Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
There were.. issues. And as it was the middle of the night for those that have the permissions to get into the servers, making a Facebook post is going to be the last thing on their mind.
Just a tiny clue somewhere that there is work being done would save folks a lot of time that they are spending trying to find out why they can't sign on. Wouldn't take two seconds. Please?

As I'm reading various forums this morning I see a lot of peeps who tried to log in many times and could only think they had done something wrong. Myself, I went to "down for everyone" and it reported that ECF was up and running even though it was not.

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I doubt it was planned. I was online at the time and somebody must have been running some scripts that made the server stall until it halted completely.

Anyway, a tweet or fb message stating 'house is on fire, we're trying to fix it' would have been a nice gesture.
After the initial move I learned that there is life beyond ECF. No big worry when the site went down. I did have to confirm with a couple of friends it was global and not just me.

Tony

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Just a tiny clue somewhere that there is work being done would save folks a lot of time that they are spending trying to find out why they can't sign on. Wouldn't take two seconds. Please?

As I'm reading various forums this morning I see a lot of peeps who tried to log in many times and could only think they had done something wrong. Myself, I went to "down for everyone" and it reported that ECF was up and running even though it was not.

I googled "is this site down" and those sites said it was down. I think I wore those sites out checking ECF for hours!

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Thanks team ECF for brining the site live!

Web site "outages" happen to every single web site on the internet. What we call "uptime" is never 100%. Period. Sometimes just a few minutes and sometimes for days :) It seems for me, they usually happened at 2:00 AM and I was woken from a sound sleep to fix it. Not fun when that beeper blasts away and your SO threatens to ..... /lol

In this case, I ran a trace route and ping from my crib in Las Vegas, Nevada and from other locations throughout the world. In all cases the hardware/server responded properly so that means to simplify it, Apache and "other software stuff" aka "services" were not running. I never tried to reach the Forums via a "proxy" but that would have been another way to diagnose the issue. Naturally, I could reach all my other sites and I always test with Google. This tells me that my internet connection aka ISP is working properly.

Generally, when you ban a forum member, you don't go to the trouble of producing a 404 for the banned member so, please don't worry about that.

IMHO, extended "outages" should always be posted on Facebook so the "natives" don't go nutso. /lol /joke

/Just my 2 cents worth and I'm not a member of Team ECF.

:)

EDITED for clarity.

Last edited:

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
As a (retired) system administrator, I know that communication to your user community must be a high priority.

Here, copy and paste this on your alternative channels of communication (FB, Twit, G+, etc.):
"We are aware of the the problem and are currently working to correct it."

Simple... the admins gotta do it before starting to troubleshoot. Takes 10 seconds.

Oh, and @retired1 and entire crew, absolutely wonderful job done on the whole site migration!

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Thanks team ECF for brining the site live!

Web site "outages" happen to every single web site on the internet. What we call "uptime" is never 100%. Period. Sometimes just a few minutes and sometimes for days :) It seems for me, they usually happened at 2:00 AM and I was woken from a sound sleep to fix it. Not fun when that beeper blasts away and your SO threatens to ..... /lol

IMHO, extended "outages" should always be posted on Facebook so the "natives" don't go nutso. /lol /joke

/Just my 2 cents worth and I'm not a member of Team ECF.

:)

Too late for most of us, and we can't blame ECF for it, either :D

Reactions: bigbells
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread