Illinois, USA

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Actually the "neonicotinoids" are not actual nicotine; they're lab-created synthetics, and it seems that neonicotinoid pesticides are implicated in the Colony Collapse disaster. So they better get back to using REAL nicotine, if they don't want famine for the entire world.

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Since when is a preference an addiction?

Good call, pennysmalls. Check this out:

Nicotine-like insecticides may be luring bees to their poisoning, study finds | MinnPost

"No sign of addiction — yet
It has been widely though erroneously reported that the study also demonstrated addiction behavior in bees that fed on neonics. Not so. That was beyond its scope.

But one of its authors, Geraldine Wright, told interviewers that the team hopes to look at that possibility next."

I should've searched more, but it was entertaining, so I joined in on the media's making light of a serious problem. It's still kind of fun. In my defense I had discovered the study to be behind a paywall, and the abstract was boring and the full study would've probably been tedious for me to read.

Mossy

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2013
Sydney Australia
From Wiki

"As of 2013 neonicotinoids have been used In the U.S. on about 95 percent of corn and canola crops, the majority of cotton, sorghum, and sugar beets and about half of all soybeans. They have been used on the vast majority of fruit and vegetables, including apples, cherries, peaches, oranges, berries, leafy greens, tomatoes, and potatoes, to cereal grains, rice, nuts, and wine grapes. [13] Imidacloprid is possibly the most widely used insecticide, both within the neonicotinoids and in the worldwide market"

I wonder if the ANTZ realise this is happening? ............... maybe we could divert their attention for a few years:thumbs:

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
That's their spin on it. I read a few articles about that study, and they all seemed to want to twist it in different ways . That smoking bee picture was part of Mother Jone's warping.

I didn't even look at the motherjones thing, I won't read her stuff. I'm not a fan.

Good call, pennysmalls. Check this out:

Nicotine-like insecticides may be luring bees to their poisoning, study finds | MinnPost

"No sign of addiction — yet
It has been widely though erroneously reported that the study also demonstrated addiction behavior in bees that fed on neonics. Not so. That was beyond its scope.

But one of its authors, Geraldine Wright, told interviewers that the team hopes to look at that possibility next."

I should've searched more, but it was entertaining, so I joined in on the media's making light of a serious problem. It's still kind of fun. In my defense I had discovered the study to be behind a paywall, and the abstract was boring and the full study would've probably been tedious for me to read.

Oh no, my comment wasn't directed at you it was directed at these people coming up with these dumb assumptions from the studies. The bees preferring the solution with nicotine over the other solution is obviously a preference but to call it an addiction like they do is annoying and just more of the same when it comes to reporting on nicotine.

Reactions: caramel

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
there is even disagreement among beekeepers to whats happening.
In One Widely-Trumpeted Colony Collapse, The Beekeeper Did It
mike

Apparently there's been a lot of misreporting about the research, including linking it to the colony collapse/falling honeybee populations problem (it's the honeybees we're so dependent on). Still a serious problem - who wants to be killing bumblebees?

CORRECTION: Caffeine Does Not Protect Bumble Bees – Entomology Today

"It is also important to point out that this research was conducted on bumble bees — not honey bees — and therefore has nothing at all to do with honey bee Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), as some media outlets have reported."

Reactions: BlueCanary
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread