Breathless and Bacteria Virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesctheman

ECF Veteran
Hi I'll try to keep this short. I've been vaping from the beginning about 5/6 years. Gave up cigarettes for 2 yrs,started vaping again then smoking again. So I gave up cigs as new yrs eve.
This time in about JanI started sub ohm ing.
I had a subtank mini, started mixing my own juice nicotine free. Everything was fine. Then I bought an aspire as the subtank kept leaking.
That was OK, then I bought a subtank nano and started using it a lot so bought another nano. Around the same time.e I started adding nicotine to my eliquid. About a month ago I started waking up with a sore throat. Now for the last few weeks I've had a bacteria virus in my mouth throat. I keep getting breathless and cant do hardly anything. Feeling sick and really lightheaded. I don't know if sub ohm has started it off, I cut my nicotine down.
At the moment I'm only using 3% nicotine and nic free. My eliquid is mixed at 50/50
Ciuld it be just a coincidence or is sub ohm affecting my throat.
Advice pls and what can I do
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: unIGIon

cesctheman

ECF Veteran
Sorry forgot to say been doctors, after first 5 days they said use this throat spray. A week later I had anti biotics.. I finished them today and went doctors again and they said throat is fine e. But it doesn't seem fine to me
Could barely swallow this morning g..feeling like ......docs said rest and take paracetamol. Ffs can't do anything in this state.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Your particular set of symptoms isn't typical from what we read on ecig forums. I would experience the "heavy lung" syndrome if I vaped 50/50 juice mixes. VG is known for causing a sensation of insufficient oxygen and slightly labored breathing in some people.

Since your doctor didn't find anything serious, try some high PG juice in 90/10 or 80/20, or better still quit vaping and smoking for a week or two and see if you improve. What you are describing may just be allergies. An allergy test may reveal just what that is. Make sure your doctor prescribes it and have him pre-certify it with the insurance company first. Where I live, it's about $700 for the complete series of allergen scratch tests.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. I'm just relaying information I've accumulated from various sources.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
PG and nicotine are the two largest contributors to "throat hit". I tried to vape 80pg/20vg and my throat stayed too sore. I backed down to 70pg/30vg and I'm good. It should also be noted the most people who sub ohm drastically cut the nicotine level. The rule of thumb is "the better the delivery device the more juice consumed and therefore more nicotine ingested." Headaches, light headedness, and feeling sick are all symptoms of too much nicotine BUT all could be from a totally other health issue WHERE YOU SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR.

You might find some answers here :
HEALTH QUITTING Health, Safety and Vaping | E-Cigarette Forum

A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette | E-Cigarette Forum

Some people have a PG allergy and some people get a "heavy lung" from VG. It could be froim the nicotine or something in the flavors of one of your juices. You can use the search box on the upper right of the page above your name and avatar to look for more. Good luck in your vape journey.

sanctus_fumus

Jan 19, 2014
Southern US
I'm not a doctor, but have experienced a similar issue. It seems the high PG content along with sub-ohm increase the effects. PG is a known throat irritant. Couple that with sub-ohming and you get throat issues.

My solution was limiting the PG to the amount contained in my flavorings (used between 1% and 5%) and the rest is VG based nic and VG.
So the formula would be
Flavor %5
VG (VG + VG & nic) 90%
Distilled water %5

That will give a nice soothing slightly wet vape with minimal throat discomfort.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi I'll try to keep this short. I've been Vaping from the beginning about 5/6 years. Gave up cigarettes for 2 yrs,started vaping again then smoking again. So I gave up cigs as new yrs eve.
This time in about JanI started sub ohm ing.
I had a subtank mini, started mixing my own juice nicotine free. Everything was fine. Then I bought an aspire as the subtank kept leaking.
That was OK, then I bought a subtank nano and started using it a lot so bought another nano. Around the same time.e I started adding nicotine to my eliquid. About a month ago I started waking up with a sore throat. Now for the last few weeks I've had a bacteria virus in my mouth throat. I keep getting breathless and cant do hardly anything. Feeling sick and really lightheaded. I don't know if sub ohm has started it off, I cut my nicotine down.
At the moment I'm only using 3% nicotine and nic free.
My eliquid is mixed at 50/50
Ciuld it be just a coincidence or is sub ohm affecting my throat.
Advice pls and what can I do
Thanks in advance

You didn't say what nicotine strength you were using but you did say that you cut it down to 3%, so my guess is you were vaping 12mg at 20 to 30 watts which would probably be too much for you.

The higher wattage you vape, the lower nicotine strength you should use.

Bookworm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
USA
It's really tough to guess in situations like this, and that's all any of us are doing. It's hard to for me to suggest a solution since you have a sore throat and breathlessness.

For me, too much VG seems to make my lungs feel heavy and I seem to be much more breathless (I have asthma). But too much PG seems to give me a sore throat.

I seem to do best at 70pg/30vg or 60pg/40vg, but everyone is different.

I hope you can work it out and figure out what is causing this. Glad you've been going to a doctor.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
I mix vg and some distilled water, no pg (it tends to make my lymphs angry for some reason). Sometimes i get that heavy chest/unable to inhale fully feeling. My solution is get on a bike, go for a run, do some exercise. After those deep inhales/exhales i get rid of some vg phlegm or whachamacallit and i feel great. Note, that feeling does not come often and is usually a by-product of alcohol use + chain vaping (for me).
This is by no stretch of imagination a tested and approved method or solution, but it really does help me. Plus exercise can never be a bad thing :)

Reactions: bentnectar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread