Indiana Call to Action: Multiple Indiana bills would threaten access to and use of e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Reactions: mcol

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Left another comment on Pence's facebook page though I think it's pretty clear that the opinions of the people in this state don't matter.

Governor Pence, you've seen the comments here in regards to HB 1432. People are quitting smoking in Indiana and electronic cigarettes are how they are doing it. You absolutely cannot, with a clear conscience, sign this bill into law knowing that Hoosiers have finally found an affective quit smoking method that will continue to grow and soon outpace traditional tobacco cigarette sales. No FDA approved nicotine replacement therapy has shown this level of success, not even close. Indiana legislators are not out on the streets seeing first hand what vaping has done and will continue to do for those who have not been able to quit with other methods. You have to listen to those who know, who experience it and can tell you what this industry is all about. It's not a tobacco industry thing, it's not a corporate business thing, it's a "we the people thing" that has grown to what it is today because we the people made it grow, we did this, we opened the shops, we design and produce the open system products that work and we help each other. You cannot take our creation and hand it over to the tobacco companies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Left another comment on Pence's facebook page though I think it's pretty clear that the opinions of the people in this state don't matter.

Governor Pence, you've seen the comments here in regards to HB 1432. People are quitting smoking in Indiana and electronic cigarettes are how they are doing it. You absolutely cannot, with a clear conscience, sign this bill into law knowing that Hoosiers have finally found an affective quit smoking method that will continue to grow and soon outpace traditional tobacco cigarette sales. No FDA approved nicotine replacement therapy has shown this level of success, not even close. Indiana legislators are not out on the streets seeing first hand what vaping has done and will continue to do for those who have not been able to quit with other methods. You have to listen to those who know, who experience it and can tell you what this industry is all about. It's not a tobacco industry thing, it's not a corporate business thing, it's a "we the people thing" that has grown to what it is today because we the people made it grow, we did this, we opened the shops, we design and produce the open system products that work and we help each other. You cannot take our creation and hand it over to the tobacco companies.

I really Like this penny.

Because somehow in all the Hype and Rhetoric about e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids the Core Concept gets lost.

And that is that e-Cigarettes are a Viable HRT for those who Smoke.

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
We are rolling out the plans we made for this event and putting some fine points on them. .
You mentioned before that it would matter which was signed first, this or SB 463. Since 1432 was signed first, with, I assume, 463 not far behind, what will that change?

I really wish IN would update it's website - hard to keep track when they don't

Reactions: four2109

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
463 has different dates, penalties, and amendments to HB 1432. If it is signed last, which is likely, it takes president over the overlapping regs in HB 1432.

There is not as much crap in 463 (do I have my numbers straight?), but there are consequences. It became a catch all and also requires a summer session hearing, so there is some punishment to the general assembly too.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
463 has different dates, penalties, and amendments to HB 1432. If it is signed last, which is likely, it takes president over the overlapping regs in HB 1432.

There is not as much crap in 463 (do I have my numbers straight?), but there are consequences. It became a catch all and also requires a summer session hearing, so there is some punishment to the general assembly too.

Hoosier, what made 463 go to summer session? And can 463 still die because of having to go to summer session?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
No, it calls for a summer session to debate treating vaping like smoking. Since it dealt with tobacco tax originally and then added vape stuff, like the tobacco retail permit requirement to sell vape gear, it opens the door to taxing it under the same framework. Thus, with the time crunch, it had an amendment to push that debate to summer.

it is a mind boggling bill to read in its final form...

Reactions: zoiDman

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Short answer, yes. We've been in talks with some "after the fact" help for a few months. Oh, the plans that have been made and scrapped over the course of this...

Details on summer session topics in the bill yet to be signed:
1) should eliquid be considered a tobacco product

2) should vaping be added to the state smoking ban

3) should vaping be included in cessation efforts

4) should eliquid be taxed

Work is ongoing to prep to speak on those topics as they are required to call on experts from both sides...

Reactions: pennysmalls

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Hmmm...including vaping in cessation efforts when e liquid is not considered a medical product. Interesting, also a bit unnerving when it's a government body pondering it. There's money in them there hills, I mean e liquid bottles!
I read that as wasting cessation money on trying to encourage us to quit the evil vaping. But then they will lose their tax money again... These people really aren't very smart.

Reactions: pennysmalls
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread