Alien Wire/Coil Build anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxymandias

Mar 5, 2015
Houston, TX, USA
So I can learn how to make most coils on Instagram, but one that I can't seem to find any info on is alien coils (or alien wire?). They look like someone did a fused clapton with larger gauge wire, decored the clapton, inserted one smaller gauge wire, then somehow compressed and distorted the loose side of the clapton. If anyone has a tutorial, or even a vague explanation of how to make this amazing-looking wire, please share!
Pic isn't related, just for fun. These are some wires I've accumulated over the last month or so, but haven't had time to wrap yet.
Thanks!

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 3,720

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
From left to right why dont you tell the folks what those wires are. I love exotic builds, fused claptons are my go to. They just pump flavour. I like the first two wires on the right hand side, they look different then normal twisted wire. I also like the other ones, you spaced your clapton it seems? I currently have three 26g core wrapped with a 28g in my Twisted Messes RDA, mesmerizing.

Oxymandias

Mar 5, 2015
Houston, TX, USA
Sure man, Asking a builder to talk about his wire and coils is like asking a fat kid to talk about cake =)
In order from left to right:
1) 5 loop vertibraid. My first try after watching a tutorial on Youtube by Build Mode guys. .... gave me blisters on 3 of my fingers! 30g or 28g Nichrome (sorry was a while ago
2) (if memory serves) 28g nichrome80 claptoned with 32g nichrome and 36g Kanthal parallel
3) 3 strands of 30g Nichrome twisted, then claptoned with 36g Nichrome
4) Single strand of 24g Nichrome80 claptoned with 32g N80
5) Single strand of 24g Nichrome80 claptoned with 36g N80
6) This MIGHT be a single strand of 30g N80 claptoned with 36g N80? If not then a single 28 core.

Yeah man ever since I started making more intricate builds, things just took on a while new level of interest. There's something magical that happens when you finish a coil, get it all dry-burned, wicked and juiced, and take the first vape. ahhhhhhh (that "magic" might just be the universe whispering in my ear that I'm a loser and need to make some friends lol). Anyhoo, how bout that Twisted Messes RDA?! That thing is a BEAST. Love it so much. The deck space is probably what I appreciate most about it, I can make macro coils out of just about any wire and it fits with ease, top cap slides right on. So many of the other "cloud chasing" RDAs have like 1.5mm post holes and zero deck space. This thing makes much of what came before it look novice...

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Fused Claptons are my go-to as well. I've got a 2x26g n80 & 1x 24g A1 claptoned with 34g A1 in my mx v3. 6 wraps dual = .18 ohms of amazing flavor
Edit - BTW the alien wire has always been a pain in the **** for me. When I start re- wrapping the stretched coreless Clapton counter clockwise, I usually end up with a matrix style looking wrap like this:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I've actually heard that's how it's supposed to come out Tom, that you're supposed to straighten it from there. How people like BlueEyedGoon are able to get them so perfectly aligned is beyond me. His alien stovetops are flawless... Nonetheless, yours looks good! A pain in the *** maybe, but it looks like you're close!
I wish, they're supposed to come out with the alien shape rotating around the wire, like a Chinese staircase lanyard. One part of the loop is supposed to hook around the center wire while the alien shape stands out and rotates. The triple alien shape I get is something different on its own..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread