Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
The membership is notified of planned outages. Considering the server team is a separate component and does not have access to Facebook or Twitter, hiccups like that of last night will most likely not be addressed via social media.
That approach should be reconsidered. A tiny sliver of time from one or two people to allow 221,000 forum members the opportunity to be informed is very reasonable.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
That approach should be reconsidered. A tiny sliver of time from one or two people to allow 221,000 forum members the opportunity to be informed is very reasonable.

I often think the same about posts that use only an acronym for reference.

I look at many dozens of posts in ECF in any given day. Try as I might, I can't be on top of each and every acronym all the time. I find myself searching multiple posts in a thread to find precisely what is being referred to. Often the effort required is compounded by similar references and such.

It would be helpful if posters would early in a post make a one-time effort to spell out the subject reference.

I suspect if I'm having to search around, many others are as well. 10 seconds of effort by a poster may save others considerable time.

Judgment needs to come into play. I suppose that every initial instance of VG or PG need not be spelled out, but it wouldn't detract.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
hiccups like that of last night will most likely not be addressed via social media
The message of something like We are working on the problem.
would be a lot less jarring than 404 page not found,

You know......many peeps work "alternate" shifts and their schedule makes them use normal sleeping hours as working hours. If their desire is to surf ECF while they are at home and they see 404 page not found they have no recourse. One redirect page in the site that can be put up as the main page during an outage is really not a big deal to do.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
DIdn't get the 404 page - it just wouldn't load, so if there were an alternate page, I'd suppose that wouldn't load either. When I tried out other sites that worked perfectly, it was pretty obvious, and I didn't need a separate screen or message to tell me (not that I have Twitter or FB anyway), that there was something wonky going on with the ECF side - something that they've always fixed in the past. I also knew that they had just revamped the whole site, so I've been expecting a few glitches. So seriously, was it really that big a deal? :blink: To me it just means more play time on Pogo. :laugh:

@Dusty_D ...
punishment-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

:lol:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I got a Madrid (I think) cloudfare error stating the server was up but a server side script was overloading the system and the database was probably inaccessible. It also contained a hint to the site admins to run heavy scripts on a subdomain not proxied by cloudfare to avoid global down time.

Pretty helpful message although not sure if accurate :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Thanks team ECF for brining the site live!

Web site "outages" happen to every single web site on the internet. What we call "uptime" is never 100%. Period. Sometimes just a few minutes and sometimes for days :) It seems for me, they usually happened at 2:00 AM and I was woken from a sound sleep to fix it. Not fun when that beeper blasts away and your SO threatens to ..... /lol

In this case, I ran a trace route and ping from my crib in Las Vegas, Nevada and from other locations throughout the world. In all cases the hardware/server responded properly so that means to simplify it, Apache and "other software stuff" aka "services" were not running. I never tried to reach the Forums via a "proxy" but that would have been another way to diagnose the issue. Naturally, I could reach all my other sites and I always test with Google. This tells me that my internet connection aka ISP is working properly.

Generally, when you ban a forum member, you don't go to the trouble of producing a 404 for the banned member so, please don't worry about that.

IMHO, extended "outages" should always be posted on Facebook so the "natives" don't go nutso. /lol /joke

/Just my 2 cents worth and I'm not a member of Team ECF.

:)

EDITED for clarity.

Yep, ditto on all that... I ran TRACERT and PING and the www for ECF was working just fine, so I figured it must be something to do with that mammoth DB... But I also agree, a little note on FB would have saved me a lot of F5'ing and frustration -- and apparently a lot of other peoples' frustration -- many, many msgs on @ecigaretteforum at Twitter, why's it down, when's it coming back, etc etc etc...

Andria

ETA: one "upside" to all that.. I discovered that Win 8.1 CAN do a "command prompt" window, and how to do it! YAY!

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

I look at many dozens of posts in ECF in any given day. Try as I might, I can't be on top of each and every acronym all the time. I find myself searching multiple posts in a thread to find precisely what is being referred to. Often the effort required is compounded by similar references and such.

It would be helpful if posters would early in a post make a one-time effort to spell out the subject reference.

I suspect if I'm having to search around, many others are as well. 10 seconds of effort by a poster may save others considerable time.

Judgment needs to come into play. I suppose that every initial instance of VG or PG need not be spelled out, but it wouldn't detract.

Many have had the same problem, Cool. If I may, here's a suggestion:

Acronyms - What does THAT mean?? | E-Cigarette Forum

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

We used to be able to just hover over an unknown acronym to see the definition; it was a very helpful feature. I'm very sorry to see it gone. I know that we should avoid acronyms, but please do not expect anyone to spell out propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine every time they discuss e-liquids. :) Or type rebuildable atomizer instead of RBA... It's just not going to happen.

There is also this link in NM (new members forum ;)):

Vaping slang and acronyms | E-Cigarette Forum

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
We used to be able to just hover over an unknown acronym to see the definition; it was a very helpful feature. I'm very sorry to see it gone. I know that we should avoid acronyms, but please do not expect anyone to spell out propylene glycol and vegetable glycerine every time they discuss e-liquids. :) Or type rebuildable atomizer instead of RBA... It's just not going to happen.

There is also this link in NM (new members forum ;)):

Vaping slang and acronyms | E-Cigarette Forum
Hmmm.....
Yeah.
This thread in XenForo-community help implies that there's a workaround, but I don't have a login (and don't see a need to create one for myself right now) so I can't quite tell. Maybe the ECF-code-monkeys can check and see:
XF Addons | XenForo Community see post #8
Someone said they either used HTML or another add-on that's sort-of close.... or maybe I couldn't follow it properly. There's no official add-on yet that I could find. Might be interesting to write one. Anyway, several xenforo users have mentioned it so it's probably on the to-do list if it isn't already done. I'm having a rough time sorting through all the "how do you abbreviate 'xenforo'?" discussions vs the "abbreviations addon for xenforo" discussions. ;)

Reactions: Katya

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
We used to be able to just hover over an unknown acronym to see the definition; it was a very helpful feature. I'm very sorry to see it gone.

Me...I'm kinda' glad the acronym underlining/hovering is gone.

After about the millionth time of seeing "heads" underlined...it began to become a little distracting...:shock:

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
but I don't have a login (and don't see a need to create one for myself right now)

Access to the Resource Manager (where the add ons are located) also requires that you have a license associated with your account.

Currently, there's no addon to replace the "dictionary" that we had on vB. It's on the list, though.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Access to the Resource Manager (where the add ons are located) also requires that you have a license associated with your account.

Currently, there's no addon to replace the "dictionary" that we had on vB. It's on the list, though.
Yeah, but you would have such a login/license for your stuff.
I just mean that I tried to view post #8 where he said he did something in HTML that helped...but I can't view the image on the xenforo community help. It pops up for a login page to view the attacked image in the disucssion.

I don't care about having access to the actual addons. I just wanted to view the image in his discussion. It appears he has a workaround (post 8 in that link) but I can't tell for sure since I can't view it. So perhaps you could view what workaround he came up with since you have xenforo and license. (collective you)

Just a thought.

But yeah, no actual addon. :(

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I sure hope the color scheme is still on the list - not a workaround through your browser - PLEASE say it is gaining in its priority...
It is most definitely still on the list. Do not fret. :)

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I sure hope the color scheme is still on the list - not a workaround through your browser - PLEASE say it is gaining in its priority...

Yeah, I've been using Color That Site! and it's okay, but it's limited. There are just some elements you can't affect. So I am also raising my hand for a full WYSIWYG color editor or editable skins or something.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
When a thread is closed/locked the little lock icon is located on the far right of the threads (over by replies and views).

Is it possible to have that located on the left side (like where the indicator dot currently is)?

When viewing new posts I typicall look only to the left to see thread titles. Several times already I've opened a thread (specifically in the classifieds) and read the first couple of pages only to discover on the last post that the item is sold and the thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread