Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I know a lot of people who use twisted wire regularly. They say they get better flavor than straight wire. I can't tell the difference really. Why put in the extra effort if you aren't getting anything out of it? Claptons are another story. Claptons give some good dimension to complex flavors. I had an Apple Pie flavored juice that tasted like a buttered popcorn on straight wire. No apple whatsoever. Dripped on some Claptons I made and BOOM, flavor explosion. The juice still wasn't for me, but at least I could taste the whole apple pie.

Thanks for the feedback Sicaedus :)

Reactions: SissySpike

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
That's awesome :). It looks like the Eviva-t on the outside.

I would love to beta test RTAs.
Just start a youtube channel spend lots of money and time reviewing just released vape gear and after some time you will start getting some perks ;-)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I just placed an order for Ti wire Ill post my thoughts It looks like as long as you keep it under 600 degrees dont think that will be to hard , it wont powder and create a carcinogenic. I doubt youll have any issues it seems like it either bothers a person or it doesn't

For sure let us know how you like it Buzzz. I'm probably not going to be trying Ti for at least a week so you just might get there before I do.

OK, so I lied buzzz
tease.gif
. I got a second Mutation X last week and experimenting more with temperature protection has been burning a hole in my mind ever since. Yup, I know that doesn't take much :cry:

So, I set up the new MX with 28 guage Ti wire, dual coil. It reads 0.24 ohms when I installed it on the VS DNA40. Ugliest coils I've probably ever made, but that stuff really is as springy as they say it is. The bottom coil is the first one I made, the top is the third so I may just be getting better at this ... maybe
dash1.gif
. I broke the second one by tightening a post screw too tight;
20fc8k6.jpg

2mwb24g.jpg

Here's what the build looked like after installing KGD and spacing the coils;
rh6cu0.jpg

Build resistance was stable on my ohm reader when I nudged the coils a bit so I cut the leads, wicked a coil with KGD and dry fired it starting at 270 deg F and moved up from there. No effect on the cotton until I got to 410 F and got a bit of a singe so I left it at that setting.

I'm vaping it side by side with the old MX right now using this Kanthal build which has had a few dry burns and re-wicks and is on a Sigelei 150;
2lwkcgl.jpg

The DNA40 is set at 40 watts and the Sigelei at 39 because I feel the Sig puts out a bit more power at the same setting as the DNA40. I'm using the same juice, in the same attys and the same drip tips. I've got the air flow slightly more open on the Ti build because it has longer coils so there is one difference, but it's a difference I feel makes the two setups more comparable.

It's early times yet for me, but so far the DNA40 build is holding its own. Both are very nice vapes. The setup on the DNA40 is maxing out at about 320 deg F when the wicks are wet and I hit it watching the screen, not taking a drag. Flavor is a bit different between the setups, but that's to be expected as the builds are so different.

It will be interesting to see how the two systems hold up over time :)

Spidey2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2014
Baker, MT
hi guys, well my ipv mini quit, I do have backups so I am ok for now, but I think I am going back to mech mods. I never had issue with them not working but yet every vv/vw device I have had other than my old mvp shine has quit within a couple months.

Sigelei. My 100w+ has been through the wringer. Bounces around in the center console of my work truck every day, gets covered in juice from leaks once in awhile, etc. Had it about 6 months now without a lick of trouble.

Spidey2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2014
Baker, MT
Ah, got ya. I realized I had to not screw the Billow all the way onto a mod and block those air holes after taking the screws out. I'm still enjoying it this way :)
I found that the amount of wicking makes a huge difference as well. I used way less when I rewicked it Saturday. On par with the airflow in my dark horse with 4/6 afc holes open (how I typically run it). Also switched to twisted 28ga, 9 wraps. .5 ohms, running pretty cool, and flavor like you wouldn't believe.

Sicaedus

Vapor Enthusiast
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2015
Iowa
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the feedback Sicaedus :)

Not a problem my friend. I am always willing give out advise based on my personal experiences. I know I am still learning. I've only been Sub-Ohming since late January of this year. I used a lot of interweb surfing to learn about safety, coil building and devices as quickly as I could. My experience is short, but I am decently smart dude so I pick things up pretty fast.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I found that the amount of wicking makes a huge difference as well. I used way less when I rewicked it Saturday. On par with the airflow in my dark horse with 4/6 afc holes open (how I typically run it). Also switched to twisted 28ga, 9 wraps. .5 ohms, running pretty cool, and flavor like you wouldn't believe.

I hear ya Spidey. I now wick my attys like .... Kickers does in this video and it works well for me with both cotton and rayon. Fluffing the wick and trimming it down seems to be the way to go.

Spidey2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2014
Baker, MT
I hear ya Spidey. I now wick my attys like .... Kickers does in this video and it works well for me with both cotton and rayon. Fluffing the wick and trimming it down seems to be the way to go.
I usually cut it perfectly even with the deck and make a tiny fluff ball underneath. Made it a little thinner this time and I'm way happier with it,

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Good to hear it's not just me :). The good part seems to be the coils are easy to move around after I wick them. How do you handle cleaning them without dry burning Roxy, or do you dry burn them?

Don't dry burn. They will oxidize and be toxic I guess. I'm just running them under hot water and gently rubbing them off with some tissue. I was thinking it might be a good plan to use a tiny bottle brush or a pipe cleaner on them.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Don't dry burn. They will oxidize and be toxic I guess. I'm just running them under hot water and gently rubbing them off with some tissue. I was thinking it might be a good plan to use a tiny bottle brush or a pipe cleaner on them.

That's what I've read from other people too and I think I'm not going to chance oxidizing it too much. Before I made the first Ti coil I flamed a bit of wire with a Bic lighter and got it to glow quite red. It didn't burn but I did get what seemed like soot on it and under the soot the wire had changed a bit. I then hit it with a propane torch and that got the wire to burn but it self extinguished after burning up about 3/8" of itself. That part then crumbled when I touched it. I'm not worried about it igniting after that little experiment, but yes, the oxidation part might not be good. I'll have to do more research into that if I continue using it.

On another note, I was quite happy with the Ti build yesterday and had no problems with it. When I came back to it today it wasn't vaping the same. I found the resistance had about doubled, the mod was out of TP mode but both coils were firing. I snugged down the post screws again but I couldn't get good contact back before I broke a wire.

Is this kind of thing common with Ti and/or Ni or am I doing something wrong? I might try doubling the wire tails over next time so I have twice the wire to tighten down on, but I have my doubts if that will work well because Ti is so springy.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla

Our Subasidal hero and mentor Victor ;) Dont let the engrish and seemingly complete idiotic lack of knowledge and safety act fool you Victor is a genius way ahead of his time

No matter how many times I watch that I bust out laughing at his reaction to the wick bursting into flames...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread