KayFun info needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snugglepooter

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Upstate NY
Hi all! I'm thinking of trying a kayfun type tank, having mastered my GT's, GS's and Ithakas (all clones, send cash and I'll upgrade...).

My question is this: From my understanding of viscosity and fluid dynamics, the kayfun design (ditto Lemo and all other 'wick channel' type tanks) appears that it would flood severely if laid on its side. Can anyone correct my thinking in this?

Thanks in advance, vape it like you built it!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Hi all! I'm thinking of trying a kayfun type tank, having mastered my GT's, GS's and Ithakas (all clones, send cash and I'll upgrade...).

My question is this: From my understanding of viscosity and fluid dynamics, the kayfun design (ditto Lemo and all other 'wick channel' type tanks) appears that it would flood severely if laid on its side. Can anyone correct my thinking in this?

Thanks in advance, vape it like you built it!

Nah, when everything is working correctly, the kayfun doesn't flood or leak at all. Just one reason it's such a popular design (aside from the outstanding vape!).

Andria

Reactions: EBates

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I agree. If built correctly, it won't.

Also those pesky o-rings... everytime I've had any kind of leak with my kayfuns... it was always one or more of those o-rings deciding to give up the ghost -- even a little fraying can severely compromise the vape and the ability of a kayfun to "hold its water." :D

The most recent kayfun I've bought (last week!), when I first got it I noted that the o-ring where the chimney engages, wasn't quite flush in the little groove... I pushed it in, but apparently its size was just a little too big, and I kept getting those slow leaks... this morning I finally changed it, even though it's nearly new -- no more slow leak.

Andria

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
It is possible for any tank of this style to flood the chamber when laid on it's side if the liquid level is low enough to expose one of the liquid channels to the air pocket in the tank.

This possibility is even acknowledged by Svoemesto in the Kayfun 3.1 manual:

"Minor leaks may also happen if the tank is filled completely, or it is filled more than halfway while Kayfun is lying horizontally or with mouthpiece tilted down for some time. In this case, one of the grooves (2j) could be at the top "in the air" and another one at the bottom dipped into e-liquid. In this case the air will escape from evaporation chamber through the top groove and e-liquid will flow from the tank to the evaporation chamber through the bottom groove.
Naturally this process stops as soon as both grooves are covered with e-liquid.
Make sure that both grooves are always covered with e-liquid, keep Kayfun horizontally in such a way that the mouthpiece is always slightly higher than the evaporation chamber. Even better, keep it in the vertical (or near vertical) position if your battery mod allows it."

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The ONLY time my Kayfun leaks, or floods is.. ON a HOT day, Laid on side in the CAR, juice will come out the air whole and a quick blow through the tip fixes it. Actually this happens when the mod is kept vertical, should be same for all vac operated tanks.. Also can get leaks when changing altitudes severly. Atomspheric pressure will affect the tank. The other time it leaks or floods, and this doesn't count, is when I over-fill it. But even thats OK, because it rinses the wick out a bit. Again a clearing BLOW, OR high powered lung hit, problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread