Provari 3 battery life indicator inaccurate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Belgium
Voltage/Watts setting?

tank/dripper?

Prebuilt/or handbuilt?

Resistance of coil?

Thanks, Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Always have it set to 12W
Mostly I use an Aspire Nautilus with P3 connector, 1.8 ohms coils (they read as 2 ohms), sometimes a carto tank with boge cartos (3 ohms)

Reactions: AstroTurf

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Both my p3's are going back for the 2nd time for this issue. It reads empty few times a day while the battery is over 60-70% full. Yes, cleaned threads, springs, new batteries, prayed and even sacrificed an animal in hopes of better out come.. : (
Back to the dragon till I get them back.

Okay. Well I've not been able to test 18490/18350 batteries since I don't have them, but it's consistent with all my (genuine) AW IMR 18650 batteries. I get decent amount of wear (also about a day to day and a half) out of them, but I should be able to get more, as is the case with my older provaris, which is my point.
Other than that I love my P3. Maybe time to step down to 18490s.

A fix. Provape just announced a free upgrade and fix for the P3. Version 38, which will solve all issues. One day turn around as well.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Good evening,

We are pushing out a new update to the P3. We are doing free updates to those that want to arrange to send their devices in to the ProVape spa or if you have a local dealer that has a programmer they can also update devices.

Here is a list of what has been updated:

* Support for .5 ohm tanks - The P3 now supports tanks down to .5 ohms.

* Low Battery Alert - When the device gets down to 18% left in the battery, the light will slowly flash yellow to alert you that it's getting low. (Many users requested we bring this back from the 2.5)

* CheckAll (1 second) - The CheckAll feature now has the option to set it to 1 second. This allows for a quick look at your settings without leaving the display on for 5 or more seconds. (Another user suggested feature)

* Battery Filtering - We have added some additional battery filtering to help with some problems reported by users saying the battery was empty when there was still energy left. Having the new spring and making sure all your connections are clean and tight is the main fix for this, but extra filtering will also help.

* Money Saved Counter - This new feature allows you to set the price of a pack of cigarettes and the P3 will keep track of: How many cigarettes avoided, puff count, and how much money you have saved on cigarettes, based on the amount you set per pack.

* Various bug fixes

USE NO-ALOX!!! I did not do any research on the Provari, since it was the mod I have always wanted since 2011. The longevity of quality and performance and history of reviews and members posting about the provari has always made me want one. I purchased a P3 a couple of weeks ago, and I noticed that a 1 ohm coil would just kill the battery with this mod. Due to work I did not fiddle with it much, so I kept using my same Kayfun/dual 18650 unregulated box combo. I couldnt rely on the Provari for work, I would have to take 3 batteries just to get through a 10 hour shift.

Finally last weekend, I sat down wondering why this $200 plus mod isnt giving me almost day of vape time as it should. Last regulated/vv mod I had was the Vamo, and it lasted me all day with one battery. So I pulled out the manual, did my research, changed the ohms 1.5 and 2.4, still the same thing. Literally one drag at 12 watts and 10% of battery life decrease. This is brand new and I still cleaned it like it said. I really thought that was how this mod was made, just to provide the 20w but I wasnt trying to vape that high. I lubed my threads for the extension caps and bottom cap with no-alox and i have not had that issue anymore. Battery life with the AW's I bought from Provape are giving me a full day of vape time at 12 watts. I have not tested anything close to 1 ohm yet, but so far a 2.4 ohm coil at 13 watts/5.5v has been lasting me a normal 18650 battery life with moderate to heavy use.

I just wonder why they do not say to use No-alox in the first place?

Shop IDEAL 4-oz Tube Noalox Anti-Oxidant at Lowes.com

Last edited:

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
The firmware on mine is 36 and the no-alox fixed my issues.

I know several people who have used noalox for years and have had no issues. Not saying it doesn't work, however Provape now recommends No-Ox. I just upgraded my P3's to ver 38 just to make sure I have no issues.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
FWIW I have the same issue with the P3, ordered another Ti (obviously it's not a deal breaker for me ;-) and will see how that works with presumably updated firmware. I have similar experiences, multiple 18350 batts, all brand new, Efest, AW IMR, it doesn't matter. I've changed springs, changed end-caps, and my problem is nowhere near as bad as your 30 puffs and it's dead, but OTOH I vape at a very conservative 8-10 watts.

What happens 100% of the time is my battery meter goes from showing 50 or 40% or whatever, then suddenly it's dead and at zero, so, same old same old solution, unscrew bottom cap, screw it back on, and magically I'm back to the "correct" battery meter reading, and can go back to using the P3 for a while.

I don't think this is spring and contacts, I think there's something wrong with how the current firmware is calculating what battery life is left, it gets confused.

Again, not a deal breaker for me, but it is extremely annoying when I'm dropping $300 (give or take, ok it was $279 for the shiny P3 and another, however much I just paid, I don't even know, for the Valentine's day P3 Ti).

With version 38 firmware, all battery-life problems have magically gone away across multiple P3's. I'm easily getting 2x the vape time offa 18350 with v38 vs. 36 firmware. Thanks! I'll check that off as fixed.

OTOH oh dear god no, the annoying yellow/gold das blinkenlight for, "your battery is low, lemme annoy you 'bout that!" that thankfully went away, has come back. Make this an optional/configurable setting please, so I can make it go away again.

Last edited:

pho

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
Belgium
My P3 was upgraded to the new firmware.
No fix for the battery life, for me at least, tho.
All my AW 18650s are still reporting "empty" when they hit about 3.6-3.7v. And indeed, that annoying blinking light is back. Very annoying for the other people in a dimly lit room. Seriously, guys...

Sigh
I'll wait for the P4 before I buy a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread