Vape shops could be limited in Madison, WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Tobacco, e-cigarette shops could be limited to few sections of Madison via The Cap Times

The Cap Times said:
The zoning text amendment, proposed by Mayor Paul Soglin, redefines tobacco retailers and includes stores selling e-cigarette and vaporizer products. It also adds limitations to where those stores can be located, restricting tobacco retailers from opening within 500 feet of any establishment selling tobacco or within 1,000 feet of schools, day care centers, health facilities, parks, libraries and youth centers.

Sure, that sounds fair.
/Sarcasm.

Last edited:

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Florence County in northeast WI banned vaporizers anywhere regular cigarettes are banned. No exceptions.
They did this April 21 this year.

That ban was in place in Madison at the consumer level as of January from what I read. They just expanded it to include businesses. If/When it passes the city council: If the rent goes up on any of the grandfathered B&Ms where they have to move, they're screwed.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
What they're doing is restricting the areas where new tobacco retailers can open, plus defining e-cig retailers as tobacco retailers. Here's what the actual ordinance says: "Tobacco products includes e-liquids such as propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, flavorings, or other products for use in electronic cigarettes, personal vaporizers, or electronic nicotine delivery systems."
https://madison.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=3637685&GUID=D74AB431-FB08-4493-87B1-C0BB7D54AB54

Main landing page
City of Madison - File #: 37398

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Mayor Paul Soglin (an ex-smoker) is the primary sponsor of this garbage. Here's the pile of stinking BS he spouts:
The harmful effects of smoking are by now well known and accepted.1
1 According to statistics reported by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Center for Urban Initiatives & Research in collaboration with the Wisconsin Division of Public Health’s Tobacco Prevention and Control Program, in 2012, there were nearly 1 million smokers in Wisconsin, 20% of whom were adults, 13% high school youth, 2% middle school youth, and 14% of whom were smoking during pregnancy. According to this same data, an estimated 6,678 Wisconsinites died between 2008-2012 from illnesses directly related to smoking. Another 678 people died from illnesses and fires indirectly related to smoking. The annual economic toll of tobacco in Wisconsin was approximately $3.0 billion paid in direct health care costs and $1.6 billion in lost productivity.
There are no statistics to suggest that the relative data in Madison would differ markedly from the statewide data. See http://www4.uwm.edu/cuir/research/upload/Burden-of-Tobacco-2015.pdf

Beyond the Council’s finding, I’ve also reviewed the University of Wisconsin Center for Tobacco Research & Intervention information on e-cigarettes, which notes the meteoric rise of vaping in the last several years: in 2013, consumers spent $3 billion on e-cigs globally and sales are forecasted to increase by a factor of 17 by 2030. As part of that rise, vaping has been shown to be particularly popular with youth. In 2014, more teens used e-cigarettes than tobacco products. According to a study by the CDC, more than a quarter million youths who had never smoked a cigarette used electronic cigarettes in 2013. See E-cigs

That "Burden of Tobacco" rubbish is nothing but the CDC's fraudulent SAMMEC computer program: "SAMMEC software uses pre-populated relative risk estimates in several of the calculations. The relative risks in SAMMEC are unpublished age-adjusted estimates from the second wave of the American Cancer Society’s Cancer Prevention Study.12 These relative risks cannot be altered by the user."

And: "Deaths Indirectly Related to Smoking
Estimates of deaths due to secondhand smoke were calculated for Wisconsin by multiplying the associated Population Attributable Risks (PAR) for Ischemic Heart Disease, Lung Cancer, and SIDS deaths by the five-year average number of deaths for each relevant category in Wisconsin. The PAR’s are available in the 2005 California EPA report9 for the United States."

Their claims are fraudulent because they falsely blame smoking for diseases that are really caused by infection. Every Surgeon General report is proof of their frauds.
The Surgeon General Lies About Cancer
The Surgeon General Lies That Smoking Causes Heart Disease

For the government to commit fraud to deprive us of our liberties is automatically a violation of our Constitutional rights to the equal protection of the laws, just as much as if it purposely threw innocent people in prison. And for the government to spread lies about bogus smoking dangers is terrorism, no different from making phony bomb threats.

Reactions: caroloto

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
"No tobacco retailer shall be located on a site which is within five hundred
(500) feet of a site occupied by another tobacco retailer or any establishment selling tobacco products or tobacco paraphernalia"

That part of the ordinance to me seems like it's intended to protect sales of BT cigarettes and BT cigalikes from vape shop competition. What sort of twisted logic is behind claiming its intention is to protect children?

Reactions: KattMamma

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
That part of the ordinance to me seems like it's intended to protect sales of BT cigarettes and BT cigalikes from vape shop competition. What sort of twisted logic is behind claiming its intention is to protect children?

Pretty much. Majority of tobacco retailers are convenience stores and gas stations.
Depending upon where you are in Wisconsin it has a very askew view of the political world.

If you feel bored and curious you can map the vape shops. One is across from a city run bike path and a few blocks from the high school, another is around the corner from a park. Then to get an idea of how restricted the B&Ms are, map tobacco retailers like Speedway/Super America, 7-11, Kwik Trip, Walmart, etc...

Technically a doctor's office/dentist's office could be considered a 'health facility' by someone. The language in the bill is vague and I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional. - I hope the Madison vaping community is fighting for the B&Ms and their rights with their city counselors.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
"No tobacco retailer shall be located on a site which is within five hundred
(500) feet of a site occupied by another tobacco retailer or any establishment selling tobacco products or tobacco paraphernalia"

However, it looks like existing vape shops get grandfathered, too.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Pretty much. Majority of tobacco retailers are convenience stores and gas stations.
Depending upon where you are in Wisconsin it has a very askew view of the political world.

If you feel bored and curious you can map the vape shops. One is across from a city run bike path and a few blocks from the high school, another is around the corner from a park. Then to get an idea of how restricted the B&Ms are, map tobacco retailers like Speedway/Super America, 7-11, Kwik Trip, Walmart, etc...

Technically a doctor's office/dentist's office could be considered a 'health facility' by someone. The language in the bill is vague and I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional. - I hope the Madison vaping community is fighting for the B&Ms and their rights with their city counselors.

According to the ordinance, "Tobacco Retailer. A tobacco retailer is any establishment that either devotes twenty percent (20%) or more of floor area or display area to the sale or exchange of tobacco products or tobacco paraphernalia." So that wouldn't include convenience stores and gas stations. And probably doctor and dentist offices that are in office buildings (rather than freestanding clinics) are treated as office buildings, not health facilities.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
According to the ordinance, "Tobacco Retailer. A tobacco retailer is any establishment that either devotes twenty percent (20%) or more of floor area or display area to the sale or exchange of tobacco products or tobacco paraphernalia." So that wouldn't include convenience stores and gas stations.

I'm looking at the set up for future regulation. I stand corrected. I should have clarified. All they would have to do is redefine tobacco retailer. Either by the percentage or even arguably by sales if they could make the numbers fit.

Even if someone maps "smoke shop" they can see where the problem falls.

And probably doctor and dentist offices that are in office buildings (rather than freestanding clinics) are treated as office buildings, not health facilities.

Of course they mean hospitals. Though that doesn't mean that it doesn't open the door for future stricter regulations to redefine what constitutes a health facility. No one is going to challenge a proposal to expand a definition unless they were aware of the larger impact.

It is a sneaky way to prop the door open.

Reactions: KattMamma

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
perhaps I am naive God knows there was no help for tobacco smokers back in the day but the shenanigans have become so ludicrous that non smoking nurses can see through some of the BS in other words would it not be feasible to mount some sort of legal challenge on behalf of vapers and suppliers under constitutional or Canadian charter rights -just wondering? WHO and health Canada sold out long ago and I recently observed how quickly politicians can pass and even change laws to suit the agenda but I did also recently see a class action law suit get settled out of court for illegal search and seizure when 48 psych patients were strip searched due to "contraband -smokable Insense" being brought in to the facility. Is there any hope re a legal challenge?

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I'm looking at the set up for future regulation. I stand corrected. I should have clarified. All they would have to do is redefine tobacco retailer. Either by the percentage or even arguably by sales if they could make the numbers fit.

Even if someone maps "smoke shop" they can see where the problem falls.

Of course they mean hospitals. Though that doesn't mean that it doesn't open the door for future stricter regulations to redefine what constitutes a health facility. No one is going to challenge a proposal to expand a definition unless they were aware of the larger impact.

It is a sneaky way to prop the door open.

Well, considering that they are the City Council, they can do that any time they feel like doing it, so there is no need for them to "prop the door open."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread