Play the market contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac63

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2014
I don't understand why somebody needs an "excuse" to play by the rules of a contest a very generous vendor has provided? There are guesses that are 2-4 cents more than a previous guess so apparently you have a problem with only one cent "price is right" guesses.

FYI no "sniper" has won this contest before and it has not given any unfair advantage. Ending entries on Wednesday would be the same thing, nobody knows what the closing price will be it's completely random. That's what makes this contest fun. OK Slowone2, since we cannot guess the same price as was already guessed, and according to you we shouldn't guess once cent more than a previous guess, what is an acceptable amount to guess more? Should we be required to search for weekly guesses and guess in between? 5 cents more? What would satisfy you?

Thank you for the contest and your generosity P0P! :)

A sniper did win a few weeks ago.

I didn't point it out then or any of the other 'price is right' shots that have been fired. Wouldn't have done anything except for what is happening now - a lot of bickering and people getting .... hurt on the internet. I may agree or disagree with some of the above comments but going to stay out of the main battle for now (not counting this post).

There probably have been some accidental snipes but there have also been some that are completely intentional - there are some that have shown a history of using the strategy.

In the end the thread/contest is run by P0P and he has come up with a fun contest that is different from all the others along with giving really great prizes. So I just follow his rules and try to have fun with it (and I've also had the pleasure and luck to win at the same time).

Thank you very much P0P!

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
It would be easy to create a "buffer zone" if every guess had to end in a zero. $1.50, $1.70, $2,359.90, $428.60. This way everyone has a dime chance at the very least in their picks, and the first person to use that number would win over anyone else who would also choose that same pick. I haven't counted but I'm guessing there is between 20 and 30 playing, so someone with a pick would only have to scroll at most 2 pages to see if the number they want is taken.

If a zero or a 5 is the last digit in a guess, then the "buffer zone" is cut to a nickle at the very least. Just a thought.

Slowone2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Virginia
Greenleaf I'm sorry I offended you. As far as having to search what others bid, it is only a couple pages to look through and I'm willing to bet most look through anyway. I'm just thinking of ways to make it fair for everyone. Maybe Pop will just leave it as it is and the smarter of us will all wait until the last seconds to post our bids. I'm not looking to start a war here so this will be my last post on the subject... Again I'm sorry to all I have offended.

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
It would be easy to create a "buffer zone" if every guess had to end in a zero. $1.50, $1.70, $2,359.90, $428.60. This way everyone has a dime chance at the very least in their picks, and the first person to use that number would win over anyone else who would also choose that same pick. I haven't counted but I'm guessing there is between 20 and 30 playing, so someone with a pick would only have to scroll at most 2 pages to see if the number they want is taken.

If a zero or a 5 is the last digit in a guess, then the "buffer zone" is cut to a nickle at the very least. Just a thought.

I like the five or ten cent thing, and if two people post the same amount, then the first person who posted it wins. :)

I usually post on Monday or Tuesday, if Monday was a busy day, and I never paid attention to what amounts were posted. I don't even remember what amount I posted. I do read the thread every day, but have no idea whether or not anyone was close to my amounts.

thehangdude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
How about just closest..higher or lower..who cares if it's just 1 cent...
I think this is a good idea. The closest number higher or lower is better than closest without going over. This would lower the advantage of snipes.

Also if the closing number is the same distance to two guesses, first guess wins.
Example:
Member A guesses $1.02
Then member B guesses $1.00
Closing is $1.01 so first one (member A) wins.

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
Good morning members
having coffee and reading some post's also had a great weekend with Krystal's mom. I am hoping Krystal,Devon and the baby will up to visit soon her spirit is high sending prayer's to Krystal and the family (sip time!) :)

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
I think ending the entries on wen's will leave a whole day of trading (Thursday) allowing a much larger swing in numbers whether it being up or down also holding the source back could help maybe giving me a choice of using a source with spot being added (just thinking) sip!

i do not want to police this tread please! i cant handle that:ohmy: :cry:

Last edited:

_JB_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2014
Michigan
This contest unlike most others here at ECF requires the use of skill along with luck. I think any guess that falls within the rules of the contest should be deemed fair. I believe that ending the contest on Wednesday will take a bit away from the skill needed and add to the luck side of things making it more fun for all in the long run. I also believe that once you have won this contest you should be done and no longer be allowed to win.

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
  1. NEW RULES! as of 4/27/15
2. Bidding end's on WEDNESDAY! at midnight EST
3. No source will be displayed until the end of Trading on Friday! (or after) but before opening on Mon
4. The source posted by ME is all that matters nothing else!
5. The source could include spot price or not!

6. Both over and under bids are allowed!! all that matters is who is closest to the closing price!! at the time of my post (Source) which will be linked for viewing to determine the winner at this time (before midnight Sun) the winner needs to re-post their un-edited bid to be congratulated buy fellow member's if they wish to do so.
good luck to all you wonderful members and lets give this a try ;) snipers are welcome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week we go with a Commodity called COCOA!

bidding ends 4/29/15 at midnight EST

place to watch market price live is CCN5 Future Quote - Cocoa (ICE US) Jul 2015 Future Price Today (CCN5:NYE) - MarketWatch this may or may not be the source! i use that will be determined later!

PRIZE is a $ 50.00 coupon code redeemable at our store with a one time use and it is not limited to and one product! (you will have to pay for shipping!)

Good luck to all the vapors playing the market at M&P ! ;)

Last edited:

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
P0P the C0P! LOL

I don't want you to have to police the thread either P0P! That would just suck all the fun right out of it, wouldn't it?

Wed cut-off should help a lot with members' concerns.

Thank you for the generous and fun contest P0P!
That aint happening :eek::) and you are all very welcome. P0P the Cop ROTF :lol:

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
Hey you come here! what number you playing kid?
politie065.gif

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
:ohmy: pm'ing was a little spooky with this new system :w00t:;) :pop:

I read on the tips and tricks thread that you can't reply to a pm from the old forum, even though they show up in your conversations, because the recipient won't receive it. You have to start a new conversation.

Just thought I'd mention that, hoping it helps someone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread