Fix for the Kanger Subtank RBA dry hit problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
I started out enlarging the juice channels just a little bit. I eventually reached the size they are now. Even with the whole wick hanging out the bottom and cut flush, it still did not work right until I cut the dedicated air channel.

At first glance, it does look like this thing would flood and leak. When you look at the OCC coil heads, they are not much different. The wick comes out of the ends of the coil and then it is cut flush with the outside of the head. At this point, I have a coil build that is wrapped around a 3.0mm screwdriver and the whole wick is in those channels. I thought that might be too tight, but it is not. When I do a big lung hit and set the unit on my desk, as it wicks, I will see bubbles come up from the air channel.

I could do a Rip Trippers nickel rebuild of the OCC heads, but in Temp mode, the resistance is so low that one must have perfect connections. I feel that just pinching the end of the Ni200 between the end pin and the insulator is not good enough. It may be, but I just don't trust it. That was why I wanted to do my builds on the RDA. With these mods, I am finally happy with the RBA section of the Sub Tank Mini. I have refilled the tank 4 times since I finished the mods, and I have seen no signs of flooding or leaking. MikeVapes is supposed to do this to his RBA this evening. He has the ability to video all of it for his YouTube channel and I did not. He recently bought a Dremel tool and he is dying to use it. ;-)

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
If anyone is worried about messing up their RBA base, Myvaporstore (the only one I know of) sells the RBA base individually for the Subtank Mini.

The availability of the RBA section alone was a big factor in my decision to give this a try. That and the fact that I can always just use the OCC heads.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
The availability of the RBA section alone was a big factor in my decision to give this a try. That and the fact that I can always just use the OCC heads.

I am going to try this as soon as I get a one or two more decks. I ordered another mini so that may have to do for now. So far I really like the RBA base more than the OCC heads, but it could definitely benefit from some modding instead of some finicky wicking methods. It would be nice to just wick it and KNOW it will suffice. As it is now, I often feel a bit uneasy about taking huge hits becasue I just don't know when that bad one is coming -- but I know it will come.

Last edited:

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
As it is now, I often feel a bit uneasy about taking huge hits becasue I just don't know when that bad one is coming -- but I know it will come.

I could not have said that any better.

I just sat here and took 9 hits as big as I could in rapid succession. Not a hint of a dry hit. Full flavor. Good vapor production. I could have done more, but I got a nicotine rush and had to stop at that point.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

Favotank

Unresolved Status
Apr 27, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
a nice channel and reviews,are you only like kangerteck sir? what about aspire and yocan?

I have a couple of Nautilus tanks and the Subtank Mini. I enjoy dripping as well. I am not brand loyal. I only posted about the Kangertech Subtank modification, because I was not happy with the flavor I was getting from the RBA and decided that I could fix it myself. Once I was satisfied with the results, I realized that no one had done this before. Some had come close, but not to the extremes that I took it. I felt that I needed to share it with others, so they can all benefit from it.

I had not heard of Yocan until this morning. Your wickless technology is very interesting. I have not found it for sale anywhere in the United States, yet. I would love to get my hands on one of these tanks.

WilsonPhillips

Feb 26, 2015
I performed this modification on Monday. After using it for several days now, I can say without a doubt that it rocks. I have not had one drop of liquid leak out into my shirt pocket. I refill my tank about 4 to 5 times a day, and I have checked for any evidence of flooding each time, but I have found none. The flavor won't compare with my Aeolus RDA, but I could never expect any tank to do that. Still, the flavor is better than I ever hoped for it to be. I can chain vape it till my head spins and not get a dry hit.

I have had zero issues with getting good connections for use with Ni200 in Temp Limiting mode on my SX Mini M Class. It has been flawless. In fact, since I got it, I have not used any of the regular coil heads. I have only used Ni200 and only used the RBA module.

I am so happy with it now, that I ordered the Subtank Plus yesterday. I look forward to the extra juice capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread