Attack of the (Kayfun v4) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
101Vape.com has a parts kit for $5.99 that contains most of the parts people lose during assembly as well as all the o-rings you need to maintain the KV4. I have one on the way after losing the insulator #11 while washing in the sink!

Kayfun V4 Parts Kit/ Rebuild Kit - 101 Vape

kayfun-v4-parts-kit-rebuild-kit.jpg

Reactions: Sun Valley

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
OK, so I'm thinking about getting a clone of this rta, but I do not want to read all of he pages in this monster thread. Can someone please just sum it up for me, and tell me what are the best clones and who to stay away from. I keep hearing either Tobecco, or Infinite. ?

Tobeco.

I started modding the springs a bit on a few of my KF v4's. I filed down the spring ends so the sit flatter on the contacts. One of the spring ends was snipped and the sharp end was sticking up where it would contact the atomizer. So far, the ones I modded have been steady.

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
OK, so I'm thinking about getting a clone of this RTA, but I do not want to read all of he pages in this monster thread. Can someone please just sum it up for me, and tell me what are the best clones and who to stay away from. I keep hearing either Tobecco, or Infinite. ?

I'm not sure if it matters anymore. I think cloners have learnt from their initial mistakes of a few months back. The only one I am sure to avoid is anything from FastTech with red orings.

Tomorrow I will test an unnamed clone from Gearbest priced at $14.99. It looks like it will be good and I will report back here once I've put 20ml through it. First impressions are excellent, and I'm pretty sure the tank is leak proof cos I've put 10ml through it on a Goblin.

Expect any clone to be drenched in machine oil and need a complete strip down and thorough clean before using. Refer to post above for assembly diagram. In my experience, orings can be left in place for cleaning but be sure to remove #13 from #14. Whilst cleaning, carefully inspect the juice flow channels and ensure there are no metal shavings in place, and that the base of juice channels are free from burrs.

Unless you are desperately unlucky, any clone is OK with minor probs confined to orings, usually #16.

Reactions: capthook

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
Expect any clone to be drenched in machine oil and need a complete strip down and thorough clean before using.

This should include boiling the unit in soapy water IMO.
I made the mistake of NOT boiling 1 of my recent clone purchases, just washed/scrubbed it a few times.
Took like 70ml through it to get the machine oil taste out.
1) Completely disassemble unit
2) Wash/scrub all parts in hot water and dish washing liquid with a small toothbrush.
2a) poke through all holes (a toothpick works well) to make sure clear
3) Rinse
4) Boil parts (Orings can be left out) for 5-10 min in water with dish washing liquid.
5) Rinse
6) Repeat 4&5 if you want to be sure (recommended)

Too much? Not if you HATE the taste of machine oil like I do!

Reactions: HDMontana

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
I have a GB sku 114493101, think it was like $16.00 or some such. Works fine now but I had to take 0.016" off of #7 so I could fully tighten #9 w/o the juice control ring seizing up.

ETA It was a stinking mess as delivered. The rancid fish oil they call machining fluid was hell to get rid of.

Reactions: HDMontana

HDMontana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2014
Montana
It's weird how some of these clones come drenched with oil and some don't. None of my 3 Tobeco clones had oil on them. I was worried about my Lemo 2 after reading about how much oil was on them. When it showed up, I could not smell or see any oil. I always give the new tanks a dawn dish soap bath anyway.

HD

BicStic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
Switzerland
So on the third day of use my FT 316 started leaking out the air holes. A quick search told me number 9 might be loose. I took it apart and it was slightly loose, about 1/4 of a turn. Put it back together and it still leaked. Replaced number 16 oring. Seemed to work fine for a hour or two. Laid it down and it leaked out overnight. Thought I may have a bad oring on the tank since it is slightly gurguly after a few minutes. Put on the clear tank, still leaks. Not sure, but it looks like juice seeps from between 1 and 5. Not sure what to try next. I tried to search the forum but did not get far.
Thanks for any help you might have.

Stiksave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Lancaster, NY
Last edited:

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Yes, I have a bag of 50 12 x 1.5 orings. I have a FT version A as well. It leaks. I also tried 10 wraps of cotton thread and then an oring but it was too big. Unwrapped it to 5 wraps and still too big to fully open JC. Looking at the diagram maybe I will try to replace 18 and see what happens.

Take the base off and make sure the build deck is sitting flat on the juice control/AFC ring.. My blue Tobeco once in awhile doesnt seat all the way down and juice will seep into it and leak.. I had to put it back together like 3 times after rewicking it the other day and FINALLY I got it to go down straight and sit flat with no gaps..

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Yes, I have a bag of 50 12 x 1.5 orings. I have a FT version A as well. It leaks. I also tried 10 wraps of cotton thread and then an oring but it was too big. Unwrapped it to 5 wraps and still too big to fully open JC. Looking at the diagram maybe I will try to replace 18 and see what happens.
#36 has the ability to make a leaker out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread