RDA Infinite CLT V3 vs. Mutation X V3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Interesting trick I noticed for people complaining about the CLT v3 drip tip options. The sleeve for the wide open drop tip on the CLT v3 will hold a mutation x v2 drip tip friction fit (no oring) perfectly. That's the only way I use my CLT now.

Got a pic? I was wondering that as well. I have a friction fit tip that I use on my Freakshow. I wonder if they're all the same diameter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Bump

I'm still debating. And now I'm leaning more towards the mutation x because it's smaller and the place I want to get it from has it in black lol.

But I'm wondering why the infinite has been said to have better flavor when it appears that the chamber is much smaller in the mutation than the infinite.

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
What color did you get it in? I want black if getting the non project Subohm edition but in some pictures the logo looks gold and I hate black and gold.

Do you mean one row in single coil mode or dual coil mode with one row on each side?

And how's the leaking? With all those airholes it looks like it would leak easily.

One more question, sorry, but what other attys have you used? I'm just trying to gauge what your opinion of great flavor is.

Yeah I wondered the same. I saw pictures of the black ones and some looked to have gold lettering and other more pronounced stainless look to them. I emailed a vendor that I ordered mine from and he confirmed the ones he has at least are engraved with a stainless look. That gold look don't look right to me.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Yeah I ended up getting the Troll. Hope the flavor is decent on it. Now I'm thinking I should of got a Haze clone but the Troll has that beat with the juice well size I think. There's just so many options out there now. I was initially looking for a cloud chaser rda that still has good flavor and deep juice well. I know you can't have both amazing flavor and crazy vapor in one rda and they are sort of like a trade off, but I'm still searching.

So far the Hobo is my favorite rda. It has great flavor, great vapor, and the deepest juice well I've seen because of its detachable wall. My only gripes about this one is the stripping grub screws and the fact that you are limited to builds somewhat and have to build a certain way as to not melt the insulator. (though I still seem to melt the insulator a little every time I dry burn)

Last edited:

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
20141230_170731.jpg

If it's flavor you're after. Go with the CLT so you can make wider coils. The longer the coil, the more surface heating area. By squeezing the wires together. More heat builds up and scorches the delicate flavoring compounds.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
View attachment 420471

If it's flavor you're after. Go with the CLT so you can make wider coils. The longer the coil, the more surface heating area. By squeezing the wires together. More heat builds up and scorches the delicate flavoring compounds.

Does the clt have a bigger deck then the mx?
And I thought that contact coils made for more even and faster heating.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Does the clt have a bigger deck then the mx?
And I thought that contact coils made for more even and faster heating.

You're right on the contact coil. It worked great for yesterday's devices. Now with these high wattage boxes. We can design bigger coils, and dial in that sweet spot. :) I don't like scorching my flavor.

So I just got my Mutation X V3 in the mail, and I already own the CLT V3, so I can actually write up a comparison!

Sadly, to be honest, I probably won't be able to reveal much. From my experience, both are basically the same in cloud production. Absolutely incredible, to be sure... some of the best clouds I've personally ever gotten (disclaimer: I'm not an expert with clouds... my RDAs before the CLT and Mutation were the Vulcan, UD Igo-W Plus, and a Stillare clone, so... you know... grain of salt and all that)...

And I have the same impression in terms of taste. But then again, that could also be my set-up. I'm a creature of habit. As I've stated elsewhere on these forums, I always use my go-to build:

24ga kanthal (Vapowire), 1/8 mm diameter screwdriver to coil the wire, 5/4 wrap, dual-coil, Ko Gen Dho cotton

And my juices are generally max VG from Boca Vapes (although now that I no longer live in Florida I've been branching out, and I currently also have SB Mother's Milk and Cosmic Fog Kryptonite), 4nic (although that will be 3nic very soon, as soon as I finish the last of my 4nic juice... the Mother's Milk is 3nic).

So perhaps the reason for the uniformity in my experience with flavor is at least in part due to my build and juice use.

I did notice slightly better flavor on Project Subohm's Swirlfish, but not that much better.

What I figure so far is that having both insane, competition-level clouds and having serious, incredible flavor isn't really possible, at least right now. You're going to sacrifice some of one to have more of the other. Oddly, though, I'm okay with that, because I find that I enjoy relaxing with my RDAs. And yes, I have a Kanger Subtank. Honestly, I should probably fire it up again, but I'm saving it for my first variable voltage/wattage mod (still not 100% sure what I'm going to get). And I really enjoy my RDAs and don't find the constant dripping to be all that annoying. Granted, I don't currently vape when driving, so that's partly why.

The Mutation is on my Raijin, because they're both black, and it looks really cool. The CLT only comes in stainless steel (right now), but it's on my brass Nemesis. The Swirlfish (which also comes in only stainless steel) is on my Maraxus.

So I guess it all depends on what you want, and probably depends on lot on aesthetics, too. If you want a black one, then get the Mutation, as it actually comes in black. If you don't care so much, get both! I'm not sure I'm capable of recommending one over the other, because I love them both and they both perform wonderfully for me.

So that's what I can say about them...

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I actually already got a Troll v1.5 and I love it. Best clouds so far, coming from Freakshow and Hobo, and actually comparable flavor with two air slots open. And I just started doing a slanted build after watching Trevor Jones' video on YouTube to match the air slots, and now the flavor is even better! I'm even using it wide open! You should really try this build.

I went with the Troll for the deep juice well and less leaking reports than the Mutation X. Mine hasnt really leaked at all.

BTW the CLT V3 does come in black as well.

Here's pics of my build:

308ffd033f6c03a6c5d123d8776dae80.jpg

bfbd29177a7a5fe0ba9788e9fae66398.jpg

MagicJosh

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2015
Boston, MA, USA
So the freakshow is my first and only rda, and while I love it for flavor and vapor I am just thinking about my next rda.

While I'm using the freakshow correctly and not really having any leaking issues, I am looking for an rda that would have less potential to leak, especially in my pocket.

Also while the vapor production is "not too shabby" from the freakshow, I want my next one to at least be on the same level in terms of the vapor production.

And lastly, I do prefer flavor over vapor.

I'm looking at either the Infinite CLT V3 or the Mutation X V3 Project Subohm edition (both sold out everywhere atm of course).

Thoughts?

I think the mutation x v3 regular version is the same as the Mutation X V3 Project Subohm edition. Whats the difference?

WulfenBlade

Oct 7, 2014
Canton, IL
As far as I've seen, MagicJosh, the only difference is branding. Also, I don't know if this thread is still relevant, but my vote will go to the mutation. I have several v2 and v3, I personally think they have great flavor. maybe not when compared to the derringer or mini freakshows, but I love the mutation. Has a nice deep juice well, easy to build on, and ive never had a leakage issue with any of mine that wasn't caused by me overdripping. My only complaint is that ive yet to find anyone making tips that will fit without the adapter on the v3, and I hate that adapter.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
As far as I've seen, MagicJosh, the only difference is branding. Also, I don't know if this thread is still relevant, but my vote will go to the mutation. I have several v2 and v3, I personally think they have great flavor. maybe not when compared to the derringer or mini freakshows, but I love the mutation. Has a nice deep juice well, easy to build on, and ive never had a leakage issue with any of mine that wasn't caused by me overdripping. My only complaint is that ive yet to find anyone making tips that will fit without the adapter on the v3, and I hate that adapter.

Since I started this thread I got the Troll, Archon, and Kennedy comp. The Troll gets great flavor even with chuff cap and wide open for some reason. I can get good flavor on the Archon too but with holes closed off. I'm still not convinced that the mutation x gives good flavor. Haven't tried it but from everything I've read and heard, most say it's primarily for cloud chasing. And deep well? The Troll has somewhere between a 5-6 mm juice well which is one of the deepest in the game. Only thing that beats it right now is the El Carbon with 7 mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread