Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IML8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2014
Oklahoma
Got my Goliath in today. What a pain in my nates! I'm gonna have to get myself a watchmakers visor. I don't think I can get a nickel dual coil build to ever work in this thing if my IPV4 is only going accommodated builds down to 0.1 ohms. Not sure I would recommend this thing to other rebuildables newbies such as myself. Trial by fire can be frustrating and, in this case, tedious. Tried 7 wraps spaced, tried 6 wraps spaced...no bueno! I was finally able to fit a couple of 5 wrap spaced 2.5 id coils in it. It reads 0.4 ohms on the istick 50W...es muy Bueno! Anyway, enough complaining.

I wicked it up with some rayon and it was all worth it. I don't have the wide range of experience with drippers, other rebuildables and such that a lot you folks have, but this is the best vape I've ever had. Hopefully the rayon wicks will last long enough between requisite rebuilds to keep me from ever getting good at it. Not my thing...for now anyway. I've learned the hard way to never say never where vaping is concerned.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
The samples I got were the Sleek. I checked the insert again and it does say the insides are 100% rayon. Perhaps what I saw was including the string. The samples also included a couple of liner pads...I wonder what those are made of. :D

Whatever it says before fibers. Then the string and package will follow.

Reactions: TrollDragon

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Well Ku sleek is rayon, its pretty small, high end looking plastic applicator. The smaller they are the more likely its 100% rayon. Double the amount of cotton is needed to compare to rayon. All cotton blends have been much larger than any rayon ones I've seen... I'll have to look at that link you ordered from .

On the Ku note, I saw some off brand at the dollar general store that were labeled 100% rayon also.
Or get some super Flux absorbing ones. It's most likely 100% rayon because let's face it, they can't make a TP the size of a football.

The o.b. I got are labeled super absorbent (5 drop ) I believe. The mini are only 2 drop and regular are 3 drop.

I still prefer slakov's DM Balls over any other rayon I have here including tidi. :D

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
"haha look at that freak checking out tampons..." :laugh:

Haha, lol. You don't know what's its like to deal with you girls. The wife says get something, you better get the right thing!

no actually no one saw me.. It was in my bathroom. The wife brought them home. :)

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Or get some super Flux absorbing ones. It's most likely 100% rayon because let's face it, they can't make a TP the size of a football.

The o.b. I got are labeled super absorbent (5 drop ) I believe. The mini are only 2 drop and regular are 3 drop.

I still prefer slakov's DM Balls over any other rayon I have here including tidi. :D

Nothing like slakovs balls huh.

But seriously, the DM rayon balls must be good, I wonder what grade they are.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Got my Goliath in today. What a pain in my nates! I'm gonna have to get myself a watchmakers visor. I don't think I can get a nickel dual coil build to ever work in this thing if my IPV4 is only going accommodated builds down to 0.1 ohms. Not sure I would recommend this thing to other rebuildables newbies such as myself. Trial by fire can be frustrating and, in this case, tedious. Tried 7 wraps spaced, tried 6 wraps spaced...no bueno! I was finally able to fit a couple of 5 wrap spaced 2.5 id coils in it. It reads 0.4 ohms on the iStick 50W...es muy Bueno! Anyway, enough complaining.

Here's a nice little trick for perfect spaced coils....... Find a screw of the diameter coil you want, wrap your wire inside the screws threading..... Twist out the screw.....BAM! perfectly spaced coil :D

Reactions: TrollDragon

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Here's a nice little trick for perfect spaced coils....... Find a screw of the diameter coil you want, wrap your wire inside the screws threading..... Twist out the screw.....BAM! perfectly spaced coil :D

The machine screws work great for spaced coils. If you don't have one available I like to wrap two parallel wires like I'm wrapping any parallel coil, then just separate each coil from one another. Nicely spaced coils, and two of them. Use a lot of tension.

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
The box thing is probably an issue with your browser caching data. Try another browser.

I've been through like 6 browser since yesterday to find one that supports all new features.

So far:

Dolphin: supports all features but locks the reply box on some occasions when focus is lost.

Firefox: generally slow loading pages and doesn't support the upload attachment feature

Javelin: fast and smooth but doesn't support upload attachment.

UC browser: lacks a few common features, doesn't support attachment upload

Chrome: supports all features but the tab browsing sucks compared to other browsers

Lastpass browser: generally sucks and doesn't support attachment upload

Note that I tried disabling flash uploads in preferences but with same results.

Back to rayon... I ordered a Mutation X today. Should get it Wednesday. I hope I can make a few experiments with it regarding big macro coils and rayon wicks. Fingers crossed :)

Tony
My 3 Mutation x variants have nev e r seen anything smaller than 3mm or anything other than rayon... they love every second of them both.

Best of luck

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
That worked GREAT for me for awhile, but now all my coils wanna be reverse threaded. :oops:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
That worked GREAT for me for awhile, but now all my coils wanna be reverse threaded. :oops:

'SPENSIVE though!
Go to a hobby shop and ask for M3 turnbuckle links (used in cars, trucks and helis for strut bar adjustment, swash plate adjustment, etc)

Those turnbuckles come with a right hand and a left hand thread.

A M3 will give you 2.5mm id coils.

Since my main atty is a erlp, right hand coils are mandatory so I had to get a left hand screw:
358b8e64d4e8638e252a7930e97a346e.jpg

Tony

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Go to a hobby shop and ask for M3 turnbuckle links (used in cars, trucks and helis for strut bar adjustment, swash plate adjustment, etc)

Those turnbuckles come with a right hand and a left hand thread.

A M3 will give you 2.5mm id coils.

Since my main atty is a erlp, right hand coils are mandatory so I had to get a left hand screw:
358b8e64d4e8638e252a7930e97a346e.jpg

Tony

Nice idea Tony! I'm gonna check that out!

I had a WTH moment due to low caffeine level this early when reading posts, I thought you meant these were used in full size cars and trucks until I re-read you posted to go to a hobby shop. I know parts have been down sized and made from light weight materials since I've twisted wrenches but was baffled to think they would put a 3mm turnbuckle in the suspension of a one ton truck! May be on one of those "green" matchbox size coffin cars..... LoL

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Nice idea Tony! I'm gonna check that out!

I had a WTH moment due to low caffeine level this early when reading posts, I thought you meant these were used in full size cars and trucks until I re-read you posted to go to a hobby shop. I know parts have been down sized and made from light weight materials since I've twisted wrenches but was baffled to think they would put a 3mm turnbuckle in the suspension of a one ton truck! May be on one of those "green" matchbox size coffin cars..... LoL
Lol, that would be nuts :D

M3 are usually used in 1:10 race cars. M4 are sometimes used in 1:8 nitro buggies.

Helis generally use M3 for 50 and 90 sized machines.

Traxxa has those turnbuckles.

Btw, if one needed 5mm, they sell these turnbuckles to tighten steel ropes at the hardware store... At least here in Europe they are all metric ;)

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Lol, that would be nuts :D

M3 are usually used in 1:10 race cars. M4 are sometimes used in 1:8 nitro buggies.

Helis generally use M3 for 50 and 90 sized machines.

Traxxa has those turnbuckles.

Btw, if one needed 5mm, they sell these turnbuckles to tighten steel ropes at the hardware store... At least here in Europe they are all metric ;)

Nuts is right! BTW, can I ask you what you used for a PWM speed controller for your stirrer? I quickly learned you need to control the speed with a full range adjustment so you can start out slow otherwise the stir stick just shakes LoL. I found one on Amazon, looks like it would be OK but not 100% sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread