Vaping at Disney (And Around Annoying Smokers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the least bit defensive. Just posting an observation based on your tone.

And your behavior HAS changed in their eyes. You used to be one of them but now you are an ex-smoker. They are merely doing what they have always done. If you hadn't found vaping, you would have been puffing away right along with them in the car and the smoking area.

Look, I am on your side with regard to your friends being boorish and mean-sprited. They acted like jerks and I would never have tolerated it without at least making my feelings known. There is not much you could have done in the car, as it wasn't yours, but I would have at least rolled the window down on my side and let the rain drip in.

I think they are threatened by the new you and secretly want you to fail and come back to the fold. Get some new friends or hang out with another group of current friends - these gals don't sound like true friends.

I just wanted to make clear…I was not being a bi--h to them…they were the ones treating me differently. It wasn't as if I came in sniffing about their smoking like some prissy granny. My tone on here was much different than my tone in person to them, because this is a relatively safe space. Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant.

As for the other stuff…hanging out at the vape shop last night, I told the folks there what happened and got pretty much a chorus of "oh, yeah…that's what happens." Which is BS! WHY does it have to be "us vs them"? As if quitting isn't difficult enough, now all your friends have to start acting like douchebags too?

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
And please don't misunderstand me either. My intentions here are not to be the least bit confrontational. I'm just sharing an outside and hopefully objective opinion. If you aren't giving off an anti-smoking vibe to them, then I did misinterpret your post, or maybe I assumed. I apologize for that.

Regardless, your friends are being jerks, and you now know what to expect from them. It seems that your choices are conflict or moving on (or limiting the situations where the conflict arises). It's shame, and I understand your disappointment.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
I can't believe how poorly your friends treated you, most smokers I know would never have been so rude smoking in a car with a person who has kicked the habit. I am truly blessed, my wife and I both quit smoking and started vaping at the same time, friends and relatives alike have only been supportive, only once have I ever heard a complaint, my brothers was vaping some foul smelling cigarette flavor and my sister asked if he could stop it was making her I'll, it was bad!! I however continued vaping bothering no one.

xxJollyRogerxx

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Cayman Islands
Sorry but they do not sound like real friends. "Real" friends wouldn't act like that ... I would reconsider how much of a "friend" they really are. My friends heck even some acquaintances act better than that around me. Usually they are making up some sexually oriented joke about the mod or stupid stuff that real friends would do!

I would just keep selling the benefits to switching to these individuals. If they don't want to at least give it a try, that's their prerogative, but if they see the positive changes in you it might be motivation to at least give it a try

One of my friends (the one I rode down with, who was smoking in the car) I have talked to about vaping. Because she asked me, because her husband was trying to switch to vaping, and because she expressed interest in making the switch. She wants to quit (or says she does) because she recently lost someone close to her to lung cancer, and we are both at the age where smoking is starting to give unpleasant physical symptoms. I gave her one of my old setups and some juice because she asked for them, she used it for a day, couldn't get it working to her satisfaction, I tried to trouble-shoot for her, but she ultimately gave it up as "too much trouble" and not satisfying. Which is her prerogative, as a grown adult. I have not mentioned it to her since then, and I didn't try to "sell" it to any of the others or really talk too much about it unless directly asked. I was pretty excited about vaping when I first started. To me, it was shockingly easy to make the switch from smoking to vaping, and I legitimately have not really wanted a cigarette since I picked up that first eGo back in October. I did talk about it to my smoking friends and encouraged them to try it…just because to me as someone who smoked for 27 years…it felt like a giant burden lifted off my back. I was free from it! It was so liberating! But I don't typically evangelize about it anymore. If someone asks, I'll happily expound upon the pleasures of vaping. But talking about it constantly and trying to get my friends to switch and telling them that smoking is "bad" seems to me to be unpleasant and not worth the trouble if they aren't receptive to the idea. I don't want to come off as "I'm doing this now, and you should be too!" I'm really just more like "I'm doing this, now, so grant me the courtesy that I've granted you and don't bug me about my choice of nicotine delivery system."

Overall, the major comment from that group of people (other than that it smelled and might be giving some of them a headache) was that it "looked dorky" and was a pretentious hipster habit. Personally, I'm middle aged, and my health is more important to me than being perceived as "cool". It might be more punk rock to smoke and not care about the consequences…but I have people depending on me and responsibilities now, and I have to think about something other than myself and whether or not I fit in I guess.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
One of my friends (the one I rode down with, who was smoking in the car) I have talked to about vaping. Because she asked me, because her husband was trying to switch to vaping, and because she expressed interest in making the switch. She wants to quit (or says she does) because she recently lost someone close to her to lung cancer, and we are both at the age where smoking is starting to give unpleasant physical symptoms. I gave her one of my old setups and some juice because she asked for them, she used it for a day, couldn't get it working to her satisfaction, I tried to trouble-shoot for her, but she ultimately gave it up as "too much trouble" and not satisfying. Which is her prerogative, as a grown adult. I have not mentioned it to her since then, and I didn't try to "sell" it to any of the others or really talk too much about it unless directly asked. I was pretty excited about vaping when I first started. To me, it was shockingly easy to make the switch from smoking to vaping, and I legitimately have not really wanted a cigarette since I picked up that first eGo back in October. I did talk about it to my smoking friends and encouraged them to try it…just because to me as someone who smoked for 27 years…it felt like a giant burden lifted off my back. I was free from it! It was so liberating! But I don't typically evangelize about it anymore. If someone asks, I'll happily expound upon the pleasures of vaping. But talking about it constantly and trying to get my friends to switch and telling them that smoking is "bad" seems to me to be unpleasant and not worth the trouble if they aren't receptive to the idea. I don't want to come off as "I'm doing this now, and you should be too!" I'm really just more like "I'm doing this, now, so grant me the courtesy that I've granted you and don't bug me about my choice of nicotine delivery system."

Overall, the major comment from that group of people (other than that it smelled and might be giving some of them a headache) was that it "looked dorky" and was a pretentious hipster habit. Personally, I'm middle aged, and my health is more important to me than being perceived as "cool". It might be more punk rock to smoke and not care about the consequences…but I have people depending on me and responsibilities now, and I have to think about something other than myself and whether or not I fit in I guess.

To each their own - I talk about vaping a lot, and most of my smoker friends have switched. I havent tried to guilt them into it or anything, just showing off my gear - genuinely excited about it.

As far as the "hipster" look... eh... any more my devices mostly fit in my hand, so its just the atomizer hanging out.. and so many different kinds of people vape anymore as a less harmful alternative to cigarettes, I think it would be akin to saying smoking is a punk habit (or a habit for villains and Europeans :p)

amtseung

Sep 22, 2014
California
To each their own - I talk about vaping a lot, and most of my smoker friends have switched. I havent tried to guilt them into it or anything, just showing off my gear - genuinely excited about it.

As far as the "hipster" look... eh... any more my devices mostly fit in my hand, so its just the atomizer hanging out.. and so many different kinds of people vape anymore as a less harmful alternative to cigarettes, I think it would be akin to saying smoking is a punk habit (or a habit for villains and Europeans :p)

Don't we all get excited about new gear ;)
I was actually one who was convinced to switch to vaping by an ex-smoker friend, and I in turn subconciously preached its benefits to those around me. Most of my friends only vape now, although a few still do both.

As for the hipster look... I care the least, when it comes to vapes, about how it looks. If it chucks bigger clouds than a fog machine in a nightclub, it works for me. Well, maybe if it looked like a phallus, I'd hold back.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
  • Deleted by DreamWithin
  • Reason: video inappropriate for ECF
Sounds like they were having a bad day for sure (some people aren't happy even at the happiest place on earth). Maybe they were angry they're chain smokers and you made a healthier choice than them.

No, it doesn't cause migraines. Smoking destroys the sense of smell too, so I'd be surprised if they could even tell much.

More than likely they just smoked too many cigarettes and gave themselves a headache (a real migraine is not something you can drive on). I see smokers do that all the time, they chain smoke and get a headache and then are totally perplexed why they have a headache, Angry that they still smoke, are on a long car ride and have a headache because they smoke too much they basically took it out on you.

I've never had an experience like that, being judged for vaping. Everyone I've ever met at the very least thought it was better than smoking cigarettes. That really sucks, sounds like some miserable people.

ellejewell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2015
Fl.
I am so sorry to hear your friends not being... well friends! You chose to give up analogs they chose to keep smoking them. If you are not pushing them to vape then the same should go toward your friends. Maybe next time they bring up about how bad it smells. Make a point to tell them that their analogs offend you but you have not said anything so if they want to keep hanging with you then they need to get over it. Your choice to vape does not hurt anyone. If it bothers them make them leave.

My husband and I vape but most of our family are smokers. Although I have converted a couple of them I still have the ones that chain smoke and if they want to ride in my car they have to put up with my vaping and are not allowed to smoke. However, if I go to their house I go outside to vape and put up with their analog stink in the house. I believe in respect and that it works both ways.

Reactions: BlueCanary

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
Trapped in somebody else's car, surrounded by cheap perfume and cigarette smoke....because this didn't happen to me, I apologize, but I was laughing and going "My God!" when I read this initial post. It would have been a lot less funny if I had been in that position - unable to complain, unable to leave. Kudos, BlueCanary. You handled that situation with grace, elegance and class.

If it makes you feel better, (it might..) I had just gotten off the train tonight, coming home from work. Standing at an RTA station waiting for the bus to take the final leg home. (My car's in the shop, but that's another story..)

Anyway,
Went outside the terminal, and fired up my IPV Mini. Nothing fancy - a BCC tank on an IPV Mini and ECBlend's Dragon's Milk. Standing there vaping for a few minutes, and this tall, dark-haired guy kinda waves and nods and me. Points at my IPV and says something in a language I never heard before in my life..

Shorter version of the guy (dark haired, no mustache on his buddy..)

"He says that what you have there smells very wonderful and he wants to know what it is."
Cinnamon Horchata, I reply..with a little bit of almond. Very good! and I grin at him...they walk over to me.

How much, the little guy points at the IPV..
Fifty, I say.
He points at the tank - five bucks.
His eyebrows go up. He grins, looks at his buddy and says something. Tall guy smiles, too!
He taps on my tank.
Ten dollars, I say. But enough to last for weeks. Much cheaper than cigarettes and they're better for you!

I pulled a few business cards out of my purse and gave them to him. We chatted on the bus ride home. Kurdish - his tall friend had just arrived here in the U.S. a few days earlier and they were going to open a bank account for him. The little guy is Shamam. A cook in a downtown hotel, he took my phone number and promised to call when he got the Baklava ready. (Tall guy LOVED Broke Smoker's Bakalava so much, I gave him the damn tank lol...then, I said what the hell and gave him my backup Spinner..)

Not everybody hates us vapers.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
So I went to Disney World last weekend. I had planned as if vaping would be limited to designated smoking areas, even though I didn't find anything one way or another posted on site that said that…I'd read online that Disney had made statements to that effect. Which is fine. I felt no more need to vape than I used to feel a need to smoke at a place like that, and I was traveling with three smokers. So, pretty much half of our days were spent finding out where the smoking sections were, walking to the smoking sections, and then sitting in the smoking sections while the smokers got their fix.

What I wasn't expecting was that I would get really annoyed at my smoker friends. REALLY annoyed. It started in the car on the way down, traveling with a close friend who I've known for about 4 years. She was chain smoking on the way down…I mean literally lighting one off the .... of another. Which, fine, I'd be lying if I said I'd never done the same thing. But since I've stopped smoking, I am aware of how horrible it smells, and how nasty the smoke is. I would never presume to tell her she couldn't smoke in her own car, and I live in fear of becoming one of "those people", the reformed ex-smoker, possibly only slightly less annoying than the loud door to door religious proselytizer. But it was super bugging me. And then, she starts complaining about my vaping. It smells. It's giving her a migraine. If I'm going to do it, I need to roll the window all the way down and not just crack it, and make sure I blow "that stuff" completely out of the car. (She's only cracking her window to smoke, mind you, because it's pouring down rain outside)

So fine. I have an eGrip with an rba and am currently vaping my own mixture of Rear-Diff/Charlie's Custard/Valyrian Ore that I like to call "Death By Pumpkin.' I'm not blowing huge clouds, and I don't ever blow my vapor in anyone's face. But it acts similar to smoke, enough that in a moving car some of it is going to get sucked back in and haze around inside. How she could smell it over the reek of burning turd that is cigarette smoke, I don't know. She continues to chain smoke the entire trip, pausing only to occasionally hose herself down with Vanilla body spray (which will give me hives if it gets on my skin, but that's my problem and so I'm careful not to come into contact with it rather than complaining because she's using it).

But this BS continued the entire trip. Apparently, any flavor that I vaped produced a "smell" that was horribly nauseating and bothersome to three adult chain smoking women who were also all bathing themselves in body spray between smokes. I had to be careful in the smoking areas to stand so that my vapor went away from their direction, or they'd start coughing. They were acting about my vaping the way non-smokers act about smoking. I tried not to let it get to me, but it put a serious damper on the trip. I felt like a leper, like even in the smoking section I was the one doing something super bothersome and so I had to segregate myself further away from even the smokers just to do my thing. I only saw one other person vaping the entire trip…and he was puffing on an MVP walking right down Main Street in Magic Kingdom and nobody said boo to him.

And at the end of the trip, there I was, my eyes feeling like they were full of gravel, my throat raw, my hair and clothes smelling disgusting, between the three of them smoking in the car and hanging out in the smoking section all day…I might as well have just smoked. It really made me think about the practice of putting vapers in the "smoking" section. Part of the reason I quit smoking was to get away from the smoke and the smell, but there I was in the middle of it. And being groused at by smokers, like I was the low person on the totem pole and my habit was somehow worse than their habit. I don't know if my vapor really is that bothersome (my husband, my non-smoking mom, and my non-smoking friends all say NO) or if…and this might be stretching…my smoking friends were somehow bothered because I wasn't "one of them" anymore and were trying to bully me back into the fold. (They did offer, repeatedly, because they just couldn't see how vaping was as "good" as a cigarette, and didn't believe me when I told them I found it much more pleasurable.)

I just erred on the side of keeping the peace, kept my mouth shut, and went on with my trip. Has anyone else experienced this kind of stuff from smoking friends? Is it possible that vapor could cause or worsen someone's migraine? I'm trying not to continue to have hurt feelings about it, but TBH it kinda makes me not want to hang out with these friends again in the future. If I were constantly bugging them about smoking, trying to convert them to vaping, etc I could maybe see them acting this way…but that is really not who I am, and I only discuss vaping and the fact that it helped me quit smoking with people if they ask directly.

I would cross them off my friend list, until such time as they ever quit smoking. It's bad enough to have to SMELL that crap, but to be treated that way too? I'd have gotten out of the car on the way down and called home for someone to come get me.

I really don't think they're you're friends, to have treated you that way -- real friends don't treat their friends that way.

Andria

Reactions: KattMamma

Metis

Nov 24, 2014
Denmark
Above situation has happened to me as well.

Coffee at the local hangout during breaks/at the park with a few cow-orkers after work/anywhere, having a toot off some pineapple gelato, cow-orkers tend to go "OMG That stinks!", "Don't blow that .... around me", and continue to light up their rollies of heavy dutch tobacco.

The non-smokers tend to do the "Don't blow that .... around me" and the smokers have the smell aversion.

I'm starting to recognise the pattern by now, and now try to avoid the situations by just doing the Pocket legos.

So close yet so far - Scandinavia and the World

Reactions: BlueCanary

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
In fairness though, some e-juices put off an odor that have a more...um...distinctive smell lol than others. Vaping around my son when he stops over helps. Brutal honesty from the overgrown moyuk! He tells me which ones 1) don't smell like anything a'tall 2) which ones smell pretty good and 3) which ones I should NEVER vape in public.

NOT that I'm excusing what BlueCanary's "friends" did in that car. That was beyond rude. I don't care WHAT she was vaping, they had no right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread