Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Perhaps so ... there was another pic post I was going to use ... but ECF is supposed to be family friendly.

Oh, the one you did post was very nice .. I was gonna ask you if that was from your personal stash .. ?? You can tell me, as long as Janet's not listening .. ;)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Open Google+ in the top left corner click on home for drop down list click on Profile then click on your name then click on more options then add a nickname. Easy Peasey
Thanks. Done.

As much as some people hate to hear it, there's not a one of us who got where we are without lots of help and support from OUTSIDE of ourselves.
I saw a koozy once that said, "I'm good. I don't need luck." Or something to that effect.

My thought? You're good? That's some darn good luck!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I ask: how committed to the job were you when working for $1.50 per hour in 1967?

Ummm... '67 ya say. Just so happened that my W2 for that year was 'round $2940, including combat pay ($65 per month), before taxes. Worked 12 hours a day, 6 days a week; unless there was a special 'operation' underway, then all week. All that works out to 'bout 65¢ an hour with a free bunk and C-rations.

And I had it made compared to the ground troops out in the 'field'!!!

...clothes were all paid for even the laundry

My first clothing issue was free; any replacements, outta my pocket. Also got a free issue when the USAF went from OD to jungle fatigues and boots in '67; that's it. The only laundry that the gov did for us was our bedding (aka linen exchange) when I lived in the barracks.

Yet, there's a great tendency for every generation to feel that they are uniquely superior.

Every generation also tends to believe that they had it tougher than any other generation.

I personally have not experienced that in general. I do believe that our generation has had it 'bout as good as it gets, thanx to 'the Greatest Generation'. Hope my progeny can say the same some day.

I'll check in when I get back to Texas next week. Thanks again for all your prayers and support!!!

What a pleasant surprise!
snoopy.gif

Thank you for going through the effort to update us! Have a safe trip and God speed...

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Ummm... '67 ya say. Just so happened that my W2 for that year was 'round $2940, including combat pay ($65 per month), before taxes. Worked 12 hours a day, 6 days a week; unless there was a special 'operation' underway, then all week. All that works out to 'bout 65¢ an hour with a free bunk and C-rations.

My first clothing issue was free; any replacements, outta my pocket. Also got a free issue when the USAF went from OD to jungle fatigues and boots in '67; that's it. The only laundry that the gov did for us was our bedding (aka linen exchange) when I lived in the barracks.

I personally have not experienced that in general. I do believe that our generation has had it 'bout as good as it gets, thanx to 'the Greatest Generation'. Hope my progeny can say the same some day.

What a pleasant surprise!
snoopy.gif

Thank you for going through the effort to update us! Have a safe trip and God speed...
Yep they paid for our laundry if you didn't mind them not ironed perfectly and the starch was something else. Of course like we always said the AF they didn't know what starch was.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Oh, the one you did post was very nice .. I was gonna ask you if that was from your personal stash .. ?? You can tell me, as long as Janet's not listening .. ;)

be werry, werry quiet ... she's out in the kitchen making potato salad ... the answer is .... opps ... here she comes I'll tell you later. :rolleyes:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Coincidentally, if it matters .. I may be able to pop into Deb's Place today after 6:00 Central Time .. my bandwidth at the shop is not really the greatest when it comes to anything but audio .. but my home ISP supports about anything speed wise, up to and including inversion tables .. ;) .. I'll be home after 6, so after I forage around for my dinner, mix up something cocktail wise or whatever might be my favorite form of relaxant for the evening, if anyone is interested in joining me, holla ... otherwise, I'll probably just settle in with some Game of Thrones ..

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Of course like we always said the AF they didn't know what starch was.

OMG, ya just reminded me of an incident at Da Nang AB, RVN. Toward da end of my tour, hot dang, a Vietnamese laundry was opened at one end of Camp Da Nang (USAF side).

Bundled up my fatigues and hustled down dere. "Wash and very light starch, please". Three hours later, picked up my 'package' and was impressed with their work and prices!

Reported to work da next morn as da 'sharpest' A2C (airman second class) 'in country'. While changing out an F4 radar threat scope on da flightline, sweating in da relentless heat, I noticed an unpleasant odor. Checked 'round the cockpit and found nuttin' suspicious. As I walked back to my shop, dat odor seemed to follow me.

Well, come to find out, da laundry used fish bone meal as their 'starch'. Heat, sweat and 'activated' FBM equals...
Pepe.gif

So much fer starch stench...

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
My wife is going to put me on a new diet - it actually sounds interesting. She got it from one of those doctor shows on the radio.

It seems that using a treadmill burns 11.6 calories a minute, but kissing burns 6.4 and hugging burns 17.8. So I have now been directed to kiss and hug her 100 times a day (minimum) to lose weight. :w00t:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Starch .. ?? You guys had starch .. ?? I fondly remember a fresh faced Butterbar just off the plane .. my squad had just gotten back from a 3 day bivouac, and we walked by the dude .. who proceeded to "dress us down" in his best impersonation of outrage .. we all looked at each other, busted out laughing, said du ma and kept on walking .. he had no clue ..

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Yeah, I about wore out "Crime of the Century" on vinyl .. and as you probably know, for some odd reason, Steely Dan produced some of the absolute best precision as well as audio clarity .. always great demo material on a good system if you want to impress someone ..
Now those boys I have them all on Vinyl. Have you listened to "The Last Mall" great album. They're as good or better today as they where "back in the day." Doree and I went and saw them a few years ago at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, backed by the Virginia Symphony. Outstanding concert. It was right before Last Mall came out.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com

And you could have just walked away from that job any time you wanted, right? :) From the heart, thank you for your service my brother!

Coincidentally, if it matters .. I may be able to pop into Deb's Place today after 6:00 Central Time

if anyone is interested in joining me, holla
I'll check in about that time, UW. If no one is there, just stay connected for a few and you'll soon have company!

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Now those boys I have them all on Vinyl. Have you listened to "The Last Mall" great album. They're as good or better today as they where "back in the day." Doree and I went and saw them a few years ago at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, backed by the Virginia Symphony. Outstanding concert. It was right before Last Mall came out.

Yes ..

Donald Fagen .. who is a pretty good writer of not just music .. if you want a pretty good read, check his stuff in Rolling Stone Mag .. he cracks me up ..

Donald Fagen's Coachella Tour Diary, Part 1 | Rolling Stone

And of course, we know what the Band Name "Steely Dan" was taken from .. :)

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
And of course, we know what the Band Name "Steely Dan" was taken from .. :)
We do? Steely Dan never did float my boat but I certainly listened to them on the radio a lot. Still, never heard an explanation of the name. (I could Google it, but what fun would that be?)

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
We do? Steely Dan never did float my boat but I certainly listened to them on the radio a lot. Still, never heard an explanation of the name. (I could Google it, but what fun would that be?)

I'm afraid an explanation might trigger a mod drop by .. but the WIKI history in and of itself is a good read ...

Steely Dan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
My wife is going to put me on a new diet - it actually sounds interesting. She got it from one of those doctor shows on the radio.

It seems that using a treadmill burns 11.6 calories a minute, but kissing burns 6.4 and hugging burns 17.8. So I have now been directed to kiss and hug her 100 times a day (minimum) to lose weight. :w00t:

Perfect! .....

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread