Provari 3 battery life indicator inaccurate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
so aw imr's is what everyone is using in 18350?

They are the best 350s around atm.

I run 18350s exclusively in my out and about ProVaris.

18W is going to drain those little guys pretty quick. But that would be the case with any mod at that power level.

Last edited:

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
I'm really thinking of buying a p3, but have a few questions. basically I would only want to run it in 18350 as I like small setups. I also vape my v4's at around 1.3-1.4 ohms at around 18w.

battery life expectancy?
iq issues? been reading a lot of reports of people having issues with the p3

I think for the power you require you may want to consider another device other than the P3. The
P3 is by far the best device for low to mid power users.
The build quality is outstanding , customer service is better than the build quality.
The issue that you face is that the battery IQ will stop you from getting the max output on any battery. This means that you will need to use a ton of batteries to vape the 10 plus MLS daily @ 18 watts.
18 watts is the very high of the P3 and unless you up the OHMS to 2 + you are not going to get any longevity. You may have issues with burnt or dry hits.
I know many others will argue but I own 3/2.5 Provari's and the P3. When I was vaping at 11-13 watts they were all my go to device. Since my vaping style has changed they no longer suit my needs. At 18 watts with a 1.4 ohm build you are top of what the P3 has to offer as far as power.
Being that you like smallish devices I would recommend the SX Mini. Same height , body is the size of an 18650 battery. Slightly smaller than 18350 mode. Price is the same and the technology is much better in my opinion. The build quality is on par with the Provari. One year warranty.
I own both so I can speak about both from experience. The SX mini has been as flawless as the. P3 and has a 60 watt max. I vape 1-1.2 ohm at 18 -22 watts and I go 12 hrs a day on 1 18650. I can't do that on the P3 at 18 watts.
The new version also has temp control technology. From everything I have read that will become a very important measure of safety in the near future.
Good luck with your purchase.
PS. You will also loose the boost feature of the P3. Anything over 15 watts and boost looses its ability to function.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

Kasanova

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2014
Wiggles, NJ
This is all bull...., you buy multiple devices that cost $130+ and are suppose to be technologically advanced and they only use about 40% of any battery that you insert in it. All provari's I have, from the V1 to the P3 all cuts off the battery at about 3.7-3.8v. Its just frustrating that we spend all this money and we cannot enjoy the device for long period of times. My Sigelei 50w VR2 at 40w lasts me mostly all day and its a single 18650 battery as well, when empty that battery is cut off at 3.3v, My P3 in 18650 mode vaping at about 15.6-17w barley lasts till 2pm when it indicates that it is empty. I'll tell you this right now, this is the last time I will invest in company that is too safe with its devices and deems their customers stupid. How the hell does multiple customers have the same problem and you blame it on a spring or the batteries? Really? Either fix this issue with a new firmware upgrade, or you will have a bunch of agitated customers.

Kasanova

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2014
Wiggles, NJ
1. Yes, I maintain all my products in top notch condition.
2. I understand how batteries work, but how the Provari shows the percentage is just confusing.
3. No need to contact them, since they are blaming the problem on a spring or defective batteries. And I doubt all my batteries are defective. And the problem is not just with me, is with many and I mean many users I have seen in this Sub-Forum.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
2. I understand how batteries work, but how the Provari shows the percentage is just confusing.
3. No need to contact them, since they are blaming the problem on a spring or defective batteries. And I doubt all my batteries are defective. And the problem is not just with me, is with many and I mean many users I have seen in this Sub-Forum.

I take note of your opinion...

And I disagree with it, and your methodology of fixing it.

Problems with any fine product can occur, and can also be fixed.

Good Luck, Jim

TFL!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Chatfield, MN, USA
Kasanova

Take a breath and relax. We are trying to help you here.
Please read post 10 in your other thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/664683-provaris-too-safe.html#post15565592 and try the same thing I did on the bottom of my post. I may help you under stand how the P3 works. The P3 delivers a constant amp, wattage out of you device. If there is not a enough voltage left on your battery to provide the buck system to get it to that wattage It will reed empty.
This the best way I cam explain it. If you don't under stand this I don't know how to help you under stand the P3
Sorry

redordead

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2014
tenerife
I think for the power you require you may want to consider another device other than the P3. The
P3 is by far the best device for low to mid power users.
The build quality is outstanding , customer service is better than the build quality.
The issue that you face is that the battery IQ will stop you from getting the max output on any battery. This means that you will need to use a ton of batteries to vape the 10 plus MLS daily @ 18 watts.
18 watts is the very high of the P3 and unless you up the OHMS to 2 + you are not going to get any longevity. You may have issues with burnt or dry hits.
I know many others will argue but I own 3/2.5 Provari's and the P3. When I was vaping at 11-13 watts they were all my go to device. Since my vaping style has changed they no longer suit my needs. At 18 watts with a 1.4 ohm build you are top of what the P3 has to offer as far as power.
Being that you like smallish devices I would recommend the SX Mini. Same height , body is the size of an 18650 battery. Slightly smaller than 18350 mode. Price is the same and the technology is much better in my opinion. The build quality is on par with the Provari. One year warranty.
I own both so I can speak about both from experience. The SX mini has been as flawless as the. P3 and has a 60 watt max. I vape 1-1.2 ohm at 18 -22 watts and I go 12 hrs a day on 1 18650. I can't do that on the P3 at 18 watts.
The new version also has temp control technology. From everything I have read that will become a very important measure of safety in the near future.
Good luck with your purchase.
PS. You will also loose the boost feature of the P3. Anything over 15 watts and boost looses its ability to function.

Sent from my iPhone
Why would I get dry hits!? doesn't make any sense at all.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

Sorry I must have been on another planet lately. I'm sure Provape would love to know where the many many users are of the P3 having issues with the batteries. I have the P3 and P3 TI and I've tested the batteries several times when the P3 shows dead and they read 3.3 volts which is normal. For the P3 to shut down with a battery reading 3.7 or above I certainly feel the batteries are not up to par at all. There is a P3 thread with over 13,000 posts and believe or not I've read most of them and the issue of many many users having that problem has not ever come up. I'd suggest you visit the thread and post your complaint. Provape monitors that thread and if anyone has any sort of issue they are the first to request a PM so the problem can be fixed.

I have to question you owning a P1, 2.0, 2.5, and a P3 which all have the same issue. All of them have a full 1 year warranty and why continue to buy Provari's if you are having the same problem?

Post your complaint here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/592747-official-provari-3-thread-p3.html

Reactions: Jethead

Vaporlass

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2011
Texas
I have 4 Provaris and they do NOT require weekly maintenance. I've dropped mine on our concrete floors and they all survive -so its definitely an excellent piece of machinery and exactly why I bought mine cuz Im a clumsy klutz :) I do have 1 one that I have to remove the battery and reinsert because battery light will flash at about 3/4 empty. I actually like what I think of as a warning flash :) I only use the button top AV IMR high drain, some are two years old but still charging. Provaris are built tough and are most reliable that I have bought. I haven't tried the Vamo so can't compare.

pho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Belgium
Just want to chime in; I have the same issue as Kasanova; my P3 consistently reports batteries as being empty at or slightly above the 3.7V mark. I only started noticing this when I got a new charger recently which has a reading of current voltage, and it seemed strange that the "empty" batteries from my P3 were always 3.7V and the ones from my old provaris were really depleted at 3.3-3.4V.
--> extra test; i used the "empty" batteries from the P3 further with the old provaris and they happily vaped until they were dead until they reached 3.3-3.4V

I reported this to Provape and they arranged for an RMA. I've recently got it back but I had no info about what they might have found or anything. So in my support ticket I asked what they found/if they fixed the problem and got the answer that "the unit was just really dirty and they replaced some kind of pin (I think the internal one) but otherwise it performed fine". Ehm, okay.
I tried it out (with all new AW IMR 18650-2200 batteries) and my issue was not resolved.
I'm not one to give up so I kept complaining in the ticket that my problem was still there. Just now, they offered to send me a new battery from Samsung that they are using that seems to "resolve this problem", and asked me to test that out.

To that, I asked:
Just to be clear; so if this proves to be the case, it's not just my unit that has this behavior, but ALL the P3 units?
I'd rather get a new P3 that works with my current set of batteries instead of having to re-invest in an all new battery arsenal :( (I just bought 8 new AW IMR 18650s to replace my old lot)

The reply (I don't feel comfortable quoting people, even if it's from a support ticket, but just so that I don't misrepresent anything, I will):
No, no. This is not all P3. We are finding people that choose to use the two extension rings and a 18650 battery, are sometimes getting this error. It's a combination of things, but we are finding these new batteries to be helpful. Nothing is wrong with the device itself. The way you choose to vape, is showing inconsistent battery life with the batteries you are using. If you had a 18490 battery and used one extension ring, you would not be seeing this problem. :) It's a weird concept but we are getting to the bottom of it! Also, don't forget about those older ProVaris, they need batteries too! :)
I will have a new battery sent out to you today, and would love to hear from you and the progress in about two weeks!

So, yeah. It seems to me that they DO know about this issue but are not ready/not willing to admit this is an actual flaw. So if you are an 18650 AW IMR user, I guess the message is "get new batteries". Sigh. I thought the AW IMR ones WERE the approved batteries.
I do want to point out that I am very pleased with Provape's support department who have always been friendly and helpful with this situation (my ticket), but I must admit I'm a bit disappointed to have this kind of issue with the new "flagship product".

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
So, yeah. It seems to me that they DO know about this issue but are not ready/not willing to admit this is an actual flaw. So if you are an 18650 AW IMR user, I guess the message is "get new batteries". Sigh. I thought the AW IMR ones WERE the approved batteries.
I do want to point out that I am very pleased with Provape's support department who have always been friendly and helpful with this situation (my ticket), but I must admit I'm a bit disappointed to have this kind of issue with the new "flagship product".

I don't know what to say as I have two P3's and both work great with the AW 18650 batteries from Provape. I did notice the IQ was lower using the 18650 mode. I'll get a 70-75 reading with the 18650's and 85 and up on the 18490's and 18350's.

pho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Belgium
I don't know what to say as I have two P3's and both work great with the AW 18650 batteries from Provape. I did notice the IQ was lower using the 18650 mode. I'll get a 70-75 reading with the 18650's and 85 and up on the 18490's and 18350's.
I'm not saying they don't work. They just display as being "empty" when they're really not. Proof being that I can keep vaping the "empty batteries" in my old provaris for an extra day.
Just out of curiosity: have you measured what the remaining voltage in your AW 18650 batteries is after your P3 says they are empty?

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Just out of curiosity: have you measured what the remaining voltage in your AW 18650 batteries is after your P3 says they are empty?

I haven't on the 18650's as they were lasting for a day and a half. I have on the 18490 and 18350 and they show 3.3 volts on my 2.5.

pho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Belgium
I haven't on the 18650's as they were lasting for a day and a half. I have on the 18490 and 18350 and they show 3.3 volts on my 2.5.
Okay. Well I've not been able to test 18490/18350 batteries since I don't have them, but it's consistent with all my (genuine) AW IMR 18650 batteries. I get decent amount of wear (also about a day to day and a half) out of them, but I should be able to get more, as is the case with my older provaris, which is my point.
Other than that I love my P3. Maybe time to step down to 18490s.

Reactions: Pinggolfer

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Okay. Well I've not been able to test 18490/18350 batteries since I don't have them, but it's consistent with all my (genuine) AW IMR 18650 batteries. I get decent amount of wear (also about a day to day and a half) out of them, but I should be able to get more, as is the case with my older provaris, which is my point.
Other than that I love my P3. Maybe time to step down to 18490s.
Voltage/Watts setting?

Tank/dripper?

Prebuilt/or handbuilt?

Resistance of coil?

Thanks, Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread