SXmini M Class (TEMP CONTROL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurie9300

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney Australia
I don't see anyone building high ohms so I will post mine. Please don't write of building in the higher range, this is a really great vape. It came in higher than expected, but my last two builds came in lower than I expected so, of course, I over compensated!

Twisted 32 Ni200, 12 spaced wraps on 3mm. Came in at 0.31, and yes, I pulsed the coils in wattage mode at 10 watts. I've had problems before with hot spots and I wanted to check, but there were none.

Wicked with KGD, used the double insertion method, did the whole hairdresser thing. Topped off with Orange sherbet, Cashmire Century.

Running at 20J 180C (360F), but it doesn't go over 140C (284F), so I agree, it's probably hotter than it's reading.

Reactions: ahgnus

ahgnus

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
38.8833° N, 77.0167° W
Well just remember that when you set Temperature you are only setting a limit that the SX will allow the coil to reach and no higher. The Joules are the real force behind the amount of vapor and the warmth you experience. Actually if your coil and wick are working well you will probably never hit the Temperature limit (in my case 450 F) unless you go to something like 50J.

As far as my mammoth coil ID my intent was to see if I could build a coil that would always keep up with the wicking demands I made of it. Well so far after about a week my subjective opinion is "Bigger is better" and my opinion is based on the amount of juice this configuration goes thru not to mention the large number of bubbles I see coming up from the juice channels in the Lemo 2. The only shortcoming is that the Lemo 2 is a 3.8 ml tank so I find myself filling it 2 to 3 times a day (from when I get up in the AM until I go to bed just before hitting AM again ;) ).

If you feel wild and crazy give the large diameter a try I think it will surprise you how well it works. The only short coming for you may be that it does produce a cool vape.There is just so much juice to coil surface area that even Steam-Engine proclaims it will produce a cool vape. Ok maybe a little warmth but not much.

I was inspired to build a coil as I was reading your post in my pajamas in bed. So I got up and went to my build station to create the biggest ID macro coil I've ever attempted. I turned on my computer to get on steamengine while thinking of a few ideas. And I had this even before my computer fully booted.

C360_2015-04-27-02-26-43-206_zpstbojx2og.jpg

I used 28ga, and don't know what ID. I used the shaft of Big Dripper RDA. It's gotta be minimum 4mm. It came out 0.175ohm. A tad higher than I hoped. But it's already in there. I will check out the vape quality.

Here is 2.5mm twisted 28 build I had in it before for comparison.

Now wicked with delicious Muffcake and ready to close her up!

I've been vaping on it for about half an hour checking out different settings. As you stated, but purpose of this build was to see how effective it was at wicking at high-demand setting. I started off with a simple benchmark max setting, 575F/50J/powerful+, and I made sure to give it a good primer puff. And FIRE! ...
a little burned taste...okay down to 500F...Fire! ...
better... but not as smooth. The modulation was more pronounced...I should've built a twisted 28ga to halve the resistance. I will try that next.

But for now, I am getting a smooth satisfying vape at 450F/50J/powerful+. I need to run through some more juice to see how it breaks in. I thought I'd share some pics.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I was inspired to build a coil as I was reading your post in my pajamas in bed. So I got up and went to my build station to create the biggest ID macro coil I've ever attempted. I turned on my computer to get on steamengine while thinking of a few ideas. And I had this even before my computer fully booted.

C360_2015-04-27-02-26-43-206_zpstbojx2og.jpg

I used 28ga, and don't know what ID. I used the shaft of Big Dripper RDA. It's gotta be minimum 4mm. It came out 0.175ohm. A tad higher than I hoped. But it's already in there. I will check out the vape quality.

Here is 2.5mm twisted 28 build I had in it before for comparison.

Now wicked with delicious Muffcake and ready to close her up!

I've been vaping on it for about half an hour checking out different settings. As you stated, but purpose of this build was to see how effective it was at wicking at high-demand setting. I started off with a simple benchmark max setting, 575F/50J/powerful+, and I made sure to give it a good primer puff. And FIRE! ...
a little burned taste...okay down to 500F...Fire! ...
better... but not as smooth. The modulation was more pronounced...I should've built a twisted 28ga to halve the resistance. I will try that next.

But for now, I am getting a smooth satisfying vape at 450F/50J/powerful+. I need to run through some more juice to see how it breaks in. I thought I'd share some pics.

Usually one starts at lower temperatures and builds his way up and not the other way around :D

I hope you like it.

After talking a bit with Holman, I did a 4.5mm coil to test but couldn't fit it on the erlk deck. I guess I put too many wraps in it. Maybe I'll try it next time but it does makes sense... the bigger id the coil has, the more juice it can hold there right where it's needed. So much for 1.5mm microcoils hum? :p

Tony

ahgnus

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
38.8833° N, 77.0167° W
Usually one starts at lower temperatures and builds his way up and not the other way around :D

I hope you like it.

After talking a bit with Holman, I did a 4.5mm coil to test but couldn't fit it on the erlk deck. I guess I put too many wraps in it. Maybe I'll try it next time but it does makes sense... the bigger id the coil has, the more juice it can hold there right where it's needed. So much for 1.5mm microcoils hum? :p

Tony
LOL Yeah, I didn't have the patience to ramp up from lower temp to higher temp. I like it ok so far. Not much difference noted from 2.5/3mm coils tho. I still have to play with different settings.

It's all in the wicking tho. I tested out my Big Dripper with twisted 28ga/7 wraps/2.5mm/.075ohms for giggles, it sure tastes better than any tank I own at the moment. Other than the hassle of having to refill the tank every 15 puffs, the Big Dripper retains superior flavor of RDAs from over-saturated coils. It is something hard to mimic in RTA systems.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
jimscotty, what are you set at? I don't understand why I need it so high. perhaps I expect more than it was designed for. I am getting gobs of vapor and flavor though. pleased regardless. I just do not understand what exactly is bad about having it set so high. I hope it is not a safety issue. I did the same thing with the dna40. it is great but lower does not suit me.

some have talked down on the sx, others had nothing but praise. honestly I don't know enough to see a difference anyways. I do know when a chip is dead however, guess which ones. I think they brought forth a pretty darn good effort here. I just want a custom mod with the 350j now.
I know this probably seems a bit obvious but have you tried another coil? I had a a pack of 5 of which I have managed to get two to work adequately. Some have had a great experience with these heads but mine has been frustrating at best. The design is just not cut out for TC in my opinion. I now have one on my chiNA40 VF reading 0.14ohms, vaping at 460F at 22.5 watts and it is ok, not great but ok. That is the best I have managed to get so far. I also know that when I take off the tank to refill (nano btw) if I select new coil, the resistance reading will probably change so I have been following the 'rules' and selecting same coil every time. Problem is, that if/when this thing goes bananas like three of the others, I might ending breathing insulator fumes again.... I really hope Knager get this sorted out at some stage.

I should also say that I have not managed to get any sensible resistance reading from any of these on the SX for reasons that remain obscure. Can get anything from 0.12 to 0.25 ohms with the same coil (yes it is always temp equlibrated).

So in short, I think you are tearing your hair out over something that is close to a lost cause. You are not alone. A lot of people have had problems with these things!

Last edited:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Well try 4mm... it's bigger than 3mm :)

I can really see the advantage of a larger macro coil. Just haven't tried it myself. If it's enough to blow Holman out of his socks, it has to work right? :)

I don't have anything right now that I would feel comfortable putting a 4mm coil in. The Subtank RTA MIGHT have enough room, but definitely not the Kayfun. When I get the Lemo 2 (Sometime this week) that should have enough room. And with those gigantic juice channels on the Lemo2, I can't imagine it having much of an issue keeping that big ole wad of cotton wicking fine

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
Thanx guys for the advices on untrasonic cleaning.. I kinda like the alcohol swap.. Got plenty of those ;)

A few questions..
I kept seeing guys using twisted Ni200.. Aren't we suppose to use non-contact coil? Won't twisted mess up the reading?
Also guys vaping anything from 3-5 tanks per wick.. Any gunk noted?

For the record I've not tried twisted Ni200, still trying to do a good single non-contact coil! Also I do a new coil every 2-3 tanks as the wires seems to be black with gunk and I can't dry burn it like kanthal..

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I'm really liking the coil at around .09. The new one I put in was 28awg NI200 just regular nickel and after a comment from someone here saying that they really liked it around .09 I pulled a wrap off. I had 8 and went to 7. I noticed this morning that at 18J it was even a little strong for this early and I am using it at 15J 410 now and tasting incredible. The tempered wire is easier to work with. With this coil I though what the heck and I used the Busardo method and wrapped a micro coil on my coil master then stretched it and pushed it back together and came out with a perfectly space coil. I do like the tempered and they have 50 meter spools now. It's probably me but the tempered seemed a little diff to me like it didn't take as much of a break in period but that probably just me. Another thing I notice is I accidently put it on powerful mode and it didn't seem as good as soft or standard I like both of those.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I am trying to sell some of my equipment now so I can get 1 more. I'm going to take a big loss but I don't use them anymore and I'm trying to do it in a bundle. I'm hoping a friend of mine takes it all. He's perfect for a VS rDNA40 and some authentic KFL+V2's. His wife really likes the KF's and he is a modder so he loves playing around with stuff like the rDNA

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Read overnight posts.... one such post quoted...

jimscotty, what are you set at? I don't understand why I need it so high. perhaps I expect more than it was designed for. I am getting gobs of vapor and flavor though. pleased regardless. I just do not understand what exactly is bad about having it set so high. I hope it is not a safety issue. I did the same thing with the dna40. it is great but lower does not suit me.

some have talked down on the sx, others had nothing but praise. honestly I don't know enough to see a difference anyways. I do know when a chip is dead however, guess which ones. I think they brought forth a pretty darn good effort here. I just want a custom mod with the 350j now.

Thought this was an SX thread.... come on guys... lets get off the SX vs. ??? making folks uncomfortable in this forum...my thoughts are if ya want a SX vs. ?? discussion just start a thread... to reply to your comment " the talking down" of a device has occurred on both ends of the discussion... I, for one, have held off on posting many times here when this "sx vs. ?? comes up... an example: a post stated a certain occ coil was not designed for the sx but for DNA (hesitated typing DNA in this post)..... and from VS add : (came out after the sx was marketed)

Vapor Shark has collaborated with Aspire to bring the groundbreaking temperature limiting technology of the Vapor Shark rDNA 40 to the massively popular Atlantis tank. These replacement atomizer heads for the Atlantis tank feature coils wrapped from pure Nickel (NI-200) wire at 0.15 ohms, allowing you to monitor and limit the temperature your coils are reaching. Because these coils are only for use on devices capable of temperature sensing and limiting technology, we have changed the color of the silicone ring on the atomizer heads from clear to Vapor Shark blue for increased safety and ease of identification.

And for the Kanger nickel coils the add reflect only DNA as these were available prior to the sx coming out)

Vapor Shark has collaborated with Kangertech to bring the groundbreaking temperature limiting technology of the Vapor Shark rDNA 40 to the popular Subtank family of tanks. The Subtank line has garnered glowing reviews from every corner of the vape community, but at Vapor Shark, we wanted to make them even better! These replacement atomizer heads feature pure organic Japanese cotton wicks and 0.15 ohm coils wrapped from pure Nickel (NI-200) wire, allowing you to monitor and limit the temperature your coils are reaching. Because these coils are only for use on devices powered by Evolv's DNA 40 board, we have changed the color of the silicone ring on the atomizer heads from clear to Vapor Shark blue for increased safety and ease of identification. Get performance and peace of mind, pick up the new temperature sensing OCC coils for your Subtank today!

tiny rant completed...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomoreash

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
What we mean when we mention twisted Ni200 is taking 2 or more strands of wire and tightly twisting them together in a drill (or whatever, I use a dremel... )

I do it because for now I only have 30AWG Ni200. Twisting two strands together allows me to build to the equivalent of 27-28AWG Ni200. With 30AWG in order to hit the .065 target resistance that YiHi recommends I would only be doing like 3 or 4 wraps. With twisted wire, I can get six wraps.

Once the wires are twisted together, it's just a thicker single wire. Still very possible to do a spaced coil. It's also easier to clamp down into a post hole, IMO.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
IDK who the heads were made for but I didn't care for them. The Nautilus was not a good choice for nickel IMO not enough air flow the Kanger are OK but I like my own coils a lot better. Come to think of it the Nautilus NI200 I don't think are even usable on the SX they are .3 ohms and after a little use go up to .32 or more.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
IDK who the heads were made for but I didn't care for them. The Nautilus was not a good choice for nickel IMO not enough air flow the Kanger are OK but I like my own coils a lot better. Come to think of it the Nautilus NI200 I don't think are even usable on the SX they are .3 ohms and after a little use go up to .32 or more.

Yep.... .3 ohm is the upper limit according to the specs....in Joules mode...

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Has anyone tried 26awg. I see that 7 wraps would get me pretty close to .065 only thing is I'm pretty sure that thicker wire takes a little more to heat up.

Not yet... I have some 26 and 28 Ni200 on the way from TEMco... I'll report the results once it gets here. That's why I got the 26 was to have a 7'ish wrap with a single wire...

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Not yet... I have some 26 and 28 Ni200 on the way from TEMco... I'll report the results once it gets here. That's why I got the 26 was to have a 7'ish wrap with a single wire...
Back in the day when I was building coils I tried 26, 28, 30, etc. and I liked 28 and 30 depending on the application....I like "fiddle free" vaping and use only pre-made coils now...... vaping is subjective....we all look for what we like to satisfy our addiction/hobby.... :thumbs:

Reactions: jmercury1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread