setting for a .09 build?

Thats where I have found my sweet spot - .09. I run 28g 2.5 and set 20j - 22j 390 to 410 (the flux depends o the juice I'm running and tank. The Lemo Drop seems more warm "naturally" to me so I run it a bit lower (20j 390) - my Kangers (22j 410). All my tanks (5 Kanger subtank mini and 2 Lemo Drops all at .09).

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com

What is your nicotine mg for your ejuice? Since using the SubOhm stuff I now only use 3mg or else I get the Nic-Buzz too pretty quickly. And yes, my Lemo 2 does suck the juice right out of the atty.

Reactions: HolmanGT

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Wow 4.5 i.d huh? its so weird messing with the temp control, everthing seems bass ackwards. :blink:

Well just remember that when you set Temperature you are only setting a limit that the SX will allow the coil to reach and no higher. The Joules are the real force behind the amount of vapor and the warmth you experience. Actually if your coil and wick are working well you will probably never hit the Temperature limit (in my case 450 F) unless you go to something like 50J.

As far as my mammoth coil ID my intent was to see if I could build a coil that would always keep up with the wicking demands I made of it. Well so far after about a week my subjective opinion is "Bigger is better" and my opinion is based on the amount of juice this configuration goes thru not to mention the large number of bubbles I see coming up from the juice channels in the Lemo 2. The only shortcoming is that the Lemo 2 is a 3.8 ml tank so I find myself filling it 2 to 3 times a day (from when I get up in the AM until I go to bed just before hitting AM again ;) ).

If you feel wild and crazy give the large diameter a try I think it will surprise you how well it works. The only short coming for you may be that it does produce a cool vape.There is just so much juice to coil surface area that even Steam-Engine proclaims it will produce a cool vape. Ok maybe a little warmth but not much.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
What is your nicotine mg for your ejuice? Since using the SubOhm stuff I now only use 3mg or else I get the Nic-Buzz too pretty quickly. And yes, my Lemo 2 does suck the juice right out of the atty.

Jim,

I am embarrass to tell you. I use 50/50 @ 24mg and yes I know now that I have managed to get my Lemo 2 to work like a dual coil dripper I should get some lower Nic juice. But I have so much 24 mg stashed I hate to buy any more. :facepalm:

Reactions: JimScotty0

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Thank you so much Holman as you made the click in my brain to understand the temp feature. You just gave me a new direction to try and I will report back.

Oh wow!

PapaPro,

Well I am glad I helped you even if I am not sure how. One thing I do know is that when first starting with Temperature Control Mods it can be overwhelming and more often than not folks seem to over think the setup. And we won't even get into using coils for the first time in the range of 0.05 to 0.15. The whole thing kind of goes against the grain of everything you/we have become accustom to with Kanthal.

:toast:

Reactions: jazzvaper

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
Thats where I have found my sweet spot - .09.... All my tanks (5 Kanger subtank mini and 2 Lemo Drops all at .09).

Thats not really your "sweet spot", you are just "fooling" the device and found your sweet spot there. As Yihi recommends the 0.065 build, that is where the unit will be the MOST accurate. Will 0.09 (or 0.15 for that matter work)...YES, but the unit will not be as accurate as if it was @ 0.065. ie., your temp and joules will be further off using a 0.015 Kanger OCC then a 0.9 RBA build and even further then the true 0.065 build.

I found in both the STM and Lemo2, 4.5 wraps -- 28G -- 3.0mm spaced and I am between 0.065-0.068 on both. Joules setting is irrelevant as it hits my 440 temp setting and throttles there (quicker pulses at higher joules). And I find the best flavor, no metal taste and least fluctuation from my set temp with this. Whatever your wire choice is, shoot for that 0.065 #. There's a reason Yihi recommends it. You'll see the difference.

Reactions: JimScotty0

terrapinvaption

May 4, 2014
Nj
given this, I do not understand why I need to be at 36j, 520f to get clouds from the kanger ni200 coils. at like 22j, 420f it is nothing. it is kicking it to 220f. of course those are .12. would someone please explain what I am doing wrong?

I know this goes against everything were suppose to do with the sx but I had the same problem with my subtank coils doing this.
Get the coil hot and let it cool a bit till it reaches 0.15 ohms. Then lock that ohm reading in.

Works flawlessly now at lower settings and no burning.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Vlad,

I am not sure why I replied the way I did maybe just to cut Evolv a little slack. I agree with you that they most likely did it because of complaints and possible because their Algorithm didn't work as smoothly as they had hoped.
they did it because it works better... and all of we early adopters were the secret beta testers.

PapaPro

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2015
London
PapaPro,

Well I am glad I helped you even if I am not sure how. One thing I do know is that when first starting with Temperature Control Mods it can be overwhelming and more often than not folks seem to over think the setup. And we won't even get into using coils for the first time in the range of 0.05 to 0.15. The whole thing kind of goes against the grain of everything you/we have become accustom to with Kanthal.

:toast:
Hehe, I have been using 300f. Sometimes it was warm and then fade off quite fast. So I tried 420. I am using dark juice (I love it) and this is the only one keeping me off the smokes. So I really want my set-up to be consistant. Anyway, at 420f I gunk my coils fast but it tastes so nice. I mean 2ml and they are done. So understanding what was going on was my problem. Until now :)

So, you explained how using joules to get a warm vape and not temp is the way to go. I did not know this. I think this is the key to understanding how to set-up our M class's. And a good clean coil. What you did was make me see that I needed to find the gunk temp of my juice first, only then do you play with the Js. Sure everyone said temp first and then J. But I did not understand fully that relationship until now. Cheers mate!

One thing I can report back is my Kayfun V4 is working perfect!!! I have six decks and will hammer out builds over the next week to see what is best. But I have my settings working well. I have gone to 320f and 27j and it is perfect on a 0.89 coil. Hard Ni200 defo workes better for me than the soft stuff. I think that is due to better connectivity. Spacing the coils using streaching also works perfect on the hard wire. I really am getting my head around all this and think I am nearly on top of this tech.

Thank you all so much. You honestly have been stars. Take care and have a wonderful vape. London sends some good energy :)

Last edited:

Braddahbill

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2012
Hawaii
I just rebuilt the lemo and am getting a .11 I'm not sure if it's not wicking well enough to keep up? Have to crank up everything to get anything close to satisfying and then it drops off after a few pulls.

I think that sentence is the key to the answer you are looking for.

I was vaping on my Lemo 2 - 0.11Ω - 24J - 420º and it was the nice warm enjoyable vape I have been getting with all my builds. I was near the end of my tank with e-juice and wanted to change flavors. I decided to change things up and build a 0.08Ω coil and change e-juice. After building and wicking the coil and leaving the other settings at 24J - 420º the first few pulls were great then it started to drop off to a weak cool vape. After vaping for awhile, and kept saying to myself that I had done everything correct, I knew something was wrong and drained what e-juice I could and opened up the tank and took a really close look at the wick. One side of the wick seemed thinner and was a little off the build deck so I put another wick in, re-primed the coil with e-juice, put everything back together, and was back to vape I was used to. The only thing I changed was the wick.

Wicking is a very important but often overlooked of TC when trouble shooting. If you hit the fire button and you go up to your set temp and it hovers there but your vape is weak and too cool, the SX is doing its job by sensing the coil is not getting enough e-juice and throttling back and staying at your set temp. I believe wicking is an art that can't be rushed. I will put a link below and hope that helps, I do mine this way but I don't comb the wick as much as was done in this video and I like to have a little more touching the deck. I think the wicking part is about 20 minutes in.

jbok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2014
Virginia
Thats where I have found my sweet spot - .09. I run 28g 2.5 and set 20j - 22j 390 to 410 (the flux depends o the juice I'm running and tank. The Lemo Drop seems more warm "naturally" to me so I run it a bit lower (20j 390) - my Kangers (22j 410). All my tanks (5 Kanger subtank mini and 2 Lemo Drops all at .09).
lol..yeah im using a Lemo Drop as well and I cant tell if im getting dry hits with it at 420f 25j but it has an odd taste that is not always there. I did run the tank completely dry at that setting without a single dry hit, so I am a little confused at what that's all about. Ill give your setting a try and see how it turns out..Thanks!

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot oh I get it now,
My fave is 18-22.5J 410degrees. I do break the coil in slowly at lower temp and joules but once I get it broke in thats what I use. The Joules just depends on my mood if I want it a little hotter or not also if I kind of chain vape I turn up the joules because as the resistance of the coil raises it puts out a little less vapor turning up the J takes care of that. Thats just me after 4 days of the same coil. I have a new one in now right at .09 and that is what I am planning for it.

Braddahbill

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2012
Hawaii
Yes, they are spaced. I think I'm having issues with the connections. When I pair it, it pairs at .11 then I I'll try again in q bit and it's all over the place. I believe I'm just having issues building on the Lemo. I'm also building around a 3mm bit. Just trial and error I suppose! Thanks for the tips.

You may want to make sure the screw on the bottom side of the COIL STAND is tight. It may be a little hard to separate the coil stand from the atomizer base, when I checked mine it was a little loose.

Lemo 2 Diagram.png

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
the way i see vaping; is everyoines "sweet spot" is where they like it. I like my lemo with a 26g 0.8 ohm build around a 3mm bit- running it at 45j and 440degrees.

yihi "recommends" 0.65 as its peak performance. as per what they say. they also give a parameter of 0.05-0.3, if someone is happy at a different Rt that is there sweet spot..
the modde/board maker may say they recommend "X' for what they call "optimum performance" but i started smoking; because, i was a rebelious teen. I started vaping; because i was a rebelious adult. i guess i'm still rebelious , because i like my lamo better this way; rather than the way they recommend it. i do like my mako with a dual coil 28g at 0.7...thats close?

Reactions: Vlad1

JimScotty0

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Garden Grove, CA, USA
www.facebook.com
the way i see vaping; is everyoines "sweet spot" is where they like it. I like my lemo with a 26g 0.8 ohm build around a 3mm bit- running it at 45j and 440degrees.

yihi "recommends" 0.65 as its peak performance. as per what they say. they also give a parameter of 0.05-0.3, if someone is happy at a different Rt that is there sweet spot..
the modde/board maker may say they recommend "X' for what they call "optimum performance" but i started smoking; because, i was a rebelious teen. I started vaping; because i was a rebelious adult. i guess i'm still rebelious , because i like my lamo better this way; rather than the way they recommend it. i do like my mako with a dual coil 28g at 0.7...thats close?
Fir3b1rd, like the saying goes... "Whatever floats your boat!" :toast:

Reactions: Vlad1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread