I know it's all about preference, but am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
So I bought a Provari and I wasn't sure what tank to buy. So as with this hobby you seem to buy everything :) I bought a tank from IBTanked and I absolutely love how it vapes. So then I bought a Nautilus BVC and I hate it. I read so many great reviews about the Nautilus and how they are the sheet, but I can't for the life of me see why. The convenience of just switching the juice and changing the atomizer is much easier than the carto tank. I like the warm vape of the carto and the nautilus is a cool vape. Plus everyone says that carto's are the old way of vaping. I'm new to all of this, only a few months. Any opinion about these two tanks?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Without providing specifics - PV voltage settings, as well as carto brand / type (including juice feed hole number and size) and tank BVC coil head resistances... not much can be offered in the way of suggestions.

A few "WAGs"... your comment "I like the warm vape of the carto and the nautilus is a cool vape" might indicate a notable resistance difference (including wire gauge and coil mass differences), with a heat flux (coil temperature) and vapor production value proportionate to that difference.

Hell... it might just be a fresh air flow volume issue - or even a difference in juice flow quality, particularly if you're using high VG liquid.

And yes... lots of folks have moved away from cartos. ;-)

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Nothing wrong at all with using a carto/tank if you like it. You can still experiment when you see something else that strikes your fancy, and you will always have the carto/tank s/u that you know will do the job for you to fall back on if you need to.
I have 14 mods in my daily rotation, and one of those I use just a carto on, two others have a carto/tank s/u, and I know they will always work for me. I like variety. :)

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
Without providing specifics - PV voltage settings, as well as carto brand / type (including juice feed hole number and size) and tank BVC coil head resistances... not much can be offered in the way of suggestions.

A few "WAGs"... your comment "I like the warm vape of the carto and the nautilus is a cool vape" might indicate a notable resistance difference (including wire gauge and coil mass differences), with a heat flux (coil temperature) and vapor production value proportionate to that difference.

Hell... it might just be a fresh air flow volume issue - or even a difference in juice flow quality, particularly if you're using high VG liquid.

And yes... lots of folks have moved away from cartos. ;-)

State O' Flux, with the carto tank the carto is from ikenvape platinum k 1.8 I used 3.8 volts and it was warm and the flavor was awesome. I used 2 different liquids one being a 50/50 and 1 being 30/70vg. The carto's have 2 holes. The nautilus is the bvc coils at 1.8 also and I tried volts from 3.4-4.4 and it was a cold vape and muted flavor. Also using the same 2 liquids in that and they both were not to my liking. From what I read and heard is the nautilus is the best, but I really like the carto better. I was just trying to get others opinion. Thank you.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You're not crazy.

I primarily used cartotanks for about two years prior to getting into rebuilding my own coils for my Kayfun and RDA's. I was extremely happy with them... as long as the quality of the cartos was acceptable (no duds). I preferred Ikenvapes, too. Also a big supporter of IBTanked.

IBTanked Review

I often would try the latest clearomizer on the market, but usually the flavor was muted compared to the cartotanks, or I would frequently get dry or burnt hits. Cartotanks remained my mainstay.

My theory is that clearos are limited by the small silica string as the wick. Not much surface area to carry the e-liquid; and silica never was known as an excellent flavor carrier. On the other hand, cartos are completely filled with polyfill (a better flavor carrier) with much more surface area to bring the liquid to the coil -- so less likely to get dry or burnt hits.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
You're not crazy.

I primarily used cartotanks for about two years prior to getting into rebuilding my own coils for my Kayfun and RDA's. I was extremely happy with them... as long as the quality of the cartos was acceptable (no duds). I preferred Ikenvapes, too. Also a big supporter of IBTanked.

IBTanked Review

I often would try the latest clearomizer on the market, but usually the flavor was muted compared to the cartotanks, or I would frequently get dry or burnt hits. Cartotanks remained my mainstay.

My theory is that clearos are limited by the small silica string as the wick. Not much surface area to carry the e-liquid; and silica never was known as an excellent flavor carrier. On the other hand, cartos are completely filled with polyfill (a better flavor carrier) with much more surface area to bring the liquid to the coil -- so less likely to get dry or burnt hits.

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Thanks Baditude :) I am using IBTanked and love them. I have read everything you posted on IBTanked and your Carto vendor recommendations that's where I saw you liked Ikenvape cartos, so I went with your suggestions on BOTH! Thanks for the awesome set up :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ya know - this is all about what works - for you. And no - you wouldn't be the only person who has noticed better flavor production with a carto or carto tank than with a BCC clearo. I don't necessarily agree with 'Bad's take on why the flavor output is better. I think it has to do with the fact that the vapor in a carto is being drawn through the saturated filler and picks up more "flavor essence" in the process. Whatever the reason it definitely is different than the small wick issue with clearos and differences - even older ones - are some times a good thing.

Reactions: fourthrok

BackDoc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2010
Galts Gulch
Your not crazy dimpgirl , I've been doing this for at least 5 years, have been thru a good 1k in toppers not to mention everything from cigalikes to egos to say too many mods and more juice than I diddnt like vs what I liked. Just gave away a nautilus, and sold 4 kanger mega tanks and 50 heads to go with it ......coils doesn't last a day, some an Hour! .....went thru every clearo out there . I've said all that to say this; I've gone back to cartos and tanks and have obtained the best vaping experience I've had to date ....no, you're not crazy sweetheart.......

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
Your not crazy dimpgirl , I've been doing this for at least 5 years, have been thru a good 1k in toppers not to mention everything from cigalikes to egos to say too many mods and more juice than I diddnt like vs what I liked. Just gave away a nautilus, and sold 4 kanger mega tanks and 50 heads to go with it ......coils doesn't last a day, some an Hour! .....went thru every clearo out there . I've said all that to say this; I've gone back to cartos and tanks and have obtained the best vaping experience I've had to date ....no, you're not crazy sweetheart.......

Thank you BackDoc :) Have a nice day!

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Been vaping for nearly 5 years now. I've tried so many different ways of vaping over that time. I've been using a carto tank for the past 3 years. I've tried so many clearos, and every one of them was a waste of money for me. I just find the flavor with cartos to be so much better. Plus (as a former smoker) I need the stiffer draw that a carto tank provides. Clearos are all just so airy, I just can't stand that airy-ness.

A month ago my stash of pre-punched cartos started to get low. So I went to my usual online source to order (won't mention names), and saw they were out of stock. I sent them an email asking when they planned on getting back in stock, their response was that they had no intention of selling cartos anymore, that clearos had taken over and there was no reason to stock cartos anymore.

I have no idea if that is truth, or if that particular vendor has decided there is more profit in pushing clearos. Whatever the case, I had to switch to a new vendor. If cartos truly are going the way of the dinosaur, I will quit vaping completely before I will switch to clearos

Reactions: fourthrok
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread