Be Careful Keeping Egos in Your Pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
Just wanted to share an experience I had the other day with you guys.

I had been using ego style batteries for almost 2 years and this was the first time anything dangerous happened, but in that 2 years my girlfriend and I have probably gone through at least 10 ego batteries due to various problems (everything from smok Egos to Vision Spinner).

I was at work with my ego battery in my pocket, and this in particular was a Smok brand variable volt ego. All of a sudden I felt my pocket getting hot, so I reached down and pulled my battery/tank out to see what was happening. The part that was a push fit had completely slid off and pulled out a wire or two and something was either causing a short or causing the battery to continuously drain (probably the former). By the time that I had realized something was wrong the battery was so hot that it started smoking and the metal from the ego battery burned me.

I promptly ran to the outside door, pulled on the button part of the battery case to rip out all of the wires connecting to the battery to the PCB, and threw the battery on the ground. It continued to sizzle for a minute then it stopped... It never actually blew or caught flame but who knows what would've happened if I hadn't noticed and done something about it. Luckily no one really paid much attention to what I was doing -- Otherwise it would've given my workplace the perfect excuse to ban vaping devices.

I think this particular battery I had pulled apart once to fix the button (got jammed) so that's probably way the push fitting wasn't quite as tight as it was supposed to be, but still. Be very careful keeping these things in your pocket, especially if you're wearing tighter pants with tight pockets (and very much especially if you've already pulled the tube apart once already).

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
Yep, other than a little one inch burn on my thumb, no damage done.

Just wanted to throw a word of caution out to anyone new to egos or vaping in general. I think there's a line of thinking that regulated devices are 100% safe and risk only lies in mechs, but that's definitely not the case. No matter what kind of device you have there is a risk and you need to be careful and treat it with care. At least here, even though being in my pocket was certainly one of the causes of this incident it turned out to be a good thing, too -- since I was able to feel it getting warmer against my leg I knew that something was wrong.

And for anyone looking into getting their first ego or upgrading to a different one -- I found that the push fitting is particularly easy to pull apart in the Smok models. It's convenient if you need to fix a small problem but not so good for carrying around in your pocket. On the other hand, the vision spinners are a b**tch to pull apart which is vice-versa. I have no experience with Joye models.

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
Had button get pushed and dang got hot but not like that. Now I've had button top come off falling asleep with mine but try not to do that now and especially since reading this, none of wires came off just popped back one and noticed my EVOD battery the battery is what called sealed and the top won't pop off on it like my other two Kik Ego Batts

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Once an Ego battery has an issue like a shoved in push button, it's just better to get a new one. They're dirt cheap and it's just safe. Take the old one in that instance to your local vape shop or a local battery shop and they can properly dispose of the battery for you.

ArdDarvis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2014
Okiphenoki, OK
Ya know, back in my eGo days, my problem was that the tube and the button/connector part would separate.

You're trying to be fashionable with awesome pants, but still want a battery that will last all day, and what you get is a foot long stick in your pocket that breaks in half when you sit down. Even better, don't even try to pull it out of your pocket while sitting- impossible- It will literally get stuck in corners of your pocket you didn't know existed. Why do pockets have corners at the top anyways?

I think that eGos are more a danger than any other battery, mostly because they are so unassuming- "what could this little thing do? it's only 3.2 volts"
Right, until the glue holding it together breaks and the positive wire comes unattached (due to shotty soldiering) and touches the board in a place its not supposed to.

What worries me the most is that once you take it apart the first time, it'll never be the same, even if you're taking it apart to fix it.

I do not like eGos. I get it- they're cheap and accessible, but geezus, they are dangerous!

Spanky Payne

Mar 7, 2015
Jasper Missouri
Yep, other than a little one inch burn on my thumb, no damage done.

Just wanted to throw a word of caution out to anyone new to egos or vaping in general. I think there's a line of thinking that regulated devices are 100% safe and risk only lies in mechs, but that's definitely not the case. No matter what kind of device you have there is a risk and you need to be careful and treat it with care. At least here, even though being in my pocket was certainly one of the causes of this incident it turned out to be a good thing, too -- since I was able to feel it getting warmer against my leg I knew that something was wrong.

And for anyone looking into getting their first ego or upgrading to a different one -- I found that the push fitting is particularly easy to pull apart in the Smok models. It's convenient if you need to fix a small problem but not so good for carrying around in your pocket. On the other hand, the vision spinners are a b**tch to pull apart which is vice-versa. I have no experience with Joye models.

The joye models are pretty solid but do after about 6 months or so of use loosen and slide out alot, my last ego I had kept sliding out til one day it ripped out all the wires in my pocket.

Spanky Payne

Mar 7, 2015
Jasper Missouri
Ya know, back in my eGo days, my problem was that the tube and the button/connector part would separate.

You're trying to be fashionable with awesome pants, but still want a battery that will last all day, and what you get is a foot long stick in your pocket that breaks in half when you sit down. Even better, don't even try to pull it out of your pocket while sitting- impossible- It will literally get stuck in corners of your pocket you didn't know existed. Why do pockets have corners at the top anyways?

I think that eGos are more a danger than any other battery, mostly because they are so unassuming- "what could this little thing do? it's only 3.2 volts"
Right, until the glue holding it together breaks and the positive wire comes unattached (due to shotty soldiering) and touches the board in a place its not supposed to.

What worries me the most is that once you take it apart the first time, it'll never be the same, even if you're taking it apart to fix it.

I do not like eGos. I get it- they're cheap and accessible, but geezus, they are dangerous!

Yeah I've heard of more Ego explosions than Mech mod explosions.
Especially when charging.
Plug it into your car port or computer you're taking a risk but yet people still do it, boggles the mind :blink:.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
One of my 650 ma 808 threaded ego style batteries went bad just flashes the light and no way in heck can I pull the end out of it. Wound up cutting it with a tubing cutter to get it apart to salvage the connector and switch for another project. Not a big loss only paid 3.75 for it and got 3 months worth of use out of it.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I've only used GENUINE joyetech egos and GENUINE Kangertech evods, and have never had a battery problem in 3 years.

I've used the cheaper one, the buttons stick, or bury themselves by falling inside the battery, or the batteries don't turn off, etc. I won't ever buy anything but these 2 brands. For an extra $2-$4, I can't see the savings in getting the knockoffs.

The evod buttons are flush with the battery itself, and once turned off, have less chance of getting "hit" by something and breaking off or getting hurt.

Flyguide83

Jun 26, 2015
With how low you can buy a eleaf or other box style device these days, I have done away with those little bocket bombs.. I had an aspire twist type that was locked off, it somehow shorted out while I was working and completely melted the coil and 510 adapter in an nautilus mini. Thankfully I was wearing insulated carhart pants and I was not burned. . But that was the line for me.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Yeah I've heard of more Ego explosions than Mech mod explosions.
Especially when charging.
Plug it into your car port or computer you're taking a risk but yet people still do it, boggles the mind :blink:.

With how low you can buy a eleaf or other box style device these days, I have done away with those little bocket bombs..

Ego's and eLeaf iSticks both use Li-Poly chemistry batteries, which have the potential to vent flames or explode. They are not safe chemistry batteries like the Li-Mn IMR batteries used in mods requiring external replaceable batteries.
istick 50 watt exploded

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or protected ICR?

Spanky Payne

Mar 7, 2015
Jasper Missouri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread