SXmini M Class (TEMP CONTROL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
The way the support guy was talking , it take 5 minutes to take apart the sx mini, fix the screen, and put it back together. If its that simple I am going to try an do it myself tonight. I will record myself doing so, so others can learn from what happends with me.

I don't think this device would have anything showing that I opened it or not. The ipv mini 2 didn't when I took it apart, and neither any other device. I know phones do, but I don't think the vapor device world is there yet, we will find out.

I am used to dealing with small electronics, being the RC quad/airplane hobby, so I have the small tools to do so. If I think I can do it safely, I will try and adjust the screen. If I doubt it any bit, I will just put the casing back on and send it back.

Vlad1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2014
Earth
Ya he just said he will correct it the same day he gets it. Its 5 min to open it up, the chip is screwed in and there is play in the holes.

Kinda want to open it up myself and do it, but don't want to lose my warranty if case something goes wrong.

Well if you do take it on yourself do it right and get a Torx T6 so as not to screw up the screw heads.

Reactions: Fir3b1rd

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
Well if you do take it on yourself do it right and get a Torx T6 so as not to screw up the screw heads.
Thank for that, I assume thats the only tool I need for the casing. Then whatever the screen is held on with.

Apparently a lot of the screens are crooked. Just watched Rip Trippers review of the device and when he holds his up to it, its crooked too.

Reactions: jmercury1

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
The SXmini's build quality is very good. The board is actually secured with screws, and is very neatly done. The build quality rivals many of the high-end mods I've owned over the years. Quite impressive for a production device. Here is a pic of the S Class internals posted by another member in the SXmini thread:

SXmini%20Internals_zpsrsahuaaz.jpg
Found it. If the M class looks exactly like this, I just have to unscrew the casing and move the board barely.

Reactions: Sgt. Pepper

dannyben

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2014
USA
Thanks man. It looks very easy, just like the guy from varitube said.

It's "possibly" not that easy. I looked at your pictures, and the screen appears to be slanted upwards (in the picture you are holding it horizontally with the fire button on the left), while the USB port is basically hitting the left or down side. As i pointed out, this is one single board (all attached) and if it was simply screwed in wrong the USB port would be off towards the top/right -- which is what led me to believe it is the actually screen on the board placed wrong. Hopefully there is enough play in the screw channels to adjust it without moving the bottom -- which you have no room to play is the USB cutout.

It might not bother you that much, but if you plan on selling later on (like you said) the buyer might object to this more then you.

Here's a better pic of the board so you know what you are up against....

sx350_J.jpg

Reactions: DP2Raja

jackmormon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Loving 26 gauge builds with the SX. Currently running a 7 wrap, 3mm ID coil with a base resistance of .073. I am NOT noticing any increased warm up times. Vapor is instant when hitting the fire button. However, increasing the J setting is needed. For example a .078 28G coil would get close to a temp limit of 430F with 25J after holding the fire button for 5 or 6 seconds. The 26G coil won't go above 330-340 at that J setting. Upping the J setting to 35 and now it approaches the temp ceiling. Will require some more (fun) experimenting.

Have only been playing with the 26G for a couple of days, but I don't think I will go back to 28 with the mini! Being able to build reasonable size coils with 26 is another win for the mini, IMO.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
What it really comes down to is I shouldn't have to send my brand new device back in to be worked on. Varitube should send all defective devices back to YIHI for them to fix and get their QC correct. I don't think I am going to ship it back. Basically what I am doing is paying for the device "new" then getting it refurbished.

Plus when a new mod comes out in 2-6 months thats better than this, Ill just sell this one and buy it.

So why not make sure your resale is high as possible and get it corrected by Varitube, as it costs you nothing but some time away from the device. The second owner won't be able to do that as easily. And it'll tame that bellyache once you get it back and it's not triggering your OCD or elevated expectations for a $200 mass market device purchased over the internet. :)

Seriously, what Varitube is doing is what 99.9% of the online vendors out there that aren't Amazon, Apple and Google require when something is defective.

wrice4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Texas
You're a better man than I. I wouldn't take the chance of opening up my SX mini, I would send it back for a new one but if you feel confident go for it

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

It's "possibly" not that easy. I looked at your pictures, and the screen appears to be slanted upwards (in the picture you are holding it horizontally with the fire button on the left), while the USB port is basically hitting the left or down side. As i pointed out, this is one single board (all attached) and if it was simply screwed in wrong the USB port would be off towards the top/right -- which is what led me to believe it is the actually screen on the board placed wrong. Hopefully there is enough play in the screw channels to adjust it without moving the bottom -- which you have no room to play is the USB cutout.

It might not bother you that much, but if you plan on selling later on (like you said) the buyer might object to this more then you.

Here's a better pic of the board so you know what you are up against....

sx350_J.jpg

So why not make sure your resale is high as possible and get it corrected by Varitube, as it costs you nothing but some time away from the device. The second owner won't be able to do that as easily. And it'll tame that bellyache once you get it back and it's not triggering your OCD or elevated expectations for a $200 mass market device purchased over the internet. :)

Seriously, what Varitube is doing is what 99.9% of the online vendors out there that aren't Amazon, Apple and Google require when something is defective.

From my understanding of the responses from varitube, its a quick easy fix and it seems to happen frequently, as in he has repaired quite a few like this. If this is the case then he states the board has a little play with with screw holes. I did some more research and feel confident in opening it up to just "look" at first. If I see that I can easily do it, then I will go ahead. If I have any doubt I will screw everything back and send it in. Again, I will only proceed if I feed 100% confident I can do it. From all of the internal pics so far, looks simple.

Thanks for the response and tip dannyben, I see exactly what you are talking about and I will see tonight if this is the case. Also, If you look at the pic with the power button on the left, I might be able to just loosen those 2 left screws a little and move it up barely enough that it would not affect the usb, but idk. We are seriously only talking about like a 1-2mm movement, which is very small. I can tell in your board pic, you sent, that the screw holes are oversized compared to the screws, I think it will work fine.

Croak, there are a lot of people out there that don't care as much about stuff like this than we do. Heck I broke my ipv mini 2 usb port within 2 weeks of buying it new, and sold it on ebay for $15 off what I paid for it new. They guy knew I broke it and said he didnt even care cuz he wasn't gonna use it anyways. What will prob end up happening is me keeping this device for a while and then selling it to a buddy of mine that won't care. My last 4 devices were all sold to my buddies. When I upgrade, they upgrade to my old devices, lol.

Again, I will record me doing it in case anyone else ever trys it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dems86

DonnyX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
Spotswood, New Jersey, United States
From my understanding of the responses from varitube, its a quick easy fix and it seems to happen frequently, as in he has repaired quite a few like this. If this is the case then he states the board has a little play with with screw holes. I did some more research and feel confident in opening it up to just "look" at first. If I see that I can easily do it, then I will go ahead. If I have any doubt I will screw everything back and send it in. Again, I will only proceed if I feed 100% confident I can do it. From all of the internal pics so far, looks simple.

Again, I will record me doing it in case anyone else ever trys it.
Good deal take some pictures I'm sure your not the first to get a crooked screen.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Yozhik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2015
Chicago, IL
There was some gunk though, especially between the wraps, and I guess that's what played a role in the resistance creep. Or... maybe because it formed a thin layer over the wire, it generated more heat quicker? Is that possible?

I'm skeptical about resistance creep, but my guess is the gunk could act as a heat insulator the more it builds up. Short of some chemist analyzing the gunk, we'll probably never have a precise answer on that.

Reactions: WideO
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread